1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinons wanted on new computer

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by KWDBM, Mar 7, 2014.

1. KWDBM

Let me start by saying that I'm not exactly a techie, so I don't know all the details about my computer or what kind of stuff computer have now.

I'm saving up to buy a new computer (it'll take until at least June to save up, I think). My desktop is at least 9 years old and I've never replaced anything so, according to the guys at Staples (and the fact that it won't hold an internet connection and randomly shuts off) it's just... dying. It'll cost almost as much to fix it as to get a new computer, so...

I've worked with Windows XP and nothing else pretty much since XP came out. I know they are "ending support" for it soon and I have no clue what OS I should switch to. I've heard tons of stuff from my friends about the instability of Vista, and someone said Windows 7 isn't available anymore? I have no clue. Any suggestions?

I don't know about my desktop since it won't freaking turn on right now, but the laptop I'm currently using has 80GB, and with transfering *everything* from my desktop I've still only used about 37GBs. I have no clue what new computers come with nowadays, but if I'm not gaming and mostly use the computer for photos, typing, and internet, I shouldn't need much more space then what I have, right? (Using the laptop until I can get a new desktop but I *really* want a desktop...)

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends what you want to use the computer for. If it's just movies, photos, email and productive software (like office or whatever), then you can probably just get away with a nice basic laptop in the $500-600 range.

You could also get an Apple laptop of some kind.

3. ThePhoenix

All windows PCs and laptops come with a version of windows 8 but if your are coming from XP I would suggest if you can to use windows 7 its a lot easier to use than 8 in my opinion. Now for brand I have never had issues with Dell or HP so they might be a good brand to go with I wouldn't suggest a Mac for basic work and the fact that you have a PC. All in all I would suggest getting a desktop with at least 6gb of Ram, 250gb HD, and windows 7 OS if all you are doing is just the basics. That is only my opinion and I am not an expert on this and am only going by my experience here.

4. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems like for your uses, any laptop/desktop you could walk into at Walmart should suffice for your needs.

I recommend at least:

-A dual core CPU
    -4GB RAM for your uses
    -500 GB HDD

and Windows 8 really isn't that hard to learn, and you can install a start button and skip the Start Screen for a more comfortable experience.

5. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's usually a hard drive size that's the cheapest and most commonly installed that isn't the smallest, so don't force a downsize to save money. In general, I find the best value is to be slightly behind the newest and "best" since I don't need all the latest stuff -- just enough performance that I won't be sorry in a few years. I'm not sure what numbers that translates to, but the discount store offerings will probably have it.

I'm still using XP but have 7 on my new PC. If you're buying new, you'll probably want to stick with what OS they install, to avoid extra expense. I was able to get an older OS (XP instead of Vista) when I bought one PC at a computer show because they were customizing them while we waited. I wouldn't recommend a show, however.

6. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second this. If later you find need more space, get an external hard drive. They are so cheap thesedays, and they'll likely be even cheaper by then! My first external hard drive was a LaCie 2TB and although it's only been around 3 years; it's still working.
    [​IMG]
    How you have survived on 80GB... I do not know. Then again, you likely don't waste as much time as I do with music!

Yeah, Vista, I've used it on other people's computers... and I personally hate it. I love Windows XP! Windows 8 is extremely easy, although I played around with it to make it as robust as XP. You'll be fine with almost any mid-range computer. Remember you might also need to purchase accessories, so keep that in mind when you decide how much you're gonna spend. Do not forget to buy Anti-virus software. I recommend Kaspersky. Don't get Norton unless you know what you're doing. I'm basically paid to remove that from computers.

Set a budget and stick to it. I strongly advise you to buy a computer in a physical store. If you order online it could arrive broken and it's harder to deal with any problems that occur. There might be workers in the store that will advise you - be aware they might try to confuse you with technobabble to promote computers more expensive and powerful than you really need. If you get a warranty, don't bother with more than a year. You managed to maintain a computer for 9+ years!

I had such fun when I bought my Sony Vaio. A store helper tried to get me to buy some overpriced junk computer that just happened to have the i7 processor. Anyway, out of all my computers, my fave is of course my Sony Vaio. This isn't the exact version, yet it looks exactly the same.
    [​IMG]
    So I can pretend I'm a smart businessman when I carry it xD