1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Dungeon and Dragons Online Gamers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alt, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a previous alt-aholic from Khyber although recent changes has made me focus on half of my toons. I've seldom met LGBTQ people since I'm a solo/regular group player. Any of ya'll play in any other servers?

I'm not that dramatic no matter what the forums say that Khyberians are.

2. lukeluvznicki13

awk I didn't know this game existed xD! I thought it was some fictional thing on suite life of zack and cody back those many years ago :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nope, I haven't played D&D on paper or online but I've always wanted to try. Would anyone say it's better to start off online or offline?

4. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to play it, but I never really got too into it because I always was a solo player (I'm kind of a groupie). It seemed like a pretty nice game, though. l3 Maybe a little bit awkward to understand though since at that time I'd never touched DnD in written form even.

5. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never played the tabletop, offline, version. I would say that starting off online is easier since for the tabletop you need to find a GM to make and oversee the games and find other people to play besides you. Although I believe that the tabletop depending on which Edition you are playing makes the game harder or more streamline due to the amount of rules.

Although Dungeons and Dragons Online, DDO, is a bit difficult I would honestly say that the character creation and customization is greater than any other game. It is a good thing but if you're a newbie then you will need the help of a higher level player for the beginning.

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2013 at 10:45 AM ----------

Ah I see, usually solo players are the people who have been playing for a few years, I can see where it would be harder for a solo-player. Did you post in the forums by chance to see if you could duo for a bit and learn the ins and out of soloing?

6. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I kind of play DDO. I have a Rogue/Paladin/Fighter toon, but I haven't played in about two years because my computer sucks and I need better everything so it doesn't lag to oblivion. If by the time I have a computer good for it I still have an account, I'll re-download it and pick up where I left off. I picked up levels of Rogue for lockpicking and UMD, Paladin for Lay on Hands and the ability to use Cure wands, and Fighter for damage output. I don't know what the level cap is now, last I knew it was 25, but after Fighter level 12th, from then on, I plan to focus on my Paladin and Rogue levels.

7. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nehhh... I didn't get to do that. That was during the point in my gaming "career" that I never really frequented forums. I turned that around when I became a little bit more of a social butterfly, though. But I'm the kind of person that gets bored rather quickly when I'm playing solo, no matter what game (with the exception of some shooters).

8. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is an online game? :O
    I've only played it with pen and paper, I can't imagine it being online, isn't some of the flow lost? :confused:

9. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kind of, but not really. Character creation is done with a point-buy system (which I hate), but you still gain XP and level up, work on skill points, add to ability scores when you reach certain levels, pick feats, and have all sorts of options for building the kind of character you want to build. About the only difference between pen and paper and online is that you see it happening as you do it, not with miniatures or in your head, and you don't roll any dice. There are other ways DDO is set apart from pen and paper D&D, but by and large, it's the same.

10. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Discovered it a few months ago and I do play occasionally on Orien or Ghallanda...

Well, mechanics are only superficially similar, once you get deeper into it (starting with attack rolls working "backwards" that is, the attack you do at the full attack bonus is the last not the first, spells using up spell points instead of being used up themselves and a lot of other differences)

But I was actually surprised by how well they translated the way experience works from pen&paper to online: unlike most other MMOs, you don't get XP for every single kobold you defeated, you get XP at the end of a quest, with various bonuses/maluses for what you did (although, unlike in pen&paper they're standardized and so can be gamed.) This gives DDO quite an unusual dynamics I really liked.

What I didn't like is that there's some need to repeat-grind the same quests as you level, even though paid subscription mitigates most of it.

11. chrisV

i'm actually currently in a game of mutants and masterminds. it's a bit different from d&d, but it's fun, mainly because we don't take it seriously whatsoever.

12. Nikky DoUrden

I've never played P&P type of games, only the video games, then I realized Baldur's Gate is actually based on P&P thus I liked D&D, but I did play D&D outside of video games on forums some times, but it was long ago!

13. datshifter

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I play DDO and PNP. Both have pros and cons. Since DDO is a game they had to tweek it from PNP just for balancing and better gaming.

14. FrozenFae

I mainly play PnP D&D, but have been known to muck about on the online game from time to time as well. I prefer the pen and paper tabletop game however.

Thelanis is the server I usually play on, but I haven't been there in months and months.

15. EatYourRikkios

I've played with friends online via Skype and liberal use of instant messaging! But seriously? I didn't realize that was actually a real thing! What version is the online version based off of? I usually play 3.5, and I've only ever played the tabletop version, soo...

That really sounds awesome, though! Definitely checking it out!

16. roadstowonders

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always seen others play tabletop version but I've never had the chance to though I would love to try both online and tabletop. ^_^