1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid computer problems -.-'

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

Hey. I have been using an ancient laptop for awhile now, but my friend brought me one of his old desktops. It has XP on it, and maybe I'm just way too used to 7 at this point...

I can't get Skype or yahoo messenger to install. It keeps being a friggin cunt about it >.>

It kept saying it was because of the 'firewall' so I completely killed my firewall altogether and it still doesn't wanna work. >.<

I dunno what its deal is. I'm about to just stick with the used up/fried/ancient laptop because I need my messengers for communication with particular people who refuse to use anything else >.>

2. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you will get a lot, if anything, working on Windows XP in the way of messaging software.

An option might be installing a free OS like Linux Ubuntu?

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally wouldn't waste any time on XP. Support will be ending very soon (like within 2 months), at which time the malware writers might very well unleash a flood of malware like XP has never seen before...

A different OS would be a good idea.

A Linux distro is one good option. I'd avoid Ubuntu unless the machine is reasonably modern. But I'm hearing Lubuntu (based Ubuntu, but "lighter weight") suggested as an XP replacement.

I believe Skype is available, as are messenger clients that will apparently support Yahoo.

4. Simple Thoughts

Well I'm not the one who set it up, and I really don't care much for Linux -.-'

Sadly enough, this is still better than my laptop xD

5. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you have a 2nd firewall software, in addition to the one that is built into windows?
    Or maybe does your router have a firewall in it?

Yahoo's site says messenger is compatible with Win XP. Been years since I've used Y.M. LOL, but just installed it on my other PC (which has Win-XP) to test & that worked fine.

Go to messenger.yahoo.com/platform/win , download & run the install app... then
    *very important*
    make sure to click the small 'custom install' link at the top of the first screen.
    then un-check ALL the boxes

After that just go through the rest of the install :slight_smile:

--------
    I've read that Skype has spyware built in so I'd never put that crap on any computer.
    (the fact its owned by Micro$oft is another reason I'd shy away from it LOL)

6. Simple Thoughts

Thanks for the help, but that computer was giving me too many headaches. I switched back to the laptop.

I think I'm gonna ask my friend to put linux on that other pc.

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sounds like a good plan!

8. BelleFromHell

Be grateful you don't have Vista! :astonished: My goddamn laptop refuses to download ANYTHING, really. Of course, I use my tablet more often, so it doesn't really make a difference anymore. (!)

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recommend something nice and friendly for newer users to GNU/Linux like Mint or something.

10. Simple Thoughts

I'm vaguely familiar, but it's no problem. One of my friends is a heavy linux enthusiast. He'll probably be excited about getting to put it on someone else's pc...lord knows he used to do it to my laptop all the time. Lost so many files -.-'