1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is WOW A Sinking Ship?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Mar 26, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

A lot of people have said that WOW is on it's last legs and game quality has decclined over the past few years. I barely played it but it seems like a decent game. What do you think?

2. Villo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I doubt wow will end anytime soon.

Even though they've lost a lot of subscribers, they still have millions of them after nearly 10 years.

They also proved they do not need to follow the lore through the expansion "Mists of Pandaria", and they can easily create new expansions and relate them to the lore if they want to.

3. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think you can call a game with the amount of subscribers WoW has "a sinking ship" by any means. However I do think it's the last of the big subscriber only games, which means that yes, I am predicting Elder Scrolls Online will go FTP or to a Guild Wars-esque model at some point.

4. ThePhoenix

I don't think its going down anytime if its a sinking ship its going at a snails pace, but Blizzard has proven the game is still going strong and that they can advance and continue to not be outdated by the gaming world and advances.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, makes me wonder if the ones who left are in WOW rehab...I read someplace that there are places that specialize in gaming addiction, of all crazy things. I've certainly seen some friends gets sucked into this void! I guess it's better than crack, though.

Maybe I'll make a video game where you set up, design and run your own WOW rehab compound. I think I'd make mine way up in the mountains, and have the people have to grow all their food, and kill their own chickens for meat, and take overnight hikes and encounter bears and stuff...huh, there might be a business idea, here.

6. Sparkeeee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think WoW is in any way a sinking ship and I have no doubts that it will continue however I for one have started to loose interest in it.

My next MMO will be Wildstar when that comes out.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a few hardcore people who still play, but most of the casual people I know don't anymore. It had a good run, if it ends Blizzard will just have to come up with something new.

8. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I played WoW for around 7 years, I actually felt it helped me as a person growing up. I was a guild and raid leader around 2 years after I started playing, so I mid-teens during that and we were 3rd on our realm at peak.

I quit during the current expansion, MoP, and I think it might be for good. Cataclysm started quite well, but towards the end of it I simply didn't enjoy it. MoP had to be good for me to carry on in reality, and well, I wasn't really satisfied, so the rest is history.

It was too much farm and too many dailies for me. If you missed dailies I actually felt like I was being 'punished' for not doing the dailies, even though I hated doing them. Where's the fun in that?
    My realm died. As a guild leader, I was in charge of recruiting, when people left, which naturally happens anyway, it became impossible to replace them. We made a last ditch effort realm changing to a high population one. But same problem, only instead of there being "too few players" on my previous realm, there was simply "too many guilds" on the new realm. Also people seem to change guilds like they change clothes on the high population realms.

I look back at my time on WoW with a bit disappointment but mostly pride and good memories. I still have contact with several people from there, who I play other games with now regularly.

WoW isn't a sinking ship financial wise, they have a huge amount of subscribers and I don't expect that to change. But the game simply isn't as good as it was, in my opinion.