1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local oaf attempting to replace old laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GeeLee, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Right, my other laptop's hard drive is on it's death bed and I'm in the process of getting a repair disc and a system image sorted so I don't have to muck about with reinstalling Windows, so software wise I'm sorted. I've also got my new hard drive picked out (A Seagate Momentus) so that's also not a problem.

My problem is I've never replaced laptop hardware before or desktop hardware for that matter. Looking at the instructions on the Samsung website it looks straight forward enough (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000137/6413/101999/NP-P580-JA01US if you want a look). But I'm wondering just how difficult it is for someone like me who is less James May and more Clarkson when it comes to this kind of job.

So how hard can it be and are there any pitfalls I should watch for?

2. Ridiculous

It's very simple, don't worry! The hard drive is usually the easiest thing to change on a laptop.

There isn't really anything you can go wrong unless you are intentionally trying to break it. Just make sure your replacement will fit your laptop and you'll be fine.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I've just learned an important lesson about why you should make a back up disc when you get the machine, hard drive's completely gone now and I think the registry is fubared with it because I couldn't see the disc drive in 'my computer' before the whole thing went south.

Looks like a clean Windows 7 install is in order for me, I take it if I somehow manage to install the hard drive without destroying Norwich* and then put the Windows 7 DVD in the disc drive, the drive will still work as normal and I'll be able to install from there?

4. gaynerd64

Make sure it is compatible and reinstall to that harddrive. Also be sure to disconnect the old one!