1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adom

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Saint Otaku, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Saint Otaku

So I've been trying to get into the ascii roguelikes for a while, and I earned the grand accomplishment of beating the first quest of killing the mad carpenter in ADOM! \(^o^)/

So I've been wondering, a question for you dungeon crawlers, as I grow to enjoy the games more, do you think it's worth it to pay the $25 to get the latest versions of ADOM, or is there some game out there that I'm missing that's 200% better and absolutely free.

Also, feel free to proclaim your love or hate of this game and its brethren below! ^.^

2. chivalrous

never heard of adom till now but looking at it, my god i didnt know people still played these very old school sorta dungeon games!

3. Saint Otaku

I absolutely adore the aesthetic of these games. I really want an @ necklace now, since the player in these roguelikes is represented by the @.

4. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if I could justify paying $25 for an ascii rougelike. Not when we have games like The Binding of Isaac or FTL for less.

5. Saint Otaku

Yeah, it's just my preference is for those turn-based rpgs, and as silly as $25 seems, it does boast extremely deep gameplay, just not -- in my opinion -- $25 worth. But then again, I don't wanna pay for anything :rolle:

6. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well you can always wait till they add enough content that it is worth $25. I like turn based games. Though I am not too big a fan of ascii games.

7. Saint Otaku

I suppose, the game's pretty fun already with the latest free version, but I'm such an impulse buyer.

Anthow, I can understand ascii games being off-putting. I actually first played Nethack on the tiles version, thinking how sill it was to play with characters, then I was like, "alright, I'll give ascii a try." It was beautiful. :')

I think my all-time favorite turn-based rpg is Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Now talk about aesthetically pleasing! I just wish they capitalized on the audience interaction more...

8. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My partner plays Adom and has been playing it for years. He hasn't heard of a pay version though? It should be free.
    Unless it's a new version of Adom or something?

9. Saint Otaku

The game went on hiatus for nearly a decade I believe, but the creator launched one of those revival campaigns and asked people to pledge $25 for the new versions.

10. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just find a lot of ascii games are kind of too big for their interface. They tend to come off clunky, but at the same time people like the clunk. Last ascii game that impressed me was smart kobold.

Best turn based game I have played is the XCOM reboot. Just really well made really fun.

I love rougelikes as a game, but I am also finding that a lot of the old roguelike rules (yes they have official rules on what makes a rougelike) actually work counter to what makes a good rougelike. Its fine though because people are just ignoring the rules and takeing the concept in new directions.

I might have to try out adom. I bet I could find a texture back for it.