1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Persona 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mr Scratch, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Mr Scratch

The Persona franchise is my favorite video game series. Persona 4 is my all-time favorite video game. So it probably goes without saying that I'm EXTREMELY excited for Persona 5, which is coming out for the PS3 this winter in Japan. I imagine it'll be out in early 2015 in English speaking territories.

And although the game is still a ways out with only a single teaser image and teaser trailer based on said image, the Official Persona Magazine did an interview with series director Katsura Hashino about the game. A fan did a scanlation which is available here, but I've transcribed it for convenience:

What I infer from this interview is that the game will be following a different cast from the previous games, who are slightly older (20-somethings?) that have found themselves in unhappy places in their lives. The themes of oppression and the need to move on... they resonate greatly with me, so I'm extremely stoked for this.

2. MissyT

I love the persona games!! I can't wait :grin:

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And here I was hoping for a direct sequel...

Please tell me that Nanako or Ken are in this all grown up. Tell me Aigis and Labrys are in it. Probably unlikely from this transcript but I like to dream.

4. MissyT

I was also hoping for a sequel but I'll be happy either way x3

5. Mr Scratch

I love the casts of 3 and 4, but I hope part 5 is going to continue the tradition of a new cast with new themes.

Having said that, I'm happy to see the Persona 3 and 4 story lines are going to continue in the form of spin-offs. There's at least two more games coming out featuring those casts (Persona 4 Arena 2 and Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth) and I'd be very surprised if they didn't release more of them as time goes on.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I look forward to stomping the person who commandeered Labrys.

Still... A direct sequel would be amazing.

7. Mr Scratch

I'd bet money on a direct sequel, and sooner rather than later. I just think it'll lack a number (or it will retain the number of whichever game's core cast it features the most, like Arena).

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're telling me this wouldn't be badass?
    [​IMG]

9. BornAnew

Can't wait for it come out!! I hope they make a port for the PS4 though! (as I won't have my PS3 by that point!)

I still need to play through Persona 3/4 though! Got them, played a bit and had to stop each time due to house moves!

I preferred Persona 4's story, but there was something about Persona 3 that hooked me more...not even sure what! Maybe I prefer a more urban setting!

10. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    P3 was a better story but P4 was a better game overall.

A P4 port would be great but I'm holding my ps3 anyways.

11. Mr Scratch

I've got too much money invested in my PS3 to chuck it out, but Persona 5 is one of the main reasons I'm holding on to it.

I expect a Persona 5 port will happen eventually -- every main game in the franchise has been ported thus far -- but goodness knows where it'd end up. There's always the chance that a slightly stripped down (hardware wise), beefed up (content-wise) port will hit the Vita. Given that all of the console games have ended up ported to handheld, that seems the most likely destination for it.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2014 at 08:20 PM ----------

Forgot to mention which game I prefer: I go back and forth on which game I think has the better story. Persona 3 might just win out for story, but I think Persona 4 wins out for everything else (characters, gameplay, content). That cast is just so good, and the game had a pretty profound effect on my life.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    P3 changed my life... But we had this conversation on your wall right?

13. Tlarkul

I could see this happening in a case similar to Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. And yes, seeing them together would be awesome.