1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your characters reflect your orientation?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by YamatoSumeragi, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Did a search and came up with nothing, so... Here we go!

Do the characters you make in games reflect your sexual orientation, or do you treat them like something not of yourself?

For me, nearly every single one of the characters I've made in role-playing games has reflected my orientation. I only make female characters and they only romance women. I've been doing it for years (I started with the original Sims on PC)

I'm not sure if romancing Liara with my femshep in Mass Effect would count, but whatever. Liara looks physically female, so it's alright in my books!

2. PinkieKeen

My characters always referenced my orientation and gender. i was 90% of the time a female character. and would usually get into relationships with guys, but im ok with either gender lol. and then 10% of the time, my characters are very girly guys xD

3. Simple Thoughts

If I can select/customize my character I will most likely choose female. Dunno why, I never really have understood why, but ever since pokemon first asked 'Boy or Girl' I've felt compelled to choose girl ^.^

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I have the choice to customize I always chose female. Live out my general inability to present female as much as I want to in reality. No I don't always make her look like me. In fact my commander Shepard I made in mass effect 1 looked exactly like the redhead female one that was made official for 3.

However in like fighting games I just pick whichever char I like best.

5. Hah, same here. I go for speed over all else when it comes to fighting games. Most of the characters who fit that are female though... But there's some pretty speedy dudes in Guilty Gear.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well in Tekken I use Nina, Paul, Bryan, um... Lili and Asuka the most. Law is ok too.

So it's not a visual aesthetic thing in a game like that for me.

7. Yosia

I make girly looking boys or girls usually, and in fighting games i go for speed usually, but still have some power, like Ayane in DOA

8. Simple Thoughts

You should see what I can do with Sonya in the new Mortal Kombat game. Well newer at this point I guess xD

9. ZenMusic

Yeah, most of the time. My Sith Warrior fucks any guy he sees, and Hawke and Anders always end up together. I find having a straight romance with someone as a male char boring.

10. franc

Not really.

Like, in fighting games, I prefer to use girls since they're lighter. They can jump higher and move quicker.

In Dota 2 I pick magic users not because I'm intelligent and their main attribute is intelligence. Well, I was a bit of a nerd. Always fancied myself as a warlock.

Sonya's my favorite though I haven't played MK for a long time. Also, Subzero (the one with no mask), Ermac, Stryker and Johnny Cage. Idunno, but the Johnny Cage in the trilogy is hot. LOL

I also pick girl on Pokemon. Well, it's a bit obsessive, I pick the characters who appear in the cartoons, i.e. Dawn and May. Most of them are girls. Also, I try to catch 'em all but I also base my roster with the cartoons. like, in Yellow, I captured every pokemon obtainable that Ash caught.

11. Niko

Whenever I make a character I always pick male; but if I have the option of customizing him, it never really reflects me. I usually make him look dark and mysterious, or whatever I find pleasing to look at.

12. TheUglyBarnacle

Sims, huh? I always used to make a badass male and have him hook up with a lot of women. I loved customising him because I love men's clothes.
    The rare time I played a female, she was hardly ever totally straight.

My current Sims game has ended up being a lesbian town. ^_^

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I create a 30-something year old male that is somewhat masculine, and 6ft tall. It's escapism from being a short twink. I use Viking names because they're so damn cool! My characters wouldn't entertain such impure thoughts such as sex! My guys are always cool with LGBT and think sex is okay for others if it is legal and responsible. I make them as close to a lawful good knight or paladin as possible. They live to fight ruthlessly for what is just. I love the fighting in my games and I don't care much for the story. I interpret the story my own way. It's interesting how people enjoy games differently. I know guys that create female characters and you can often tell a lot about what they fancy from it.

When my (straight) dad played Dragon Age II... he didn't connect with his character at all. He selected a default male warrior and made him f**k as many women as possible. During his first playthrough he didn't pay attention to the dialogue and his guy ended up romancing Anders. We still joke about it. I told him he could break it off or load an earlier save file. He said he'd be as well finishing what he started for trophies. Also one time at the brothel his guy f**ked another guy. My dad said it doesn't matter as long as his guy got laid that day. He didn't plan out skills or program his characters to be efficient. I guess for him it was press one button for stress relief. Fair enough.

If it's a fighting game I'll usually end up playing a zoning character. And good luck trying to play a male in Arcana Heart 3. IDGAF about gender in fighting games.

14. Bolin

My RPG characters are usually scantily-clad straight female characters with big boobs (but not too big)....I'm male, gay, and like keeping my clothes on, so no, they don't really reflect my orientation (unless you're going by the stereotype that gay men use only girls in games). In customizable fighting games, I usually make every character wear as little as possible... even the women. So, overall, no, my characters don't usually reflect my orientation.

15. Wha-what? How is that even a stereotype in the first place?

To be honest, I don't either. But what I don't get is why females are always super fast and guys are usually just heavy hitters. And yes, I realise there's a physical difference, but this is gaming we're talking about. And gaming has never been weighed down by reality lol

Then again, Tsubaki isn't exactly fast... and Makoto is a pretty damn heavy hitter (I used to play BlazBlue)

I haven't played Guilty Gear for ages, but dang I loved Baiken. She pretty much attempted to kill someone when they called her a woman. She was great. <3

Also, I don't actually have a problem playing as dudes (some people like to think I do though)

I mean, yeah, it's fun to make a woman who's a lesbian and bangs every woman she sees, but hey, it's just that; fun. Sometimes I play as dudes to break the monotony (?) of playing as the same characters every time. I tend to make every one of my female characters look similar.

But it's gaming after all and we can make any hero/heroine we want. The only thing with me is a lot of my heroines reflect me in some ways... So they're not entirely original in that respect.

Still, I love hearing about how other people play games. It's really interesting.

I kinda wished I could make the male protagonist date a guy in Persona 3 Portable though, if only to get Yukari away from him. She was supposed to hate him, then she hooked up with him?! What the heck... Oh and I'd love it if the female protag could date Mitsuru. Ohohoho, that'd be great~

#15 YamatoSumeragi, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  16. Foxface

Very much depends on the game...an MMO I will choose male...a fighting game or anything else I will almost invariably choose female

17. ThePhoenix

Yeah if that was true pretty much all my friends online are gay :-\

Well when I make a character I usually go with both male and female depending, but they are usually just characters to me I give them back stories of their own and just choose which choices I want accordingly.

PS. I love Liara

#17 ThePhoenix, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  18. setnyx

in sims and urbs i always run a male character who looks like who i am inside. one time i clicked the wrong action and he kissed a guy i was surprised, didn't know you could do that. i deleted that file right away. lol. it definitely wasn't who i am.

19. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In RPG's, the characters I can customize, I make as much like me as possible, including gender, orientation, skill class, etc. and I play the game and make decisions in the game like I would if I was really there. Except if it was GTA or some other game like that, then of course I wouldn't really go robbing places, and massacring random people in the street or anything like that.

#19 ShadowSpirit26, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't like the gay male choices in Mass Effect or Skyrim, so my characters with romantic relationships have all been straight.

That said, I did really love the gender slider in Saints Row 2. I put it around 3/4 male so he was clearly a guy, but with slight shades of femininity. Much better than the gender caricatures most games make you use lol.