1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Fantasy: A LGBT friendly series?!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Claudette, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Hey everyone, so I've been thinking lately on Final Fantasy... while it doesn't seem like such an outward series of LGBT issues or anything, I have found it worthy of noting a few key points in the series as a whole, that may or may not point to LGBT references from Squares point.
    I'm going to break it down by game, Because I think it is easier (lol) but be warned this is probably going to be a lengthy post, and for that I am sorry!

I am not trying to upset anyone, these are my views on it, and I mean no harm ^^

Final Fantasy I
    at the start of the game you're given the chance to customize your team, consisting of 4 (presumable male) characters, the ey point is the White Mage, later down the line the characters "grow" and what happens to the White Mage? their hood falls down and and long hair falls to about their waist, as a Kid I always presumed (since seeing the White Wizard) that it was a she... hard to tell with pixels lol, and the game was always ambiguous about your parties gender make-up (never using he,she etc)

Final Fantasy II
    In this one I would like to point out Leila(Reila,Layla) who is a female Pirate captain (which was gender role breaking to any standard of pirate)

Final Fantasy III(original)
    In this game (much like in 1) you were given 4 characters (Presumably male) with each class taking on a masculine look except 1 -- Devout, they resemble white mages but with cat-ear hoods, now even when pixelated it was very clear this was a female under that hood, so one could go from a masculine look Berserker to this very feminine looking healer.

Final Fantasy IV(Snes -- II)
    This game as a whole was a very romantic oriented game, our attention here is the main character (Cecil), throughout the whole first half of the game it is very clear that Cecil is a guy(even though you never see his face until a certain point in the story). Now when you reach a point in the story Cecil "changes Jobs" now on the original snes version, when he becomes a Paladin he looks extremely feminine, so much so that guards stationed around baron are unable to discern what exactly Cecil is -- "Just what the hell are you?" is a quote from the Guard outside baron castle after Cecil's "transformation"

Final Fantasy V
    Our focus here is Faris, through most of the story the player is lead to believe Faris is a male Pirate Captain, there is even a point in the story where Bartz(Butz) & Galuf find Faris (attractive while still thinking shes a man), shortly after this event Faris reveals that he is really a She, living the life of a man (again due to those Gender roles mentioned in 2, woman can't lead pirates etc etc) it is also revealed through the story that she absolutely detests female clothes, and presenting as one.

Final fantasy VI
    This is more speculative then the others lol
    Gogo -- not much is known about this character, only that they are vieled in all sorts of cloth, this game has been out almost 20 years, fans are still split on this issue, and SE has never revealed an answer just who exactly Gogo is.
    Mog's gender is also an issue, it it presumed to be a guy, however it does present itself with alot of female characteristics.

Final Fantasy VII
    hoo-boy where to start
    Sector 6 slums early in the game the main antagonist -- Cloud, Must dress up as a woman to save a friend, do to so, he must also spend some time in a "Sex" club which in turn leads to spending a period of time with some presumably gay men in a hot tub. even partake in a contest in a gym that is populated by Transgendered people. Cloud was obviously bothered by the sex club, however he made little to no objections to dressing as a woman.
    There is a date event later in the game, playing your cards right means you could end up spending the date with Barret. I don't recall seeing any objections from either character during this period.

Final Fantasy VIII
    The only thing here worth mentioning is Kiros, he's overly effeminate in and out of battle, while not identifying as a female, he certainly goes to certain lengths to make himself look "inbetween Genders". during combat he has a "limp" sort of stance, and a very ballet inspired attack animation

Final Fantasy IX,X
    Nothing really sticks out here

Final Fantasy XI
    Years after Marriage was introduced, SE implemented NPCS to handle all private weddings, it is possible for same sex characters to wear wedding bands engraved with each others names.

Final fantasy XII
    Nothing here either... ;;

Final fantasy XIII
    Fang and Vanille (both Females) have a very "open" relationship as you progress through the game it becomes more and more apparent that these 2 characters have more then a bond of friendship/sisterhood between them, it is generally accepted that these 2 characters were in fact in love, the end of the game strengthens this idea even farther

Final Fantasy XIV
    While there is no marriage present in this game, the NPCs located around Eorzea speak when you draw close enough, there are quite a few of these speech bubbles that hint at homosexual relationships, and transgendered ideology.
    There is also an item in game that lets you redesign your character(just like making a new one) you can even change genders, however to change your name to match a gender change, a GM will need to be involved.

