1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which desktop computer to get?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by VireBlaze, Apr 9, 2014.

1. VireBlaze

Hello, all. =3

Recently, I've been looking into getting a desktop, as I've kinda realized that I don't go mobile with my laptop often, and the way I do things seems more suited to a desktop.

I'm already looking at two, and I'm just wondering if anyone might be able to help me in deciding? Though, other prospects or recommendations are highly appreciated as well, as I don't know computers very well. My problem is my dad, as I would need to use his credit card to pay for, but I'm paying him back, so I'm essentially paying for it - he just said that I should steer from gaming computers because expensive and ordering online and what happens if it breaks and etc. But it would cost me two paychecks, more-or-less, with the comps I'm looking at, and I'm making sure to check out their return policies. It'll end up being my money, anyway, and I have plenty of it to spare.

So, these are the prospects;

Newegg.ca - Avatar Gaming I5-4576 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 4570 (3.20GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Used ASUS M51AC-US018S Desktop Computer M51AC-US018S B&H Photo

Windows 8, as little experience I've had with it, and as much complaining I've heard about it, doesn't seem like it can be avoided... The prices seem pretty reasonable. But, again, I know not alot about computers, so... might I please ask for some assistance? .//////.;

2. Nikky DoUrden

I would prefer the Asus one because a friend of mine told me Asus are the best :grin:

Why not build your own PC though, u pick the components and they build it for your specifications you chose, could get cheaper ^^

3. Ashen

I would go for the second one... If you look it has the same graphics card, better CPU, RAM, etc. So basically it looks to have either equal or superior parts in many places.

I echo what Nikky said though. You could probably get all of this with a few hundred shaved off if you built your own. I built this one. And it was probably way cheaper than if I had bought it, considering I built a gaming computer which has just about everything those specs have except a one teir lower video card and maybe a worse off CPU. For probably about 500-600 bucks (by now it's probably more like 400, the prices in the PC market fluctuate a lot because of how often new, better stuff comes out)

EDIT:

Oh, btw. About windows 8, I felt the same way when I got this comp. I hate windows 8. But my friend told me about this thing called start8.... Get it. It literally makes win8 just like win7 unless you press the right windows key, in which case it brings you to the win8 start menu. But other than that you get your win7 start menu back, most of the looks, etc. But with the win8 improvments

#3 Ashen, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  4. VireBlaze

I'd considered building my own in the past, but I know next to nothing about it, and I'm afraid of screwing something up, like how shocking even one piece of it will completely fry it. >__>

Or... wait, are you talking about having them build it FOR you, but you pick the components? o-O Can they do that?

And thank you, Ashen, about the little tip for Windows 8. =3 I have never been sure about it, but that's good to know. So used to Windows 7 as is.

5. Ashen

Well see, thing about building a rig is... It's like legos. Literally you just put everything in the right place, and then you put the case over it to make it look like a comp.

I'm sure you can find someone to build a rig for you... I mean, professional or otherwise. It's one of those things I haven't personally looked into so I can't say for sure, but it seems really likely. I know there are people out there who make a living off of that. So if you'd want to get someone else to build one, it may or may not end up cheaper anyway than straight up buying it. Depending on their fee. But thats the thing, is usually the two things building your own rig results in is a much more powerful system than you could get retail, and a much cheaper one.

6. VireBlaze

Hmmm... Still, I'm not sure. Looks like building it is out of the picture, anyway. >->;

Part of the reason I'm looking for a new comp is because a desktop just more suits my needs. It'd last longer, too. But apparently I'm not allowed to get a gaming comp, which... ironically is the reason I want one. Even then, a more powerful system is cheaper than this laptop. The other part is that this laptop, after a year and a half in use, has started doing this thing where the video (game or movie) lag-spikes a bit and you can hear crackling for a brief moment. And this is the way my old, old laptop started to go. I'm thinking it's probably part that it's dusty, AND the thermal paste needs a new application. But I'm kinda freaked out about taking everything apart just to clean it. >_>;

7. revi

revi Guest

Well, I think dell does builds for people. But anyway building is severely easy and quick to be learnt. But if you're insistent on buying I'd recommend the new egg one if you want more ram (run more big applications at once) and the second one if you want to run more powerful things but at the cost of not having too many programs at once.

Honestly with the amount of ram bonus I'd suggest the one with more ram over the small boost in cpu.

8. Ashen

Wait, am I missing something? The newegg one says it has 8 gigs, the other site buld says ti has 16 gigs....

Either way, most people I talk to say anything more than 8 gigs is usually unecessary unless you're running quite a few seriously intensive programs... 8 gigs is usually more than enough. My personal rig right now has only 8 gigs. I was gonna go for 16, but every just told me "nah, don't need it"

9. revi

revi Guest

Oh sorry just got those backward :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (doh!) but anyway I'm sorry ram has just been an commodity for me all the time because I like to host and run servers for various games while running other games and applications SO yeah 8 is definitely enough (again sorry) but yeah then go processor.

10. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lol, both of those would run most new games at good settings. :lol:

Building is quite easy, to be honest, but I understand not wanting to mess things up. The second one is what I'd go for, slightly more powerful CPU. Both are great and will last you a while though.

11. Tyrael

I personally have this PC at the moment on Windows 7 Ultimate:

The Novatech Black NTA29

It's pretty high spec and I use it as a gaming PC (I am not a hardcore gamer though) and you can look at versions slightly below this one in price and you'll still get good stuff. I have found Novatech to be really good. Also getting a "gaming" PC does not make it any more likely to break than a "normal" PC whatever the difference is...so yeah get a gaming PC if you want to game!

Edit: Out of the two you have offered I would take the Asus but I'm not a big fan, just saying :slight_smile:

#11 Tyrael, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  12. VireBlaze

Hmmm. Well, the only problem with the Asus, at this point, is that it's from America, and I'm pretty sure the listing would end up being more expensive, what with the conversion from American to Canadian dollars. =P

So I looked over at Tiger Direct for the heck of it, and there are also two promising comps there. Though I still have my eye on the Avatar one, as well...

Regardless, I appreciate the input from everyone. =3 It's just hard to get a REALLY good one because of this 'limit' my dad's made up. T-T He said a range from $700-$900 would be good and I'm just looking at him like 'dad plz'. Because the last two laptops I've had were over $1000, and, this one especially, is still more powerful than desktops in that range. Hard to get him to see that. <_>

Again, though, thanks. =3

(Also, for reference -

Buy the iBUYPOWER TD610 Gaming PC at TigerDirect.ca

Buy the iBUYPOWER TD730 Gaming PC at TigerDirect.ca

The two comps I'm looking at on Tiger Direct.)

13. TheShyGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Those are both very good machines. Similar specs from the AMD and Intel side, and you can't really go wrong with either. You would have more power and back for your buck from the AMD because the CPU is an 8-Core CPU, whereas the Intel one is Quad Core. Plus the clock core is higher on the AMD.

I'd personally go with the AMD, it will last you longer, and you could upgrade along the way to make it even more powerful and last even longer.

14. rainmustfall

rainmustfall Guest

I recommend you choose the computer you want based on the needs you have with what you do. The rig that I have has an unusual amount of ram because I paint extremely large digital paintings and do a lot of digital artwork in general. Certain tasks like 3d modeling for instance, it is good to get a graphics card that has a decent GPU and supports CUDA. For simple surfing you don't need nearly as much ram, but at least 4 gigs is a good idea. If you are a programmer more cores are great for compiling quickly and running lots of programs at one time. Gaming does not really require nearly as many cores as many games don't support more than a few. Look for a higher ghz CPU for a gaming rig, and most importantly of all look for a case that allows easy upgrades and has good cooling.

15. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Hey, If you want to pick components but are afraid to build it yourself just check out IBuyPower.

16. VireBlaze

You CAN upgrade it? o-o Hmm... Well, I know in the past I haven't had the best experience with AMD, and it does seem like people generally go towards Intel, though I haven't really looked into the deeper differences of the two.

Well, I am a gamer, honestly. =P That's basically what I do on computers, but mah dad's not havin' much of it, as he feels like I need to get my life in order more-so. But it'd really only cost me two pay-checks, at the least, to get a computer like that. But thanks for the advice on the higher GHz CPU. Wasn't sure how much it really mattered. ^^

And hmm... nice. Thanks for the site share, Pummel. =3 Be sure to give it a thorough look.

17. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I would say Asus... since it has a better cpu than the other one... besides dude... u could save hundreds of dollars if u built it yourself trust me... I would do it if I had the cash :3 have fun buying it ^_^

18. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *techie flies in dramatically*

Four questions:

1) What specs are you looking for?
    2) What is your budget?
    3) What are the three main functions you'll be using the computer for?
    4) How long are you planning for this computer to serve as your primary computer?

19. James99

James99 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Get the first one because on windows 8 it has no start button and a really sh¡t interface, but on windows 8.1 it has a start button and a nice interface. But if that dosent bother you the pc's have the same spec's pretty much

20. MisterScruff

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would go with the Avatar, but I would scrap the Windows 8. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it might just be that I'm too used to Windows 7. In the matter of hardware, I'd say the Avatar all the way. Plus, it looks pretty rad! Unless you need Hyper-threading, which is what the i7 offers, you don't need to go any higher than the i5. Most applications don't support Hyper-threading, so why waste time on it? You can always upgrade later!

#20 MisterScruff, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014