1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is gaming Good or bad

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by decadus, Dec 10, 2013.

1. decadus

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just wanted everyones personal opinion,
    i might get the new generation consoles, but my music playing might be more impotant

Pro: can be social,
    stress relieving entertainment
    coping mechanism
    creative and imaginative
    builds hand eye coordination, can be a learning tool, or for fitness (wii fit etc.)

Con: could be doing something "constructive"
    for some people (me :lol:slight_smile: its addictive
    can be anti-social
    costs lots of money
    i shouldnt put this in here but unfortunately, lots of people will give you shit for being a "gamer"

2. Foxface

I don't really see it as inherently good or bad. It passes ime and entertains so I don't see a problem with that

It's up to the end user to commit as much or as little time to it as they like so I don't judge gamers or non-gamers

Foxface

3. kem

kem

It's not good or bad in itself. However, spending way too much time playing can get in the way of other aspects of your life, but that's not a problem exclusive to video games. Anything in excess is bad for you.

I wish more people would consider video games as a form of art; such as literature, filmography or music.

4. Kreiger

Its like reading books or watching TV, its a fine thing to pass the time with, as long as you don't let it take over your life. I wish people would stop saying its a source of violence though, because its really not.

5. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^I agree, I hate it when "experts"(i.e. political thinktank "scientists") blame a mental-illness fueled rampage on GTA or something. Besides, those people are going to be sorry they didn't play video games when the Covenant comes. ....and they ARE coming.

6. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be good, as it stimulates the brain and encourages critical and creative thinking. There's also bad, as it can be "addictive" and lead to extreme self-imposed isolation. I'd say gaming in general is neutral, neither good nor bad. It depends on who's playing what for how long and how they act when they're not playing.

7. Hexagon

Gaming is neither good or bad, it just is. Its the gamer who choses to do good or bad, not the game.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed with most; it's just a medium. Anything pleasant can be addicting or contribute to destruction.

But used with care, it is a force for good. Games have helped advance software and storytelling techniques by great leaps, and have certainly spurred imaginations that might otherwise have shriveled. I don't know what kind of person I'd be if video games never existed, but I might not recognize him. :S

9. Satoru

I agree with RSwordsman. I owe my happiest memories to video games and I don't know where I would be without them. Just like with any medium, it is up to the individual what he or she takes from video games. Video games often get associated with ant-socialness, nerds, and other seemingly 'bad' things that may or may not be true. Video games can be as social as you want them to be or vise versa with all the competitive play nowadays and potential social interaction.

10. Mr Loopy30

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with some of the replies. It doesn't lead to violence. People just think there's a reason to everything when there isn't. And for people that think it's a waste of time, some of the competitions can win you quite a lot of money if you do competitive gaming. As an example, the Call of Duty championships winning clan won $1,000,000. It also opens you to a new world of people.

11. Ticklish Fish

Like how books are radical? or whatever bad rep books people think books would have?