A lot of this is speculation, but just like a good book,movie, show, artwork... it is up for interpretation! Thank you for reading ^^(&&&)

2. Simple Thoughts

Wow I've never seen Final Fantasy dissected in such a way.

Personally, it wouldn't shock me in the slightest if the Final Fantasy series had some pro LGBT elements. It seems like the Japanese culture is just in general okay with the idea of people being transgender, cross dressers, gay, or w/e else they happen to think up when they're working on something.

There are a million and a half animes with some LGBT elements.

In almost every anime there is at least one extremely feminine or cross-dressing male character.

So I'm not sure why the game companies would be any different.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Final Fantasy IX - Quina the blue mage, the one that looks like lickingtung from pokemon. he/she has a female characteristic (i might be wrong) but they never really specified her gender.
    Final Fantasy X - none as i can think of haha. honestly i think there might be one but i don't think there is. Lulu struck me as a lesbian as first until we found out about her relationship
    Final Fantasy XII - maybe fran and her tribe?
    yea i think it's definitely a lgbt friendly game, i don't ever recall gays being discriminated to a certain extent in the game. i've been a fan for as long as they released new games

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

oh yea, you're right, How could I forget Quina, and Fran xD
    I'm so ditzy sometimes lol going to ammend that lol Thanks!

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're looking at Japanese cultural appeals from an American perspective.
    I honestly don't believe they were trying to make any characters overtly on the LGBT spectrum so much as making characters that would appeal to their target demographic.

I personally don't feel Fang and Vanille were in love in the traditional "relationship + sex" sort of way though they obviously share a bond far deeper than freindship but being the only two survivors from their home and being frozen together for hundreds of years can probably do that to people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Ruthven

How could you forget Kuja? He was like one of the main villains in FFIX and had a feminine-shaped body and look going on.

[​IMG]

Now I like to think he's a guy, cis or trans, but he could be something else I don't know.

7. Simple Thoughts

He is rather feminine.

That was one of my favorite games from the series :slight_smile:

8. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    What about Payne from X-2???

On another note, I'm so glad to be on here with other FF fans. I love, love FF. :3

9. Simple Thoughts

Payne was a masculine character, but it never really said much about her orientation that I can remember.

10. Donnytello82

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. beloved

Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right. It didn't say much about her at all, honestly. And I totally misspelled her name because that's the way I spell my daughter's middle name, lol. It's actually Paine.

12. Simple Thoughts

Don't feel bad, it's been too long since I've played to remember.

Actually that was one of my preferred FF games to play. I loved the blitz ball system in it ( much better than X ) and I think before I finally gave up I was somwhere between 80-90% done with the game ( beat it two or three times in a row, but there was some things I just couldn't find -.- )

13. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I played the revamped version of FFIII where the characters do have genders and characterization. (Not as much as other FF games but it's there.) However you can still put anyone in any class and have women in plate mail with swords and so forth. My memory is weak because it was years ago but I definitely remember one of the guy characters being extremely concerned about his male best friend, to the point that I definitely thought that they were hinting that they were a couple. And I don't jump to that conclusion easily.

14. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i totally forgot about kuja! i think it is a guy, last time i played it.

15. Claudette

Claudette Guest

it has been awhile since I played some of them, sorry for forgetting that lol but i'm glad you all could fill in what I forgot lol
    And it was Luneth and Arc in the remake that had a special bond =o

16. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Luneth and Arc! Thank you! I would have sat here trying to remember all night...

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Holy shit people... How do you forget Quina from FF9? That character is the embodiment of transgenderism.

And what about Gogo from 6?

18. Nikky DoUrden

In all manga or japaense-kind-of-drawing the guys look kinda gay ... FF not exception !

19. kem

kem

Uhh I gotta say, Faris' secret is revealed pretty early on.
    But yes, I agree with you, I think Final Fantasy has been quite progressive at least compared to Western games.

#19 kem, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  20. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to tell them all apart from concept art...

Yoshi Amano is like that in his art style.