1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good, cheap lap-top

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HuskyPup, Feb 7, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never really had a laptop, but need one. Problem: I don't have much to spend. I definitely don't want a Mac, but my question is this: Are there any decent lap-tops out there for less than $400?

I'm only gonna use it for three things, mainly:

1. Internet
    2. Writing (poetry, fiction, screenplays, essays and the like)
    3. Watching Videos/Listening to music

I'm not a gamer or anything, so it doesn't have to handle stuff like that.

Suggestions?

(Aside from getting a better job :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

2. Simple Thoughts

Dell Latitude E4300 Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 160GB HDD, DVD/CDRW, 13.3 Display, Windows 7 Professional (Off-Lease) - RB-810576020971 at TigerDirect.com

This is just one of many on Tiger Direct alone. Since you aren't doing anything overly stressful to your laptop I think you'll be able to get away with using a dual-core processor instead of a quadcore. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

or this that I just found

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8466179&csid=_61

I'd recommend from laptop experience that you invest in something like this...

Zalman ZM-NC1000 Ultra Quiet Notebook Cooler - Black at TigerDirect.com

maybe not this specific one, but laptops have a nasty habit of running hot and it can fry the insides so I'd suggest getting a cooling pad for em to help prevent that from happening

#2 Simple Thoughts, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

For internet, writing and watching videos? Well that's nearly any laptop.
    I use the HP-2000 and it works fine and I bought it because it came with a bundle during Black Friday that saved me about fifty USD
    Really all you need to do is go to Best Buy's site or eBay and go to the laptops section and put in the specs you would want.
    Also since you said you weren't a gamer/because I want to be useful I would say your specs could be some really low-end "things" Maybe 2GB of RAM since no one wants a dreadfully slow computer, depending on how much you write/ what programs you use, somewhere around 280GB of Hard Disk space would be okay, graphics card you shouldn't need to worry too much about since you aren't a gamer, and depending on what else you might need it for, having three USB ports is a good idea for a portable mouse and two flash drives if you ever need to transfer files and or put in high quality headphones for listening to music. Have at least one SD card slot obviously, and as for weight, eh, does it really matter? Finally, screen size should be something comfortable for watching videos and writing, I tried writing on a netbook before and it was awful, I had to scroll from side to side to see the length of the page. My 17" is more than enough.

One that might be worth checking out is the Toshiba Satellite series, they are a bit beefier in their processing power etc. but the price is excellent compared to others with similar specs. You can easily look on eBay however and find older designs/ slightly used laptops that would be much cheaper and less, ah, wasteful let's say for better words of the laptop's capabilities.

Final tip: Windows 8 sucks, it was made for tablets, it should stay on tablets :l

... Looking over this I only now notice how nerdy I am... sigh... :grin:

4. Simple Thoughts

Windows 8 does suck. It was just junk. Windows 7 does the job just fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also, a little nerdy but nothing wrong with that. I might have to recruit you when I get started on my pc build xD

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice! I have windows 7 on my computer at work, though at home, I'm still running XP, which I actually like better because it has a lighter, simpler feel. 7 reminds me too much of Macs. (I am Macphobic and Jobsphobic!)

The laptops mentioned would be a step up from what I've been using these past 4 years or so, to be certain.

#5 HuskyPup, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  6. Simple Thoughts

The second one I linked is better than the first, but the reviews weren't super encouraging lol

Pretty much though, since you aren't doing anything overly taxing you can get away with using pretty much anything.

I haven't had XP on a computer in awhile. I remember it being pretty good though, not quite as good as Windows 7, but pretty decent.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few things to consider...

First one important issue is the keyboard, particularly since you are planning on using this machine to write. It should be something you'd be comfortable using. Of course you can use an external keyboard, but that adds hassle and more stuff to carry. (Although an external keyboard can be a reasonable thing if using the laptop at home on a desk. Some people will do that--use a really good keyboard at the desk, and then rely on the built in keyboard when on the road.)

Also the screen quality is important. On paper, they all sound good. But in the real world they vary. One issue in particular is how glossy the screen is. Most laptops use glossy screens. These tend to reflect light. Some screens aren't that bad, but some drive me crazy with reflections.

