1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do in this MMO situation?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kaabool, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Kaabool

Kaabool Guest

So recently I have been playing guild wars 2 frequently...and I usually avoid getting into guilds, because usually gamers love to joke about gayness quiet often, and I am not in a state right now to be 'whatever' about it.

But alas I always succumb and do join a guild cause I love group and guild activities etc.

And just as I was like...it is not really that bad come on join this guild invite, it will at least take you a few days till you see upsetting lines on the chat box.

But oh boy, maybe its my karma, a guy logs in who is quiet obnoxious and loves to be a jackass, at first I was like well they are all guildies probably friends just messing around.

But then he proceeds to harras a certain player, saying he has been told that he is gay, "so you like sucking cock" and you know..those bitchy kinda taunts. The player says I dont need to advertise my likes or dislikes and I am glad you are comfortable with sexuality or something of that sort.

The jackass says, oh yes I am very comfortable getting my cock sucked, and then some random player goes ahahahaa hilarious or whatever. He continues to be festive in his jackassish ways, and I was like...this is my first day in a guild in a LONG time...don't start let it go and level up this damn guardian.

But he proceeds to celebrate that he annihilated the 'supposedly' gay guy. So I whisper(personal message) the gay guy saying, are you guys like friends and he is just...'dicking' around...or what?

He says no he logs every now and then but he is usually an ass, but he doesn't know what the rest of the guild think.

A few guys try to defend the gay guy, with random comments like whats wrong with sucking cock..or dont use that word (game censor was on, so I dont know what word was that exactly).

Anyways I decide to go full on troll mode my self....and call him out on his jackassery, he says yes i am so are you....and a lot of very childish bantering back and forth, and him always trying to have the last word, I know that is what trolls do!, but I wanted to outtroll him.

He is also quiet needy in his comments, saying 'your breaking my heart' and stuff like that to his fellow members, so I said you know you are quiet bitchy. Then a guild 'officer' finally intervenes and says stop it - change the subject, and someone tells me to back off, so I say what is the problem, he is saying we are a bunch of cocksuckers, I am saying he is a bitch, we are having a nice all around guild chat here.

So before he logs off he says good night mother*****s, and see you later or something of that sort.

I am not surprised they tried to diffuse the situation without anything mentioned about him to back off of the gay guy (although some guys tried to defend him), while I was the one who got them to say anything. Cause that is how it goes, when a gay guy is being made fun of its just awkward, probably because most guys if they are ok with being gay its out of political correctness theyll still inside have a problem with it and find it funny, and if you do defend your accused of being gay yourself.

I did not disclose my sexual status, although ofc the troll suspected the only reason I am pissed is that I am gay, and most of them will see it that way. The reason I didn't cause frankly, it creeps most players, and I just want to play my damn game in peace.

I tried to go like I am going to stay in the guild in-spite of this, but could not.

My question is, am I being over-dramatic?, should whoever want to joke about cocksuckers, and **** just rampage along. I know most say take the high road, but I know I just put logs into that trolls flames, and it did feel good for a while. I mean its bad enough in real life I have to deal with this and let it slide on for...life's sake...now I have to do it in fantasy too?

I am..quiet upset...:frowning2:.

#1 Kaabool, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  2. White Knight

Tho probably due to my luck I usually been with mature players. So those kind idiots usually left out alone and can't live in our gaming groups.

Seems like you should control yourself better and always remember first rule of online interactions: Never feed Trolls.

On a situation like this contact highest ranking guild officer or GM to deal with the offender. Didn't play GW but if NCSoft has similar report system like CoH then never stand back from reporting those players. I do it all the time even on zone/general chat offenders in whichever game I am playing. My general idea is most of those offenders are attention whores instead of real homophobic persons.

While I don't like LGBT/Gay only guilds(I like every color in my brush, those kind of guilds feels like prettied up prisons for me), if you are feeling that upset you might want to join one.

Sorry you have to deal with something like that.

Hugs.

3. Villo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never been in your situation when playing a MMO, but then again, I have always been in guilds with rules about how you are supposed to act (Do not insult other people based on their religion, skin colour, sexuality etc.). So I guess I have been fortunate to get into skilled, yet fun guilds.

About your question of being over-dramatic: It is a common act to defend yourself if you feel insulted/offended;p But instead of responding to his negative attitude, there are usually easier ways. Just like White Knight mentioned, contact an officer or guild master and inform him what is going on, they will usually figure out something that will make him stop, even if it means they have to kick him out of the guild.

