1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My D drive is almost full

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, Apr 8, 2014.

1. theMaverick

But I don't know with what. I'm running Windows 7. When I go to Computer it says Local Disk (D:slight_smile: 8.02 GB free of 266 GB. When I click on it, I have 7 items in there. A folder called 271c8fb73986b85a8b0bea302c07305d only has one item in it called MRT and it says it's an application. When I click on it, it says Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access it item. First, WHY?!?!? Second, what the hell is it? That folder is only 86.5 megabytes

There is another folder with another alphanumeric random ass name that says it's "larger than 33.4 MB but in properties it says 33.5 MB. This folder is filled with a bunch of files named with numbers and I literally cannot see what is in these folders. Tells me I've been denied permission to access this folder. WTF.

Then there's Samsung recovery folder (5.75GB), SystemSoftware folder(3.06GB), MY-PC folder(empty), WindowsImageBackup (4.00 KB)folder, and MediaID.bin (1KB)

That does NOT add up to 258 GB. So what is on my D drive that is filling it up?

2. Minamimoto_Fan

You could possibly have a virus like a Trojan horse that's replicating itself rapidly and eating your memory up, or it could possibly be malware that's gotten into your computer.

THat's what happened to me when I had something similar happen to me.

3. kem

kem

It's probably your temp folder, that tends to clog up particularly with Windows. Download and install clean-up software such as CCleaner and see if that frees up some space.

Also, check if you have any software you don't use or need anymore, it's surprising how much space those can eat.

4. theMaverick

I've got AVG premium virus software and I just ran a scan yesterday. Didn't come up with anything.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm having a similar thing. The D drive has about 2G left so I'm not bothered, but the E drive is almost entirely taken up. I don't know crap about computers so I'm not sure what that is about.

6. theMaverick

What will happen if I format my D drive? Will I have to completely redo my entire computer?

7. Ridiculous

No, the Windows operating system is installed somewhere else by the looks of it, if those are the only 7 folders on the D drive.

If you have Windows installed somewhere else (like your C drive, if you have one) then you will just lose anything that is stored on the D drive. Make sure you copy anything you want to keep before you do it. It doesn't look like you have anything important on there other than possibly whatever is in the SystemSoftware folder.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wouldn't the Samsung Recovery folder be important? I assume that's what would contain what's needed to do a factory restore of the computer.

9. Ridiculous

Yeah maybe, but it looks like a pre-installed bit of bloat software that theMaverick doesn't use.
    Of course if you do use that, then by all means make a copy of it too :slight_smile:.

10. theMaverick

I formatted my D drive, making a copy of SystemSoftware and the Samsung Recovery Folder. Usually, when I turn on my computer, it's a good 3-5 minutes before I can use it because it's just like...doing something. This morning I turned it on and BOOM. Instant response. So I obviously didn't screw up anything XD Thanks guys!

Now, another computer question. WHEN I turn my computer on, Spotify opens automatically. In Spotify preferences, I have it set to don't open automatically, but it does. So I went to MSCONFIG, and freaking Spotify isn't even in there to open automatically? What the fudge? I love Spotify, but I'll get rid of it if this isn't made right. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2014 at 08:26 AM ----------

Never mind about Spotify. I've just decided to use the web player.

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On Win95/NT4-Win7 there's a program group in your Start Menu called "Startup". Items in this group won't show in MSConfig, but will start automatically. You can remove something from this group by right clicking on it in the start menu and selecting Delete.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get more D drives.

13. Nikky DoUrden

14. xkirax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opioin, it is either a viris or a prank by a hacker that somehow aquired your information. HackersOnlineClub (despite the name it is not all about hacking) this will show you a ton including how to clean your drives hope it helps

Hugs for everyone :slight_smile: