1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a little irritated =/

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

So, I was curious about FemistFrequency and her videos about 'tropes vs. women' the whole Damsel in distress thing...

That was the biggest load of 'I just made this up as I went along' garbage I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. -.-'

I love how the ending moral of her three part series was 'Males as protagonists is always sexist 100% of the time' such a wonderful, meaningful message that she never once bothered to back up with any sort of meaningful data.

She made zero comparisons through her series, she strictly focused on only 'damsel in distress' games without offering anything that it could be compared to for a clear understanding of it's level of good vs. bad. She simply expected you to 'take her word for it' throughout the whole thing. I mean seriously she only once in all three videos mentioned an outside source of information and that was a poll ( which she never provided a link for or even discussed who released the poll...I guess I'm supposed to just take her word that it existed because she didn't provide a means of fact-checking ) =/

Also, she really had me when she suggested that it's only bad 'when it happens to women' that it happening to men is totally okay and shouldn't be given a second thought ( except to encourage more of it ) so it was completely backwards and a double standard really -.-'

That was a giant waste of my life...

Where are the people who actually provide meaningful depth in their analysis of sexism in games?

I actually think in a lot of ways video games are a little sexist, but this video provided nothing to that discussion...maybe her fans could have, but since she doesn't like comments being posted on her page we'll never know =/

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Double standards.

However...

[​IMG]

Don't you know all males have to have rippling muscles and look like movie stars with handsome rugged good looks?

3. Simple Thoughts

Of course they do. Why wouldn't they?

It's perfectly okay to judge males based on stereotypes =/

Seriously though...this woman -.-'

I was honestly giving her a fair shot when I stepped into that video, but that was just a load of nonsense

4. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

I haven't heard of FemistFrequency (sorry, not a gamer). But unfortunately the world is filled with less-than thoughtful analysis and confirmation bias. I try to not think of situations like this as an "us vs. them" thing, since we're ultimately all in the same canoe. Someone somewhere benefits when women and men, or white and dark-skinned, or queer and straight go against each other and it isn't us. Hopefully, you can find the more developed discourse on this subject that you seek. :slight_smile:

5. blimmr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel as though video games are sexist because they were well.... built for MAN. I support equality when it come to genders. But you can't jump into a playing field and expect them to change the rules or standards just because your not comfortable or used to it.
    Videos games even show they don't care for feminist or equal right by the blatant disrespect and disregard for the opposite sex. Take Uncharted 3, the females are the damsels in distress and drake is the brave macho man who comes to there every rescue even though he's the trouble maker. Ooh or Max Payne 3, how the whole game was built on that woman getting kidnapped and having to be saved.
    Game developers hide their thoughts and opinions on topic like these in their games, especially Japanese developers. How they excessively enlarge the female assets and make them dim-witted and dual to show that they need dependence on the man and have nothing better to give or show.
    (All of this is strictly my opinion and you're not obligated to agree with my and my views.)

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you just link the series in question? I am going to watch it and see. But I honestly doubt she's making very many of the claims you are asserting she makes.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The new Tomb Raider? Portal? Any rpg which allows you to create a female character? Metroid? There are tons of respectable women in games. But since the biggest gamer demographic is young adult males, they're going to make games which appeal to them.* Granted I support women's rights also, but I think the gaming industry's "war on women" is just not true.

8. Kreiger

Yeah, I severely doubt video game companies are intentionally trying to put people down. I just wish there were more interesting females in video games. There are a lot, but it is disproportionately targeted at men being the ones who have to do everything. Also it doesn't help when companies make a videogame about Princess Peach and her biggest weapon is crying...

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is a list of female protagonists (not including create your own)

Samus Aran
    Lara Croft
    Female Commander Shepard
    Tyris Flare from golden axe
    Terra, Celes, Tifa, Quistis, Rinoa, Yuna. Rikku, Lightning ... Do I keep naming ff chars?
    Ah... Almost any fighting games female characters ever.
    The cast of the Persona series.
    Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness
    Jade from Beyond Good and Evil
    Claire Redfield
    Jill Valentine

Should I go on?

10. Simple Thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q

and yes, she does make all the claims I mentioned.

My biggest problem is her completely lack of any opinion besides her own. She doesn't cite articles, she doesn't reference the other side of the argument ( at all not even once ), and she can't even be bothered to turn her comments on and open up the discussion.

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2014 at 01:55 AM ----------

I agree. I think in a lot of ways videos games do have some sexist tendancies. I was actually fairly interested in this video because of that. My problem is her failure to give a real argument on the subject. It's just her giving you one side of the story ( her side ) I don't like people like that.

Any good argumentative piece includes cited resources and counter-arguments to the claim your making.

Think about papers you've had to write in college ( assuming you've been there ) they want you to provide at least a handful of arguments from the 'other side' because your paper should be engaging and informative not misleading and one sided.

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2014 at 02:00 AM ----------

Cortana! ( admittedly she's an AI, but without her Chief can't do a damn thing. )

I can't remember the girl's name, but the protagonist in the Perfect Dark series was a woman and a badass too! <3

Almost all of the Silent Hill games have a female protagonist

The antagonist in F.E.A.R is a little girl who's easily one of the most terrifying enemies of all time 0.0

I know there are others I'm just drawing a blank at the moment =/

11. BelleFromHell

I watched the video. She said she was going to talk about Super Princess Peach later in the video, but she never did. I'm disappointed... :frowning2:

Overall, I think she brought up some good points here and there, but she mostly repeated the same stuff over and over again.

12. Simple Thoughts

She talks about Super Princess Peach in the 3rd installment of her 3 part series. ( she didn't lie about that...she just really drug her feet on it )

I actually did happen to agree with her thoughts on 'Mario'. That game is pretty sexist, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out...everything else I'm skeptical she didn't provide anything other than an overhyped opinion.

Also, she got donated 100,000 dollars on kickstarter to do her "in depth" analysis of video games...I'm wondering where that money went because clearly she didn't use it on video quality. Seriously where did that money go? With the amount of money she got to do these videos of hers there should be some high quality animations, some interviews with esteemed people, and all sorts of other things...instead we get a crappy 'copy/paste' platform that probably cost her 1 webcam and a bit of software that was like maybe a hundred bucks of so...talk about rip off.

#12 Simple Thoughts, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  13. BelleFromHell

Is the 3rd one also 25 minutes long?!..
    [​IMG]

I'll have to watch it tomorrow, it's already 2:50AM here.

As much as I hate to admit it considering it was a HUGE part of my childhood, the Mario series is pretty sexist. No one could be kidnapped as often as Peach. I've never played Super Princess Peach (although I want to), but I've heard some people say it promotes feminism, so I want to see her opinion on it.

Wait, she got 100,000 dollars in donations to make those videos?! I could've made better ones for $50!

14. Simple Thoughts

Yes, yes she did. I don't know if it was these three in particular or the other two on the same topic, but they're all about the same...=/

Super Princess Peach is unimaginably sexist 0.0

Her power is PMS

15. BelleFromHell

*looks up game on wikipedia*

MY GOD... you're right!! :confused:

16. Simple Thoughts

17. BelleFromHell

[​IMG]
    Now I kinda wish I had PMS powers... :lol:

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2014 at 11:08 PM ----------

1) I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

2) Damn. :frowning2:
    Do you know what artwork she plagiarized?

18. bethpurple

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I watched those videos a few months ago, when I heard what they were about, and that she was getting lots of internet hate because of it. I don't remember the details very well, but I think she knew what she was talking about, and I agree with her - most video games are pretty sexist, and that sucks.

I liked the series, but not enough to watch them all again, so I went and looked at the end of the transcript of the third video. She doesn't say anything like that.

edit: I guess I took a long time to write that... there were 5 new posts between when I started writing and when I posted.

#18 bethpurple, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  19. Simple Thoughts

"While these types of games are a refreshing departure from the standard formula, and something I'd like to see more of, the focus is still solely on the male characters. and so at their core, these games are really deconstructing the player's assumptions of the traditional hero archetype. A true subversion of the trope would have to star the damsel as the main playable character." - in reference to games challenging the gender stereotype she dislikes.

Translation

"Yeah these games are challenging sexism, but it's still sexist because men are the protagonists"

At least that's how I read into that statement...=/

20. ThePhoenix

Yes some game are sexist some are not, but that's what happens when the majority of an industry is male and targeted towards them, and some companies don't do anything to stop it or just ignore it. Its just another way to get more money for some and feeding what they believe their audience wants.