I hope your guild will be able to figure out something soon about this, and I also hope you will feel better soon instead of being upset ^.^ *Hugs*

4. Porphyrogenitus

Right click + Block. Does work for guild chat now, I understand.

Otherwise, you just need to find a better guild, tbh. One that will take some action against players who act in an offensive way. Do some research, ask around, etc. Mature guilds (18+ or 21+) usually have much better practices with this sort of thing, though your age isn't listed so idk if you qualify. Your server probably has a community ts for wvw, which is a good way to find out the culture of a guild before joining it (even if you don't like PvP/WvW, many guilds are PvX). If you do only PvE, many guilds will also accept cross-server players, since you can just guest over if you want to group up.

5. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I did experience one jackass like that in a guild on a game i was playing a few years back. We ended up dating each other in real life lol

6. Nikky DoUrden

I never stay in guilds with jackasses.
    Thats why when I search for a guild I always look for a MATURE one, and in those guilds the guild leader will usually kick people like him... have u told the guild leader of that? its a simple matter to kick him, I think no one wants to be in a guild with that kind of guy.

Anyway don't worry about looking for a guild, there will always be those who think highly of themselves, u only need to find the guild that won't tolerate them :slight_smile:

7. ZenMusic

I was in quite a biased guild to be honest, I was getting called a dick whore among many things in SWTOR before, one person out of 15 defended me, but the next day someone else got griefed by the same person, and he got kicked immediately. If you want to it for the good of other people, talk to the guild leader and senior members about the person in question. If you don't want to deal with him yourself, block him.

8. Destiel

If it bothers you to that extent and if you don't like the guild too much I'd suggest just leaving it. I've left guilds before because of homophobic content on their chat logs and I just don't want to be a part of it. If you still want to be in guilds because it is fun, you can always research guilds online. There are a lot of guilds out there who make pages or information known about their guild via the internet. I've found a guild for WoW and they're amazing and refuse to deal with any rude people in the guild, and if someone turns out to be like that they boot them. I did that and asked for an invite from one of the guild heads and I got in. So if you really feel uncomfortable with your guild just leave it and research to find good non-asshole guilds. It's hard to find ones without those kind of dickheads, but it is possible. Hope I helped! (either that or sabotage him by going up in your guild ranks and booting him - teehee)

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Teh internets tough guys...

Man ignore that stuff. It will NEVER go away. If it's not gay people it's making fun of ethnicity or religion or something else. Or just a string of profanity that is entirely incoherent.

A mask of anonymity will do that to people.

10. Kaabool

Kaabool Guest

"The conversation getting rude, I dont respect you, Don't let me KATCH YOOO" (Anti Trolls song/youtube it!).

I have left the guild on the same day I've joined it (mentioned in my text wall!), but I felt defeated, you know how many things I have been leaving now cause of the 'we don't like the gays' attitude.

I don't know what kind of luck your having in games, I think cause I am a hardcore player and most of the times its the jackass/elitist who are hardcore gamers, and any lack of hardcorness is either labeled try hard/GAY!. (Honestly my experience in LGBT guilds is that they are not hardcore indeed, that is why I don't join them...serves me right I guess)

There is a lot of gamers who DO like that kind of a jackass, come on you know the macho game!

I know no one thinks of *gay people*, but see that is why I don't like coming out in games, rape/gayness/racial stereotypes are a stable of things used by most competitive guys. If you come out, they don't want you around making them feel guilty about their lingo, so they dont want you around.

I do love pvp, but you know how ragefull guys become and they say the most horrible stuff to psycho annihilate, that is why I don't participate as often as I would like, its so hard to just go like it's just the heat of the moment after seeing so much of it. It happens in pve high level content, but far less overall.

I am such a looser here I am all po'd by that guy, and he doesn't give a single shit...I was defeated...

Thanks for bothering with my juvenile pathetic rant.

Edit: SILVER LINING the guild leader has send me a message inquiring about what happened ... now that makes me feel better!

#10 Kaabool, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  11. White Knight

You are right about elitist/hard core types. Speaking for myself and my gaming groups, we are all laid back and playing for fun people.

We all had been in your shoes at some point I guess. Hope you can find like minded people to enjoy games.

Hugs.