1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help new laptop

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by toushirojaylee, Dec 14, 2013.

1. toushirojaylee

Hi all. Just bought Samsung ativ book 2 as xmas gift to myself. xD
    Here's the specs.

ATIV Book 2 (NP270E4E) | Samsung Laptops

Any suggestion for cool games?
    Games that will not give me headaches..hehe

Suggestions as well for accessories?

I got a4tech padless mouse and deep cool cooling pad so far. Haven't thought of a brand for good headphones and speakers etc yet.

I'm not really a techy person. I just need this for studies and low-advanced gaming.

Oh and where can I download netbeans (updated version), office 365 and antivirus for free?

Need help! xD Thank you in advance!(!)

2. Eevar

I recommend Sennheiser headphones, as for speakers I have no idea (I use an amp).

Assuming 7.4 is the latest version https://netbeans.org/downloads/. Says its free.

I don't use Microsoft Office so without pirating it, no idea. (Hint: the ship has sailed to Peru). Though if its just a Word Processor you're after Abiword is pretty good, and lets you save in many file-types including .docx, which to my knowledge is what the most recent Microsoft Word uses.

As for anti-virus, take your pick there are hundreds of them, though I'd personally recommend Avast! or Malwarebytes Anti-malware (make sure the boxes to activate any trials for pro are unchecked). Avast has a realtime scanner in its free version, Malwarebytes does not.

3. biggayguy

Logitech makes a decent pair of communication headphones for around thirty dollar. Try bit torrents for software.

4. OnigonStar

Logitech is a great company that makes great peripherals. Their Z313 is a great affordable 2.1 speaker (2 speakers and bass box). Their Marathon M705 Wireless mouse is great, it has a battery life of 3 years...yes, 3 years, and it uses their unifying (can connect up to 6 logitech device onto one unifying receiver) micro receiver. As for keyboard, it doesn't really matter unless you're getting a mechanical keyboard.

As for games, I would stay to anything not to graphically demanding. Moba games like League of Legends would run okay. But seeing as you're on a laptop with a Dual Core Processor, 4 gigs of RAM, and no dedicated graphics card...you can run a lot of games just nothing to graphically intense :slight_smile:

need any more help message me anytime! ^-^

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

for an Office suite, you'll have to either torrent or buy one XD Open Office is free actually. For anti-virus, I personally use Microsoft's Security Suite and Malware-Bytes, have never had anything serious happen to me.

Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Malware-Bytes (Free but you can pay for a subscription): Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC

5. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I used to do competitive gaming and I can safely say that any headphones labelled as "gaming" are really over priced.

I'd go for Sennheiser if you want a cheap, decent, headset. You can pick up cheap gaming mice easily, such as the Roccat Pira (wired not wireless) for nothing.

I really need price range though, so I can be exact. My setup isn't exactly cheap, my headset alone is worth $300 (Vmodas are AWESOME! If you have the money I highly recommend them!)

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As for Office, you might try LibreOffice. It is 100% free. LibreOffice supports MS formats. Support is not 100% perfect, but it's more than good enough for most people most of the time. I use LibreOffice, and I just formatted a document that needed to be in Word with a particular format. It worked flawlessly.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 06:40 AM ----------

Another Office replacement worth considering is SoftMaker FreeOffice. It's a free version of SoftMaker Office. Their hope: you'll like it enough that you'll cough up the money for the full version.

However, FreeOffice has one limit: it cannot write Office 2007 files, like the new ".docx" word format. To get that, you have to cough up money for the full version of SoftMaker Office. FreeOffice can read ".docx" and it has full read/write support for the older Word format (.doc).

In the past, SoftMaker Office had the best support for Word, which is why I keep a copy of FreeOffice installed. (I like other aspects, but day to day LibreOffice works better for me.)

7. Mlpwoof

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my ideas for games that would run well on this type of computer you can play most Value games on it. They all use the same game engine and the engine runs well on most computers. These games include The half life games, L4D1 and 2, Tf2, Portal 1 and 2, and even counter strike games. Also if you like minecraft it would run good on the laptop.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really up on PC games anymore but diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 aren't bad choices.

PS - Samsung makes awesome computers TVs and phones. All of which I have.