1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's this mean about my video driver?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gayboyworgen, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Gayboyworgen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did try to see if I can use drivers from Intel.com website for my video card and I get this.

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics 2500 or Intel® HD Graphics
    Current Driver Installed 9.17.10.3114
    A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Does this mean that my video card can only be updated using Asus website? The model of notebook I have is X551CA-HCL1201L. I got this notebook bundled from Best Buy for $280. Or is the current driver version I have is the best? Maybe you guys can check this notebook out and see if what I have now is the best and will work. I have Windows 8 and haven't updated to 8.1 yet.

I just don't want to do something stupid and mess up my computer and have to recover it so just wanted to know if my notebook is made so I can only use drivers from Asus since I get this message when I auto detect on Intel.com site. I thought maybe my notebook has something that's different from others and can only use special drivers or ones made for this model only.

After looking more at the Intel's website it says

"Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information."

I wonder if my system has changed some settings and features so I can't use normal drivers. Since if that's the case I will have to use the Asus drivers from there site. Has anyone ever had this problem? Is this Asus notebook video card custom made or something like that?

2. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why do you want to update your video driver?

3. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would say unless the current driver is having problems, don't change/upgrade it.
    (basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it LOL)

Asus could very well have made a custom driver to go along with their motherboard.

4. PinkCammelia90

I would agree with this ^

Are you completely sure it's compatible with your computer? I can't find much on the Windows compatibility centre. Having said that, do you know if you're running a 32-bit architecture or 64-bit? I may have found a driver for 32-bit available for download.

5. Gayboyworgen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    #5 Gayboyworgen, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would say if you actually need to update the driver download it from Asus.
    Your video chip/processor may be an Intel, but its still attached to an Asus motherboard...