1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Editing

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by angel626, Jan 30, 2014.

1. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone know any good video editing software that I can buy or possibly use for free?

2. eofox

Adobe Premiere is amazing but expensive... If you are going for special effects Adobe After Effects is a good replacement. Sony Vegas is a good option. If you are going for free you could check out Lightworks, I've heard it's pretty good, but I personally have never used it. Have fun, hope you find something you enjoy.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have access to a library, they sometimes have good editing software on their computers there.

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Please. Most of them don't even use Chrome!
    Video editing requires skill. Best option would be to see what good softwares are on the market.
    Customer reviews are quite helpful when you weed out the dumb ones.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Meh, my library does not have chrome, but for some reason, they have some great editing software. It's pretty cool. Most people don't know that they have it either, so it's easy to access.

6. Pixelbro

Yeah, you won't get any good software for free. If you're just starting, I don't recommend jumping to a software over $300. It can be a little confusing to be in a software like Adobe After Effects with little to no knowledge of how it works. Adobe Premiere is probably the way to go.

7. 2112

Sony Vegas Movie Studio is $30 on Amazon, it's very easy to use and has everything you need. HitFilm 2 Express is free until Feb. 4. It's a lot more complicated than Vegas, but it's worth learning if you need better effects than Vegas has. Lightworks is free and it's supposed to be good, but it didn't work on either of the computers I tried it on.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, first off what's your system? Do you have a mac or a PC? Because that makes a world of difference when it comes to editing.

For Premiere, that depends on a couple things: They have Creative Cloud now, which is a subscription service of $50 a month. That's currently one of the 3 big names in the industry, which also includes Avid Media Composer and Final Cut Pro (usually referring to 7).

If you have a mac, you can get Final Cut Pro X for about $200, and that also includes every update to it. It works like iMovie, except there are some other tricks to it (like multicam editing).

Vegas, for what I've seen and heard is very expensive, and it's actually quite different compared to, say, Premiere, Avid or Final Cut 7. It kind of works similarly in terms of workflow, but you're required to use keyboard shortcuts instead of tools.

Lightworks is free, but I think if you want to export something, you have to buy the full version. It's kind of like Minecraft in its own sense.

I've also heard of Magix, which I've heard has been pretty good for some people. Premiere elements might still be out, and another prosumer software is Avid Pinnacle Studio, which I've heard has worked well.

Also do take An Gentleman's advice: The quality of the work has more to do with the artist than the tool. I've seen low-quality things done in Premiere, I've seen high-quality things done in Premiere. The same can be said for everything else.

I know a lot of people say to use After Effects, but that's a software more geared towards motion graphics and compositing, maybe some special effects (those are mostly nowadays done in 3D programs like Maya, Cinema4D and zBrush). Stay away from After Effects if all you're going to be doing is editing. Or get it if you want to do stuff that it's geared towards, since Creative Cloud is a monthly subscription that covers all of the CC programs.

9. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

I used to do a lot of editing, so my recommendation would probably be Sony Vegas. Hell, even Windows Movie Maker is good for simple editing if that is all you are going to do. If you are just chopping and screwing then Windows Movie Maker is free and simple to use. If you are using editing software for professional or extreme uses (i.e. a fully edited 20 min video) then Sony Vegas has worked amazingly in the past. Adobe Aftereffects and its companion softwares work great- but they are hella expensive. If you are okay with torrenting then that's an option (although you will most likely hear people complain about the lack of moral backbone you have :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Adobe is without a doubt the highest quality of the three I mentioned, Windows Movie Maker is for simple editing, and Sony Vegas is a kind of medium. My recommendation would be Sony Vegas because it actually allows you to be creative in your editing compared to Windows. Adobe could be a good upgrade if you need this and or want to make your videos look professional. Good luck mate :grin:

10. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agree that using After Effects for editing is going to be an exercise in frustration, unless editing is very very simple. However, you can edit (i.e. choose trim and arrange the pieces) in Premiere then move the project to After Effects for more advanced/complexed compositing/effects.
    BTW if you only want ONE app from the Adobe Creative Suite (vs the whole suite), there's a cheaper $19.99/month rate for that.
    Most higher end editing programs also have a 30 day demo version, you could always check them out that way, see which one works for you.

11. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Imovie is good, and is free if you have a mac. Not sure what to get for a Microsoft though. :slight_smile:

12. Stripe101

My computer came with Sony Movie Studio and I figured it out pretty quickly and have made a few videos for classes. I do enjoy making videos so.

13. ckgay

I use Sony Vegas 12 for everything so I'd definitely recommend that.