1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Building

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Amazo, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey guys/gurls I was thinking, of building my computer this year as my old one is letting me down >.<

There are two gaming pc's but I don't know if its worth spending the money or a budget pc would do ?

PC:1 Budget Build
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670 £159.00
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H Motherboard Maximum 32 GB £58.24
    Graphics Card: Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 Jetstream Graphics Card £239.98
    Power Supply: Corsair CP-9020054-UK RM Series RM650 80 Plus Gold 650W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power £79.99
    Ram: Crucial BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0CEU 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Ballistix Sport Single Memory Module £56.83
    Case: Sharkoon T9 ATX Midi Tower Case - Green £50.99
    Hard Drive: Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch £52.72
    Total Price: £697.75

PC:2 HighEnd build
    CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 Quad Core £219.81
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45-GAMING ATX Motherboard £112.87
    Graphic Card: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 780Ti Graphics Card £518.10
    Power Supply: Corsair CP-9020054-UK RM Series RM650 80 Plus Gold 650W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit £79.99
    Ram: Kingston Technology 8GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 HyperX Memory Module - Red £59.00
    Case: NZXT Phantom USB 3.0 Big Tower Chassis - White £104.98
    Hard Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive £109.59
    Total Price: £1,204.34

I chose Intel builds over AMD due to the fact they are more cooler than AMD :dry:
    and... if you guys know any better builds I can get the performance for my buck I would be really happy. Also... if you could tell me how many years will each build lasts it would be helpful as I want to know... which one would go out of date first.

2. ZenMusic

Looks like a very good computer. I'd go with the first one for because not only does it look like it serves it's purpose very well and is also cheap.

3. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm thinking if the 650W psu would be enough ? or would a 600 be enough o.o cuz I still can't figure it out... I am always stuck when choosing power supply I just chose it because it specified on Nvidia's page that the gtx 770 would require a 600 PSU... so I thought 650w would be right ? or should I save more money on buying a 600 only ?

4. ZenMusic

Is it possible to buy both? Power Supplies are my weak point I'm afraid.

5. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I thought one power supply would be enough.. instead of going for both XD

6. I'm running a Geforce Titan on a 700W psu, I'd go with a bit more than 650. Also, I'd get an Asus mobo before Gygabyte.

7. Simple Thoughts

Just throwing this out there, but...if you're gonna get an i5 or i7 you may want to consider getting liquid cooling as well. I mean supposing you're going to be doing anything that might be taxing on your pc. Such as gaming.

As for your power supply issue...I'm not sure. If I were to build an i5/i7 I'd get at least the 750w just to be safe. That's just me though. I prefer not to run into future problems ^^

8. I've had 2 gaming pcs with i7 and an i5. They both run really cool even with stock fan. I agree with Simple Thoughts to go with a 750w. I see that the second pc has an MSI mobo, stay far away from those.

9. Simple Thoughts

That's good. I was just saying cause I've had friends who built their own and sometimes they feel inclined to push their pc's as far as they'll go and it puts some stress and causes em to run pretty hot. So, I figured I'd warn em if they were going to be playing anything overly demanding they may want to consider it ^^

10. Maybe they don't have good cases. I have an overclocked i5 at 4.1ghz with a geforce titan super clocked. My pc is always running cool :slight_smile:

11. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am wondering if I get a 750 watt PSU wouldn't that be a big hit on my electricity bill XD and whats wrong with MSI Motherboards o.o ? or Gigabyte are better on the average side ?

12. No, with a 750w you wouldn't see much of a difference on electricity usage. MSI mobos are not that reliable, Gigabyte are above average and ASUS are the best. They're indestructible

13. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Cool... thx bud :icon_bigg

14. BlueLines

I have used a lot of Samsung drives and the Samsung EVO drive has TLC flash that wears down faster then the MLC flash in the Samsung PRO drives. I recently built a computer and I went with the pros and couldn't be happier. That's not to say the EVO drives wont last a long time, but if you do lots of data writing to your SSD then the pro might be better for your needs.

Also if you are only gaming at 1080p then a 770/780SC would be a better bet. They are cheaper then the Ti and you wont notice much difference. I have a a Ti, and a friend with a 780 and personally I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two at 1080.
    The Ti does start to pull ahead a little in surround gaming. (Or 3D) I have always bought EVGA and never had a problem with any other their graphics cards. So that could be another option as their ACX cooler is really nice.

I do second the suggestion of an ASUS motherboard though, they are sweet, and the one I have has never given me any problems.

Also as far as power supplies go, most of the time people buy way more then they need. If you pick up too big of a power-supply then you miss out on some of its efficiency as peak efficiency for most power supplies I have seen is right around 50-80% load. Also higher efficiency power supplies tend to run cooler and quieter. Power supply rating are just how much power they can supply internally to a computer, so power usage normally changes with system demand. When I buy power supplies I just normally go with what the manufacture suggests for two of what ever cards I use in an SLI configuration, so I have a little room to expand the system.

Haswell (4xxx) series Intel chips can run a little warm, so investing in an aftermarket cooler is a good idea so you can get the most out of your chip. Also going with K sku's of the intel chips give you an unlocked core multiplier for easier overclocking for some free performance gains. Also if most of your heavy usage is gaming, I would save some money and go for a 4670k and overclock it a bit. Haswell can be tricky to overclock though, so just keep an eye on the temps... The only thing you loose by going with an i5 is hyper threading, and that doesn't always improve performance.

A good aftermarket cooling solution is a Corsair H80i or H100i depending on budget and room in your computer case. They are not as good as a full custom loop but they are still better then most air coolers out there.

I know this has been a long post, so I will wrap it up.
    If your not expecting to need more then 16GB of RAM I would pick up two matched 4GB sticks and run them in dual channel mode. Its just an easy way to get a little performance boost.

#14 BlueLines, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  15. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    speaking of overclocking I chose the i5 or i7 without the K thats due to the fact I dont intend to overclock... but will it be enough with the stock coolers ? or for these new PCs I have to get a new cooler as I don't want to see an over heated PC if u know what I mean, and thanks for the advice m8 it was usefull :icon_wink and in case I just need a cooler do you have any other idea's of coolers cuz... water cooling is new to me never did it before and I am afraid I will end up frying my whole system if water escapes out of it :dry:

16. If you don't plan to do any overclocking the stock cooler is good enough. My i7 and i5 have stock coolers and they stay cool. Not to mention my i5 is overclocked at 4.1ghz and still runs cool.

17. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I will be getting i5 since... it has stock cooler that comes with it... and it will do for now, greedy Intel won't add stock cooler with i7 :dry: lols

18. A nice decent case with good air flow will help a lot too!

19. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I was going for this... I'm sure it will do... right ?
    Sharkoon T9 ATX Midi Tower Case - Red
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]