1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Effect 3 - Was the ending really that bad?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JackAttack, Feb 25, 2014.

1. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

After completing another run through of Mass Effect 3 I dont see what all the fuss was about with the ending. The star child wasnt that bad. I read someone where that they were going to do something with Dark matter but that was scrapped.

The whole build up to the end was really good including the battle on Earth. I agree that it was bad that the choices made in 1 and 2 didnt have any affect in 3 but apart from that the game was fun. I am now looking forward to 4.

Does anyone else share this view? What would you have done instead if you didn't like the ending?

2. I love Mass Effect 3, at first I totally hated the ending but now I'm okay with it. It'd be kind of far fetched to have a true happy ending after everything that's happened.

3. Sarah257

In my opinion, yes, the ending was horrible. It was filled with so many plot holes and was just highly unsatisfying. Don't get me wrong, I'm not harping on about Shepard dying. I understand that it brings a certain bittersweet ending, and makes for a good tradgedy. It was just that the ending, from the point after Anderson's death, didn't feel true to the story. My Shepard would not have stood for that kid and his insane logic. The whole time the kid was speaking I was like "Come on Shepard! Why are you listening to this?! What the heck!?" Seriously, I absolutely love the series, but it's the last five minutes of the game that I can't stand. Shame that Bioware didn't do it better. :frowning2:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally wanted to see a happy Shepard and the galaxy live forever as bestest buds but... anything was better than the abomination that was mass effect 2.

5. casper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought the ending was perfect! The choices from me1 and 2 didn't really come back but because good choices in the previous games did influence how high your war asset was it kinda did affect the ending because low war assets gave horrible endings hahaha. I really hoped that there wouldn't be a choice for Shepard to survive ( even though the destroy ending is not complete death hahaha) because in my opinion it was his destiny to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the entire galaxy. The synthesis ending is especially good in my opinion because it really unites the entire galaxy and omg the crying EDI part was just too much to handle for me hahahaha.

6. Nikky DoUrden

In comparison to RPG games the ending was horrible, in comparison to Action games I guess the ending was ok ... although Assassins Creed had way better ending, and its an action game >.>

It seems they just got tired and didn't really put effort to the ending ..

7. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw, I liked Mass Effect 2 the best. I don't have any of the DLC for Mass Effect(well except for "Bring Down the Sky") so I can't comment on that but ME2 felt the most fleshed out game to me. You could explore more, I liked mining/probing the planets, and the research stuff too. You also had the most squad mates if I remember correctly. And it felt longer than ME3, probably as long or maybe a tad longer than ME1 but w/o the clunky combat system(although I'm sadface about never getting disc grenades back). I mean the Collectors were kinda stupid(seriously, the Collectors! Holy bad villain names Batman!) and the had already done insectoids with the Rachni. But I'll forgive, alien bugs is pretty much a science fiction archetype these days.

8. Just Jess

I absolutely loved the ending. It was a great tribute to Trevise's choice in the Foundation series. I also didn't mind the "switch up" (Paragon -> Illusive Man's plan, Renegade -> Anderson's plan) because even though I ended up way more paragon than renegade in the third game, I still liked the Illusive Man's plan better than just continuing the cycle, and the extended cut ending where Shepard uses the Reapers to fix all the mass effect relays was a nice touch.

I still have mixed feelings about the synthesis ending. I've gone back and forth ever since I read basically the same ending in Foundation. Except in those books, it was a biological hive mind instead of a synthetic one. So the "control the reapers" ending to me was very satisfying. After all these years I get a choice that is both good, and preserves free will.

But the synthesis ending still had a little bit of free will going on, with EDI and Joker hugging each other. So I'm still not 100% on how I feel about the synthesis ending.

The only thing I don't like about it is, if you work your butt off to save both the Geth and the Quarians, if you think about it you resolved the central conflict right there. The whole reason the Reapers were showing up was to deal with the cycle of AI revolting against its creator. Well guess what? You solved that whole thing! Already! They have peace and are learning how to work together. So the whole thing with the Reapers and the Crucible? Worse than completely pointless, because the Geth and the Quarian would eventually come up with a better strategy than the options that Shepard was given.

---------- Post added 27th Feb 2014 at 11:55 AM ----------

Also I was really really torn between Liara and Traynor. I picked Liara just so I wasn't cheating on her but I wanna play the game again and date Traynor instead. Traynor had way more personality in 3, Liara just became 2 dimensional and tied to her work. Although at least I could be there for her when her home planet was destroyed.

9. volleyball girl

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the ending was good. It was kind of just. You go through so much in ME1 and ME2 that it wouldn't seem right to have a "happy" ending. I agree that it sucks but it's a kind of poetic justice. And your name will live on forever throughout history as the commander who saved the galaxy. And I am definitely excited for the next game. Even though it will be with different characters, I am super excited for it :slight_smile:

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it was that bad. All the other actions you took for the total of three games were boiled down to "you still sort of get screwed any way you slice it" thanks to the most whopping and unexplained diabolus ex machina I have ever seen.

That's not to consider that previous games needed the choices to be reined in a bit so the story could have circumstances to start the next game. With the third, however, no such narrowing at the end was necessary. It could have ended in dozens of ways had they the time to make a bunch of different endings. Hell, they could have even had a text epilogue that tells you what happens if they were in too much of a development crunch. But they went for "screw all that noise" instead. I'm a rabid Mass Effect fan, but that ending was about on par with that of KotOR 2 in terms of disappointment.

11. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm fine with sad endings. I expected Shepard to die. Fine. My problem was with the choices. I guess maybe it was the libertarian in me; but I couldn't bring myself to force beings to be something they might not want to be. (Combining artificial and biological life) Or wiping out all AI. So I had to choose the Renegade ending where Shepard controls the reapers which is bullshit because I played all three games as a paragon!!!

12. Ashen

See the thing is. I don't necessarily think the ending was absolutely horrible. When I first played it I couldn't even tell you it was bad because I wanted to believe it would be good. But it wasn't. Even on my first palythrough when I was TRYING to like it, I had to at least describe the ending as very dissatisfying. If only because the goddamn starchild. It also just seemed like a lackluster ending. I get that the battle of earth was an epic shootout and all, but the ending seemed to be more of a whimper when it should have been a big bang. It also felt like it just kinda broke the style of the series a bit. I mean, you've always had a choice, sure, but that didn't really feel like a choice, it felt more like "pick one, see what happens". I think it would have been much more satisfying if the ending was a lot more grand, and hell, I wouldn't even mind if it were fixed IF it were based on your actions throughout all there (or 1, or 2) games.