1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3DS XL or 2DS?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kaypulu, Apr 9, 2014.

1. kaypulu

I couldn't find a topic on this by quickly scrolling through and I'm sorry if this already exists.

I'm pretty sure that this summer I'll buy myself a DS, because there are so many games for it that I want to play. I just can't figure out which one would be a better purchase.

See, I don't have that much money, but in the end it's maybe not that big of a difference. I wouldn't probably be playing with it on the go, so the pocketability doesn't matter. My hands are the size of a 9-year old child, so will the huge XL feel clumpy and make my hands ache? But then again, I'd love to have a bigger screen... But then again with the price of a 2DS I could buy an "extra game" for it to be the same price as XL.

Does the hinge on the flippy floppy DS tend to break often? Wouldn't matter if I were to buy a 2DS. But the sound is only in mono. And it doesn't have the 3D ability...

OH CHOICES, CHOICES. Maybe the question boils down to; ergonomy over screen size, or screen size over ergonomy?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have 3DS XL, and love it. Out of all the DS's I'd have I've only broken the hinges on one. I have big hands so I'm not sure about the hand thing, but you should get a atleast a normal 3DS, since the graphics are so good it'd be a waste to just get a 2DS

3. kaypulu

Ooh good to hear, so the hinge wouldn't be a problem then. Because you own different DS's, can you tell how much more XL weighs than DSi or the first 3DS? Can you even tell the difference or is it very notable?

4. Emberblaze

I think the 2ds is a good idea on paper, but the fact that it can't fold is really disconcerting. It's a good save on money since you probably won't EVER use the 3D function.

If you're going for a 3DS, I'd just go and get a regular sized one, I don't think the screen size is going to make much of a difference, but it's your choice.

5. the stranger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i recommend xl because it feels good and it has a bigger screen oh and stylus is on right side easy tonget out. I got year of luigi 3ds xl and loving it

6. Hatsune Miku

idk which one you should get but if you decide to get a 2DS you could always use headphones/earbuds if you don't like using one speaker

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I feel like 3DS XL is better

8. Opture

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    3ds xl all the way!!

9. Niko

Is a regular 3DS out of question? I know it has a smaller screen but it's not as clumpy as the XL. Personally I prefer the design of the smaller 3DS than the XL. It just looks nicer.

However if you want an XL then I'd get one over the 2DS. Having the 3D feature is a lot of fun, but you don't have to use the 3D all the time if you don't want to. So basically it's 2-in-1 if you think about.

Also you can't close/fold the 2DS, while the 3DS (XL) does, so carrying it around isn't as convient.

So definitely get a 3DS(XL)!

10. kem

kem

If youre worried about price, look for a used one online. You could save like 20%. I'd go for a 3DS XL if I were you. Unless you are 3 years old I don't think the hinge breaking is an issue :grin: the 2DS is made with the <7 demographic in mind.

Then again I don't think it really matters what you are playing on, the game experience should pretty much be the same.

11. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you have the money, I would go with either the regular or the XL. This is going to sound superficial, but when I held a 2DS, it felt like I was holding something made by Leap Frog. It just didn't feel right to me I guess.

I actually own both a regular and XL, and I think the is way better. I like the bigger screen and I think the battery life is slighter longer. Though, I have medium sized hand and do have some difficulty hold the system with one hand when playing a game like Kid Icarus, though I have trouble with those types of games anyway because I'm left handed. lolI would go to a game store where they have them out on display and feel them out to see which one is more comfortable.

12. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    XL is the best IMO. The standard 3DS hurts my hands because the corners are too proud and the 2DS isn't making full use of the consoles capabilities. Not to say you shouldn't get those models, but the XL is the pinnacle of the console (if only it had the second slide pad built in...)

13. chi29

3ds xl would be better. You can get one that has a pre-downloaded game on it and some of them have cool skins on different bundles.

14. 3DS XL is better because it's more comfortable to hold in your hands and it can fold. The 2DS is neat on paper as others mentioned but its bulky, doesn't fold (easier to scratch) and it just feels cheap.

15. Kat777

3DS XL is definitely much more comfortable to hold :slight_smile:

16. Claudette

Claudette Guest

The 2DS is only an option for those who don't have the spare cash to go all out on a 3ds Xl
    It was a marketing strategy by Nintendo to allow a whole other demographic to enjoy their 3DS games. At 2DS launch it was $200 cheaper then the 3DS XL, the only features missing is fold-ability and the 3D feature, as well as only having Mono sound.
    Since it doesn't fold it is more durable at the cost of size.

I myself own a 2DS, however I won it & Pokemon X in a contest lol

I am content with my 2DS because:
    1. it was free lol
    2. I don't see myself ever using the 3d feature, and almost always using headphones
    3. it fits fine in my Purse

I would recommend the 2DS over the XL if: your vision is fine, You want to save money, not having the 3D feature is ok

17. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm gonna get the 3DS, mostly for the screen size and the fact that it folds. Don't care much for the 3D bit. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: