1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metroid

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Simple Thoughts

I don't know how many people play the Metroid games. My friend has insisted I try Super Metroid and I think the game is fun, but it doesn't tell you anything at all. It just leaves you to run around blind, and even when you find new powers and fight stuff you really get zero sense of accomplishment. I've just been lost and frustraited for hours on end...The game is fun, but it makes me mad at the same time -.-'

2. CrimsonThunder

It's not meant to guide you, you're meant to use your brain. You find a door you can't open, later on you get a new gun that opens those doors, you go back and open that door and progress.

I assume you're young and grew up on 360 or PS3, quest mark arrows and tutorials everywhere. And if you think Super Metroid is bad play LoZ or Metroid on NES.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well to be honest I never liked metroid because it was a platformer. I get very mad easily over one slip up = last 10 minutes wasted.

Super Metroid was ok though.

Metroid Prime. Was actually pretty awesome... Except for the platforming.

4. Sitri

I love metroid. Every metroid game has this terrifying feeling that you are alone. In super metroid I regularly returned to my ship to remind myself that the world was not just an endless series of caves. That there was purpose to my mission. And when you finally defeat mother brain, everything feels... awesome.

5. Simple Thoughts

I get it not being meant to guide you. I understand that to a point, but there are plenty of games which tell you nothing in a more constructive way.

My problem is that some of the stuff in the game requires you to essentially be psychic or have the internet ( which didn't exist at the time ) I fell down some pit, and spent 10-12 hrs running back and forth picking up a handful of powers and desperately trying to get out of the stupid pit, or at least find my way around. Finally, I just gave up and looked it up...turned out I had to psychically know that in the secret rooms secret room there was another secret room. I just hate not even having a general sense of direction.

I don't need map markers or guiding lines, but like a general suggestion of 'left' or 'right' that'd be lovely with this game...and like I said I have been really frustrated this whole time and the games left me with nothing to feel accomplished about. I feel more like I'm just fighting one giant uphill battle to not be lost anymore.

6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You'd love Dark Souls. :eusa_liar

7. Simple Thoughts

I enjoy platformers as a pleasant break from RPG's every once in awhile.

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2013 at 10:38 AM ----------

You definitely get that sense with this game. I guess I'm supposed to visually interpret the storyline according to my friend, but really I have no idea what's going on. Monsters attack me, there are some dead people, and some facility got really messed up and it has something to do with the metroid that was taken from the other facility with dead people.

8. Sitri

This game was made before they provided you with in game backstories. If you wanted to know what was going on you would have to read the manual. Basically Samus Aran was orphaned as a child when the colony she was living on was raided by space pirates led by Ridley (the big dragon guy). The Chozo, a super advanced race of bird people, adopted her, trained her, and she became a bounty hunter, seeking revenge against the space pirates. Then the Chozo disappeared. Space pirates decided to raid one of their planets, Zebes. Deep underground they found Mother Brain, an insane biological super computer. Some theories state she destroyed the Chozo or the Chozo abandoned the planet to get away from her. Mother Brain became the space pirates' leader and hatched a plan to use the metroid, a dangerous parasite from quarantined planet SR388, as a bio-weapon. The Galactic Federation called in Samus to deal with mother brain, which she did. They then sent her to SR388 to wipe out the metroids, but a metroid hatchling imprinted on her and treated her like a mother. Samus delivers this lone metroid to scientists (where super metroid begins) so they can learn the secrets of its energy stealing properties when space pirates steal it. Samus returns to Zebes to finish off the space pirates once and for all.

#8 Sitri, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  9. Simple Thoughts

( Not really Final Fantasy VI did a fantastic storytelling job and it's also an Snes game )

Yeah I knew all that stuff actually. Mostly because my friend told me, but also there is a cut scene at the beginning of the game where they lay out the story. I was under the impression I was supposed to deduce the rest of the story by playing the game, but I really just feel hopelessly lost.