1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updating from Windows 8 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mnguy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My Lenovo laptop came with Windows 8 and I did the update to 8.1, but have had some driver issues it seems. Talking to Lenovo support about two issues, they said there isn't a driver for 8.1 yet for one of the issues. Have others had that problem? It seems like 8.1 has been out long enough that this shouldn't be an issue. Basically they said I should go back to 8 and see if those problems continue and if they do it might be a hardware issue, but I don't want to do that just yet.

Related to this was a recurring "driver power state failure" that would bring up the blue screen of death and it would restart. I ended up changing the power management to stable and that hasn't happened since.

Just curious if others have had trouble getting compatible drivers or other issues after updating to 8.1.

2. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not have any issues with updating from 8 to 8.1, besides the IE randomly opens up, and I have to close it, but besides that, nothing.

3. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

Just a hint in case you did not already know. A nice replacement for the horrible windows apps is the google chrome apps with their little chrome app launcher from the desktop. It solves the most annoying thing about the new OS on desktop PCs

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

For me, my windows Apps stopped working... and it is annoying, it's been so long since the update and my People, calender, mail etc apps crash... sucks... but that was the only issue I have encountered thus far

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    My graphic drivers went kaput when I went from 8 to 8.1.
    After a long while fixing it and re-installing Windows, I'm back to Windows 7. <3

6. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    From what i've heard, no major code was rewritten from 8 to 8.1. They only added more customizations and bug fixes and stuff. Some people above seem to be having issues but I question how old their computers are. Sure I have a higher end computer and it's only a couple years old but drivers weren't effected at all for me. I guess it really depends.

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I suppose mine is "high end" I made it myself, all my drivers were unaffected by the update, it's just the built in apps that I lost, which is no big deal lol

8. robotman

I keep getting a message like once a week saying "update to windows 8.1" but I am used to windows 8 now and I really can't be bothered to update it, is there a really big difference? I think I will just wait for it to be a mandatory update lol.

9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I didn't read update notes or anything, but the only big difference i noticed is the re-addition of the start menu

10. Craig117

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Windows 8.1 fixes several bugs and adds some better customisation with the start screen. (Namely the option to better-organise tiles and the ability to select a smaller tile size)

It's nothing major, but upgrading to it from 8 should in theory be painless. It's more like a Windows 8 Service Pack 1 than an outright new version of the OS. :slight_smile:

11. nl226374

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had no problems updating to 8.1, and my computer is 4 years old!