1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do custom built PCs usually last?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by twospiritlycan, Mar 31, 2014.

1. I've had my first custom PC for at least a year and a couple of months. It still works fine, just the startup is a teensy bit slower then usual. The thing that annoys me is the fan lights are blinking and making a clicking sound every couple of seconds. Sometimes it would do that for hours, and sometimes it would do that for a few minutes. I noticed that the graphics card handles Skyrim really good, but when I tried GTA IV it heated up within an hour. I want to still working on this internet job I just got but it would take a few months to earn a decent income. I'm worried that my only PC that I have would stop working by that time. I wouldn't have the money to build a new one.

2. revi

revi Guest

This is an incredibly subjective question because it depends on how well it was built. You can't determine a computer by what it was built with but rather by how well it was build. Also if a custom built pc does have a problem quickly it is usually due to a small oversight like a loose wire. So short answer it depends, the only thing you could do is look up the quality of your parts and their estimated life span.

3. Sarcastic Luck

It sounds like the fans/interior need to be cleaned up. When was the last time you cracked open the case and cleaned?

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

My last one serviced me for 7 proud years, had to rebuild because motherboard was going bad, only supported 4 gig ram and 1 slot went bad. Had to replace the HDD on it about 2 years back due to physical wear

5. about two months ago I cleaned it. Tried to wipe out the dust, but it usually gets hard to reach certain areas. That seems likely. So I could just clean out the dust every once in a while?

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

7. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Might want to make absolutely sure that it's the fans making the clicking noise and not your hard drive.

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Might want to make absolutely sure that it's the fans making the clicking noise and not your hard drive.

9. Sarcastic Luck

Well, that's the point of cleaning things out. It lets you examine everything and rule out that it's the fan.

10. Beware Of You

I brought an older from my boyfriend, its now about 8/9 years old, however new GPU, 3GB of Ram and 2x500GB hard drives and its awesome.

Turns out it can support dual core so it should get even more powerful. I mean it can no pull 60fps on Portal 2

11. Pretty sure it's notthe hard drive clicking. The fans often somehow stop blinking and the clicking would stop when that happens. Usually though they click and blink most of time.

12. charmander

This is all depends on the different things you've used to build it

Some parts are designed to work over long periods of time and some aren't this is usually easily figured out with the price in most cases.