Because of the keyboard and screen issues, trying before you buy is a good idea when possible. (Many stores in my area have laptops on display. Even if you don't plan to buy from them, at least it gives you a chance to play with the different brands.)

Another issue worth considering is how portable does the laptop need to be? The more one uses it as a portable computer, the more likely it is that size and weight will be an issue. (This may seem incredibly obvious. But I've heard many hard core laptop users comment what an unexpected difference a smaller, lighter laptop makes.)

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 12:02 PM ----------

Another point worth considering is durability. My impression is that the cheapest laptops sold at exotic places like WalMart aren't as long lasting as better laptops. Unfortunately, at a limited price point, the choices are limited. One could go reconditioned used, but obviously age and use on the computer will push it closer to the day when it'll go to the great big laptop bag in the sky. Or one can buy something new, but plan that it likely won't be around as many years as a top of the line model.

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 12:07 PM ----------

Another thought hit: you'll need software to do that writing. You will get pushed to buy Microsoft Office. Indeed, I've noticed some stores push Office with a vengeance.

But one can get something for free that will probably be good enough. I discussed this the other day in another thread.

8. nikoy02

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi i suggest that you can use toshiba laptop SATELLITE P500 its good and also if you have problem i can help you im a tech support for toshiba :slight_smile:) hoe it helps

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, thanks for the advice!

@BMC77: One thing that I'm lucky is that I work as a library assistant for a university. It doesn't pay all that much, but one benefit is that they do offer staff/faculty free copies of Microsoft Office, Windows 7, Photoshop, and some other various software/operating systems to promote technology use. So that will save a good ammount, 'cause I know many of these things are not cheap to buy. That was an excellent point, factoring in these costs.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Too bad they don't also have free laptops to promote technology! :lol:

One technicality is that the software might have restrictive license terms as to how it can be used. Of course, many people simply would not care.

One thing you might look into if you haven't already is whether you can buy a laptop at a reduced price through the university. It seems to me that I've heard of such programs, although that was years ago, and, of course, policies and programs vary institution to institution.

If they still have Windows 7 available it might mean an escape path from Windows 8. However, one question that would need answering would be if Windows 7 could be installed and work on the Windows 8 computer. It would not be fun to buy a laptop with the idea of installing Windows 7 only to find that some needed driver does not exist for Windows 7.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The university still uses windows 7, and has no plans to change anytime soon...the IT people tell me they think 8 may prove to be another 'Vista', so to speak!

But free laptops would be nice!

I'm pretty sure there's no real restrictions on the software, aside from not being able to have more than one copy.

12. Simple Thoughts

Windows 8 was designed for phones/pads/and things with a touch screen. Not for laptops and desktops.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And even on phones and tablets it appears to be less than a stunning success, at least as far as acceptance goes.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shows you what I know! Is there a new OS planned to replace 7?

I've always just had a cheap flip-phone, so I don't know anything about the fancy-phone world =p

15. Jessica79

The best I can recommend is staying away from acer laptops I have had too many and they suck xD

16. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you're just going to do internet, writing, watching videos, then how about a Chromebook?

Amazon.com: Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-Inch, Haswell micro-architecture, 2GB): Computers & Accessories

Windows 9 is in the works. Not sure that it will be a 7 replacement as I see Windows 7 as the next XP, used and supported for a while to come.

Never had any problems with my Acer's. Nothing wrong with the build quality and all computers share hardware from the same manufacturers; Intel, Foxconn, etc. Any company can squeeze a lemon, though.

17. I'll second that, I recently bought 2 acers for my mom and brother. Both laptops have a great build quality, they're much better now than they used to be.

18. Simple Thoughts

I would imagine. I had the beta version of windows 8 on my old Sprint phone. It suuuucked!

19. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you considered getting a tablet? You could get a bluetooth keyboard for when you are going to type essays, etc. It wouldn't be a perfect method, but if you not going use it a lot for typing, it would be perfectly fine.

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds to me like a chrome book would work for you.