1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii motherfucking U

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Batman, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm sure this has already been a thread, but hey, all next gen consoles are out now, so why not?

The WiiU has been getting hella hate ever since it came out; more so than is generally associated with new consoles. And although I'm biased, I don't really understand why. It's not like they were pulling the same shit Xbox did, and I truly can't see a clear reason that would warrant such a reaction. Its got enough juice to play with the big boys, and definitely had a nice selection of launch games. People with the WiiU love the system, and people without seem to hate it.

Obviously there are drawbacks (limited storage, weird-ass controller), but that's how it is with all systems. *shrug*

tldr; Why do you think the WiiU had such a rocky start?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because it's basically an Xbox 360 combined with a Wii.

If it wasn't Nintendo branded it would be an Atari jaguar level flop. Nintendo hasn't been good since GameCube in my opinion.

3. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Because people like to hate on things that are totally awesome. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And I actually really like the controller - so comfy in me hands.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nintendo broke my heart with a gimmick. Call me a hater:badgrin:

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Eh. Maybe I'll consider it if something really good comes out, but...
    I don't see the big deal. It's kind of uninteresting.
    Way better than the XBone, though.

I don't see it. :confused: Seems more like a DS combined with a Wii to me.

#5 An Gentleman, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cut out the part of your post that I think was most relevant. People bought the original Wii because it was new. It wasn't a console marketed on raw computing power nor was it full to the brim with "gritty" shooters. Because of that and its motion controls of course, it appealed to a very wide demographic and knocked it out of the park.

The Wii's controller + nunchuk setup was unusual, but it was ergonomic and practical. Some of the games that made the Wii successful were totally designed around motion controls, so its novelty was central to the whole experience. And for a lot of people, it was delightful.

Not so much with the Wii U, because of said weird-ass controller. Anybody remember the last console that tried putting a screen in the controller? It was the Dreamcast, and while it was an awesome system that was ahead of its time IMO, the little screen was a gimmick. I never once gained anything valuable from that little dot-matrix display. And with the Wii U, it's the same. Occasionally a game like Rayman Legends will put it to use with alternate gameplay, but overall, it's frivolous. It will show slightly relevant info like an environment map, or in some cases the exact same stuff that's on the TV. And unless the info on that controller screen is REALLY useful, it's hard to justify having to hold a hardcover textbook in your hands to play a game.

If you can't tell yet, I'm not really a Nintendo guy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but it seems like the people in charge of the Wii U just wanted people to get a glimpse of that controller screen and be wowed before they realized how clunky and silly it is in most cases.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was referring to antiquated technology in relationship to its release date.

8. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have the Wii U. I do not regret purchasing this console. It has the games which I want to play for a start. The controller is unique and comfortable. I can always use the pro-controller for some of the games. Okay it may not have the best graphics compared to the PS4/Xbox One but it does not concern me. It does the job. As long as the gameplay is fun that is all that matters to me.

I think people dislike it mainly because it appears to be very similar to the Wii. Some simply think it is an upgrade when really it is a new console.

When the legend of zelda wii u game comes out Wii U sales should skyrocket I think...

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm buying one i want to play bayonetta 2 I'm a big fan of the game and that's the only reason i'm buying a wii U

10. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ There are so many games to choose from eventually. I want to get Watch Dogs on the Wii U.

I wish I had a bigger TV!

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Really that's great :icon_bigg:

12. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

But Nintendo loves you and wants your money...give in...assimilate...let your wallet become one with Nintendo...resistance is futile (&&&):help:

13. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes join us. You cannot resist. :badgrin:

14. Doorway

WE ARE NINTENDO. RESISTANCE IS FUTULE.

Wasn't that an actual ad from the 80s?

15. Sarcastic Luck

I don't have a Wii, but if I did, I probably wouldn't get a WiiU. The controller looks clunky and honestly like it'd be hard to use due to the size. It looks like I'd have a hard time using some of the buttons with my thumbs; as it stands the Xbox360 controller is a bit large for my taste. Small hands ftl.

I have used the Wii, briefly, and what I used of it I enjoyed immensely. Then again, I was getting to co-op a Resident Evil game using the zappers with my then boyfriend.

16. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ The wii u controller is very comfortable to hold. Very light...check it out in some gaming stores. They have one in display for people to use.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some Nintendo stuff aside the games up until this point haven't been remotely good enough to justify buying the console. There's far too much shovelware, ports with some added baubles (I'm looking in your direction Arkham City) and not enough crowd pleasers on a regular basis from Nintendo themselves. There's an over-reliance on Mario games to push the console and not enough for people who don't want just Mario games. When Nintendo think people will get excited about Retro's latest being a DKCR sequel then you know you've got problems.

There's no Metroid; no Starfox; no F-Zero; no 1080; no Wave Race; a belated release for Smash Bros; we've only just got a proper new Mario game; Zelda's latest is a clean up of Wind Waker with only Hyrule Warriors on the horizon. That being said Hyrule Warriors will likely turn out to be a great game and it's at least a sign that Nintendo are willing to try new ideas. But can you see a spin off of a niche title selling truckloads in the west even with the Zelda name on it? Let's be honest it's not another Soul Calibur.

If they're that out of ideas then maybe the time has come to let other developers try their hand with these franchises. A lot of people will now point at Wand of Gamelon and it's ilk as a reason to resist that fervently. But I'd point to Metroid Prime; F-Zero GX; Starfox Assault & Adventures; DKC; DKCR; and the Oracle games as examples of where it has worked.

Project Aces at the controls of a Starfox game would get people interested; a Sega made F-Zero would do likewise; Retro made Metroid sells itself and if you really wanted to make people go "Holy Shit!" let CD Project Red (The Witcher) loose on Zelda.

18. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ OMG I just checked out Hyrule Warriors and I'm so buying that game.

19. Sarcastic Luck

Lol, I don't think you understand. The Playstation line of controllers fight my hands perfectly. As for gaming stores, I rarely go to them, and I'm honestly not making a special trip out to try the WiiU out. It's pointless given that I don't have a Wii and don't really plan on getting one.

20. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^

Oh that's what you meant. My bad.

Nah you don't have to make a special trip. Just saying if you pop into a gaming store they should have it on display for customers to use...I think. :confused: