1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future Of Gaming

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Where do you think Gaming will be in the next 10-20 years? I personally think a lot more people will convert to PC Gaming, and that something's gonna happen to Xbox. But what do you think?

2. Simple Thoughts

I don't know. I know a lot of people think it'll switch to pc gaming. If the world was full of people who knew anything at all I'd be inclined to agree since pc gaming by every definition is better than console gaming.

The problem, however, is that people buy what's advertised on T.V. not what's better. So it's really hard to say.

3. PC popularity is on the rise again, they're already ahead of the new gen consoles spec wise. With many companies already advertising their own steam boxes to attack the consoles market, only time will tell what's going to happen.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The lack of universal compatibility and cost of essentially replacing a computer that costs let's say conservatively twice what a console costs will never kill a game console.

Consoles are completely standardized and you don't have to worry about video cards and ram and stuff.

No I actually get very irritated at the high and mighty pc elitists.

Believe it or not resolution will cease to matter pretty soon. It is about texturing anti aliasing and physics while maintaining framerate.

Dynamic Ai and destructible persistent environments are the true revolution that will be coming with future generations of games, Pc and console alike.

5. ZenMusic

I'm mainly on Xbox and PC, and I just use a PS3 for watching TV. I'll get a Gaming PC later in the year, along with an Xbox One hopefully.

6. ckgay

I'm very very sad to say that I think Nintendo will fail, unless they release a gaming system with the specs that other systems have. I'm not saying I'd like that but...I really don't think they're going anywhere after this gen... I'm so sad to say this because I love Nintendo :frowning2:

7. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think that consoles will ever become "outdated" till good gaming pc's become smaller in size. Gaming PCs take up a lot of room and, especially if you live in a small flat, it can be problematic. Consoles are smaller, cheaper and handier on top of that you don't have to worry about specs.

But I quite agree, PC gaming is much more enjoyable than console gaming.

8. 7eye

7eye Guest

There are gaming laptops, but prepare for the desktop elitists to be skeptic towards you.

9. There are some wonderful gaming laptops and they're not expensive like they used to be.

10. ScatteredEarth

I predict Microsoft will eventually cut their ties from the console market due to not making enough sales

Nintendo will eventually fall victim to its vicious cycle and slowly go bankrupt

Sony will either try to compete with the PC market by making extremely powerful consoles (Which is almost always their Unique Selling Point, most notably with the PS3 and 4) Or they will convert to Computers and cut their ties with the consoles as well.

PC really can't die, and not from a gaming standpoint, but mainly because it's used for everything.

11. Sarah257

I don't really know what may happen. I think Kasey has a valid point about the resolution and the increase of what you can do within a game. That being said, PCs do have the unbridled capability of modding. Come to think of it, modding is what makes PC gaming so attractive. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I expect the consoles to start trying to impliment a way that you can mod your games. That would make them very attractive and draw in more customers, especially if they implimented a kind of standard modding format that enabled people to mod with the press of a button instead of going through all those subfiles.

Consoles are all about convience. PCs are about customization. Putting those together in one package would be a potent thing.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed an increase in table-top gaming. I think people have started to feel a bit lonely, and are seeking out the real, face to face social contact that this sort of gaming offers. My mate and I are steadily building a collection of games, and especially like the cooperative format. And it's nice to have friends over, or go over to their place---plus, you can then sample their collection, and meet new people.

It also seems much more conversational, and intimate. We haven't played video games in a long while, sorta lost interest.

13. Ruthven

What about the Oculus Rift and Virtuix Omni? I'm surprised no one's mentioned them. This stuff's damn impressive, and in ten to twenty years as mentioned in the OP, I can't wait to see how much better and even more immersive it can get.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea as to the specifics. Graphics are getting better, tech is getting a little ridiculous, but with huge budgets come huge liability. Companies will take fewer risks, and therefore make more gorgeous games that are depressingly "safe". That's why we currently have CoD 12, Forza 5, and Halo 5 on the horizon. They want to ride established titles for as long as possible. Granted Forza is turning into a Madden of sorts (which is fine by me as it's great) but others have stretched once great IPs into diluted shells. :/

The pendulum will swing, though, back towards quality once people have had enough.

15. Stripe101

As much as I love PC gaming, I do prefer consoles.

Hear me out.

PC gaming is expensive. To get a computer that can run a game like a console would, you got to pay a lot of money. You also need to know extensive knowledge about computers. There's also so much that can go wrong. Besides, most of the revolutionary, artsy games have been made for console.

The Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain, etc.

While PC gaming is better for some games, I just find console gaming to be a more enjoyable experience. So Yeah, I think consoles will stick around.

And right now, the two seem to be merging together.

16. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Steam machines. :slight_smile:

17. This!

Also, a gaming pc isn't as expensive as some people think.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with stripe, consoles are just more enjoyable to me.

Maybe I grew up on them is why. Not that PC games are bad. I just hate the elitism.

19. I totally agree with this, that's why I enjoy both worlds. Granted, I don't have a PS4 yet but will get one as soon as it's in stock. I'm stuck with the WiiU and it's pretty crappy. lol So right now I only have my PC.

20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's precisely jack shit on ps4 right now though.

I still use my vita and ps3 on the regular.