1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Randy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in the market for a tablet but I do not know what kind of tablet to get. I thought of getting an ipad but for what I'm planning to use the tablet for (notes and everyday use) it seems kind of a waste of a lot of money to get an ipad just for that. Then I thought to get an Android tablet, but I don't take a liking to Google Play. Then I thought to get a Windows 8 tablet, but I can't stand my Windows 8 laptop.

What type of tablet does everyone have (if any) and how do you like said tablet?

2. ninerw

I have an ipad 2 and don't use it for notes per se, but I do take it to class with my readings on it so that I can follow during class. Other people in my program have the ipad mini and they take it everywhere for notes. I think the mini may be the best option, but then again I know nothing about the other tablet makers.

3. Nikky DoUrden

depands what you're looking to do with your tablet
    I have asus memo pad
    I use it for reading mostly and its doing fine :slight_smile:

4. kem

kem

You can install custom firmware, such as MIUI, on an Android, which is an advantage if you're willing to tinker with the device; even if you don't like to play by google's terms you can enjoy the tablet.
    We've been considering getting a Wi-Fi tablet for the house. I'd prefer to have an iPad because I'm already mostly in Apple's software ecosystem, but I think Nexus 7 is a decent competitor as well, nice look and great interior.

5. castle walls

I own a Nexus 7 and I absolutely love it. I mostly use it for reading and internet browsing. However, I also play games and watch movies on it. I usually travel roughly 300 miles per week by train or bus and I wanted something that would help me stay entertained but wouldn't take up a bunch of room or be too heavy.

I prefer a 7 inch tablet because I am really concerned with portability. If I want a large screen then I'll just bring my laptop. Since you said you plan on taking this to class, I would definitely take size into consideration. Are you looking for a full size tablet or would you prefer a smaller one?

If you're just using the tablet for notes and everyday use, then I don't suggest getting a really expensive tablet. Like you said in your post, it would probably be a waste of money considering what you want to use the tablet for.

If price is an issue for you, I would also suggest buying an older generation of tablet. The older tablet generations should provide what you're looking for and you'll get them for a lot less money than the current generation. Both 1st generation versions of the Ipad Mini and Nexus 7 are good tablets. However, due to price, higher resolution display, and hardware, I'd go with a 1st generation Nexus 7. If I recall correctly, those two tablets are in roughly the same ballpark though so I think it comes down to personal preference (Apple vs. Google).

If you would like to buy a current generation of tablet, CNET compares the new Ipad Mini and Nexus here. If you're interested in the previous generation of tablets, CNET did a similar video comparing 1st generation Ipad Mini and 1st Generation Nexus 7 here

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dug around more and found out that the apple store has a refurbished 1st gen iPad Mini for $250. I just find my laptop too annoying to bring to my classes. Even then, it is too big to fit on one of those college chair thingamajibs so a small tablet would probably be a wise choice to fit my needs at hand. Now that I think about it, I would much want to use technology in my teaching as much as possible and I don't know if there are many apps on Google Play that I can use for teaching. Price is not an issue for me. The cap that I will be willing to spend on the tablet is about $400.

Seeing as there is an iPad mini w/ and w/o Retina Display, that brings me to my next question. What is the difference between Retina Display and no Retina Display?

7. kem

kem

Well, the retina display is simply a sharper and overall better display. I'm not sure how much more power it consumes, if any, but I'd wager it's definitely worth it for the overall experience. I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think the more recent ipad mini with the retina display has better internals as well so that's a definite advantage over regular one, too.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Save your money. Get a laptop. Don't get the Ipad. It is so expensive and offers f*ck all. Anything but Apple products.

9. castle walls

Then the size you're looking at is perfect.

If you think that Google Play won't suit your needs than Apple would probably be a better choice. The tablet would be pretty useless if you can't get it to do what you need.

If your limit is $400 then price may be a bit of an issue for the Ipad Mini with retina display. What are your storage needs? Ipad Mini with retina display came out pretty recently so if you want to spend under $400 you'll be limited to a 16GB Wifi only device (if you buy brand new). If you buy used/refurbished/open box/etc. I'm sure that you'll find an Ipad Mini with more storage and/or cellular data for under retail price.

This CNET article compares the first generation Ipad Mini with the current generation here. The Latinos Post also have a great article comparing the specs here. It looks like the new model has better specs and speed. The CNET article said, "Use the new Mini once and the old one is doorstop material."

I hope I was helpful

10. lukeluvznicki13

well most app stores have lots of different note taking applications especially that of evernote.
    I'm unsure if one note would be on windows tablets or not.

11. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tablets aren't really very good at all for taking notes, unless you buy a keyboard (but in that case you're better off just getting a netbook).

12. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoever said ipads do nothing...don't speak without knowing. I'm not an apple guy but I got an ipad two years ago and I can gladly say it is the gadget I use the most. It does absolutely EVERYTHING.

I'm not saying android doesn't but my experience with my ipad is that it is totally worth the price .

Depends what you want it for tho...

Also, I kmow someone with an ipad mini. It isnt the retina display and compared to my ipad 3 without retina it looks quite inferior in the display. I would consider a refurbished iPad 3/4 rather than a mini especially if you are gonna take notes.

#12 huehue, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  13. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Considering that I have an 8 GB iPod Touch and a 8 GB iPhone, I wouldn't say that I would need an iPad with a large storage space. I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished iPad since I have nothing against a refurbished item.

14. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me,once you get it you will want everything in it , and the 8gb will run out quick ,specially with apps (I got 10gb of apps in mine and hardly have any games...)

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    they don't have 8 gig ipads, so I won't need to worry about that. But I get what you mean, I've had numerous situations where I had to delete stuff to get more important stuff on there.

16. kem

kem

Oh please! It's expensive, yes, but the user experience, the build quality and the software gamut is so excellent that you can use the same hardware and software for years. Note that I'm not saying Android tablets degrade faster nor that they are worse than iPads, you just have to be more careful with which manufacturer and model you choose. Touchwiz for example can be quite taxing on some of Samsung older models, and some companies (and apparently some US carriers) add a lot of bloatware...

Apple offers iWork for new iDevice purchases without charge: Numbers, Pages and Keynote. Three polished applications for all your note-taking needs (I prefer pen and paper). Not to mention all the great 3rd party apps, though you can find most of those on Android as well.
    If you're not going for Apple, get the newer Nexus 7.
    Oh and if you already have an iPhone, I suggest you get a Wi-Fi only tablet. I don't think there's any point in carrying two cellular devices when you can just share your network to your tablet.

#16 kem, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  17. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh gurrrl! Please. Don't make me put on my spectacles.

Because of the logo. Yes. Charging ££££/$$$$$ for an Apple stamped at the back of a chopping board.

18. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is true you pay for the apple,but that doesn't mean the iPad is no good. I have microsoft and apple products,and even tho I overpaid for apple products, they feel like a better investment than all the microsoft products I've bought up to date.

19. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ I'm just bitter because I can't afford it myself hahaha.