1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamers that like niche titles

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shyguy5, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Shyguy5

With the friends I have or people I meet in school, I haven't met anyone that shares interests in the same games. I like playing nintendo consoles (mainly handhelds last gen) for their 1st and 3rd party games. I like the story or fantasy of RPGs, action adventures and platformers and I feel like these are genres I don't hear people talk or get excited about. I say that I play videogames as an interests when asked but when I say which games it's just like "oh...ok."

Trying to make new guy friends is hard enough for me with just being gay. I just got interested in the new SMT IV game and don't know anyone to talk to about it. I feel like I shouldn't even tell people I'm a gamer. I know FPS are popular but the people I've met talked to me as if games/franchises like Zelda and mario are niche or uncool. :eusa_doh:

Are there some of you that feel like the games you like are niche?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ooooooh yeah xD

I'm currently playing "Long Live the Queen" which SOMEHOW made it on to steam...

On one occasion some friends and I took a trip to london just to play the arcade version of Blaze Blue when it was being tested!

:grin: you're not the only one

3. Sarcastic Luck

I'm a bit of a fan of the top down RPGs.

4. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like 4x games. I guess they are kind of niche. I don't play many Nintendo games, but I have played quite a few other games. If you ever want an obscure game suggestion I have several.

5. CrimsonThunder

I've been playin a few rouge-like games lately, which I guess would be considered niche, but are becoming more popular.

6. Nikky DoUrden

The best games in my book are games similar to Baldur's Gate,
    I like story and ability to "get into it" while playing, and developing my character/s as it goes along...

I also like other games though, I actually love a lot kind of games like CrimsonThunder said "rogue games" I liked the Thief games! (and their more new version, Asassins Creed but that's not niche)

7. chivalrous

I know how you feel. when i mention im a gamer when asked, my often heard response is "whats your rank and level in battlefield or call of duty" and my thoughts are generally "im many things... a elf in hyrule. a tactioner in final fantasy . a paladin in tristram and not a soldier in nuketown"

Games above if no one noticed: link, skyrim and diablo lod

#7 chivalrous, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mount & Blade series. It's honestly the best medieval warfare game I've seen to date, and yet so few people know about it! It's all about "Chivalry" which sucks in comparison (sorry to any fans :astonished:). War of the Roses is really similar to M&B, but it doesn't have the depth.

I feel like a hipster for raving about it so much lol. For that game and Kerbal Space Program hehe, but that one's quickly picking up in popularity. And it makes the space nerd in me dance the jig.

9. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh I love mount and blade too. Not many games let you become a warlord and take over the world.

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you define a "niche" title? One that is esoteric? One that is underappreciated? I'm curious about how you define it.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is close to the meaning, but I'd say more like "catering to a very narrow demographic." A lot of games that give the player scads of options and playstyles are too intimidating for most people.

To use my own example, M&B is a niche title because it's completely merciless. It has a slight tutorial on how to recruit guys, travel around, and fight, but after that it's up to you. Bandits are not leveled to you; they basically see "fresh meat" and will wreck you immediately if they can. And if you do avoid/defeat threats and finally build up a modest warband/treasure stash, it can all go away if you lose a single battle. So yeah, harsh and unforgiving as a medieval mercenary captain's life probably was. :S I am very thankful for the arena, though. (free fight training and money, even if it is a very slow rate lol.)

12. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One that your can mention and have everyone head right to Google. Like Recetter. I don't think anyone else in this thread will have played that one.

13. Sarcastic Luck

If you have the original M&B and have a hankering for fantasy, there's a mod called "Solid & Shade" that's based around necromancy. It makes you completely OP, but it's fun as hell. I really, really recommend it.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what this means. Rare or retro games?

15. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :confused: I have warband not the original. I thought it was the better version, but forgot to note that all the mods are for the base M&B. There is a cool star wars mod I want to play.

16. timmy

Out Status:
    All but family
    Link II: The Legend Of Zelda. FTW!

Also, if you want to talk about niche, I have played Ultima Online for 12 years now. I get the same reaction. People almost get mad at me for playing it because the graphics are soooo 1996. And who the heck plays Ultima Online? The same people who have been playing it for over a decade haha.

17. Shyguy5

Hmm, it's hard to say. I guess it depends on the person I'm talking to. The mainstream media believe videogames are mostly shooters while some guys my age have no interest in Nintendo's family friendly games. So to "casual" gamers niche can mean obscure while to some gamers my age it's under appreciated.

I know a guy from class who only plays Call of Duty, sport games, etc. and couldn't understand why I don't play games like him or what's suppose to be cool. I never wasted my time arguing my point with the guy. I don't know I feel alone as a gamer.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well rather than trying to come up with one, I'll show you how ecclectic my tastes are.

I've beaten every final fantasy released, 1 to XIII-2, every metal gear (not just the solids), saints row series, white knight chronicles 1 and 2 platinum trophies, ah.... Gears of war series, mass effect, every cod from mw1 to bo2.

Then I like esoteric games like fighting force, Langrisser, time and eternity, mana khemia. I love old school beatemups like super double dragon or final fight. Classics like chrono trigger and perfect dark or super smash bros (melee is the best by far).

I could go on. I play anything but sports and racing sims.

And as you can tell I practically live and breath Persona.

#18 Kasey, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  19. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You know. With how vast and complex gaming is, practically everything is niche to someone else. One of my persistent frustrations with game talk is how hard it can be to find that common game ground with a stranger. I mention saints row and it turns out they never played the first two games, or they mention a fighting game I never heard of. Trying to find that starting point takes some time.

20. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I like Indie games, if you count some of those as niche? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage,
    I Made a Game with Zombies in it,
    Don't be Nervous Talking to Girls,
    Façade.

Random games like that, are usually the most fun. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: