1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Microphone buzzing

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AwesomGaytheist, Apr 18, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my mic that I just got two weeks ago now has this really loud buzz that drowns out any and all sound, including my voice. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I unplugged my laptop, and that didn't work. What should I do?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does your laptop charger have a ground plug? If it does, there is a good chance that the hum could be coming from the ground. You could always try getting an adapter that removes the ground and see if that fixes the problem.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it's got the third prong, but when I ran it off battery power I still has the same problem. This just started too.

4. Praetor

Assuming you've already checked for grounding (and applied any isolators where necessary), here's some things to consider.

- For whatever reason there is still a grounding problem somewhere within the connection to your mic. Ground loop isolators are really helpful and cheap for solving audio interference problems, but since this is from a USB device this may be more tricky to find... most isolators tend to be made for RCA or 3.5mm.
    - Your computer's mic options may have the mic boost recording volume on maximum, which for some microphones produces an audible noise in the microphone recording. Check your operating system's recording options to make sure all recording volumes are set properly.
    - Your laptop's motherboard could have problems interacting with this particular USB device. Its BIOS may not be able to appropriately handle this USB device, and therefore it is producing this sound. Updating your BIOS to the latest version may solve this problem (if it exists). If you decide to do this, follow all precautions before engaging with a BIOS update.
    - Since you are using a USB microphone, this means you are plugging a USB plug into your computer. If you are plugging your USB device into a front USB port, it is possible that it is picking up USB signals and reproducing them as audio signals. Although you are using a laptop, which makes this much less likely. Try different USB ports as well as USB hubs to see if this problem persists.
    - There could be a faulty driver. This seems highly unlikely given the nature of your predicament, however it's good to check anyways. Make sure your USB device driver is all up-to-date.
    - Your microphone could be malfunctioning. A wire or component within the microphone apparatus could simply be loose and this could be causing problems. Exchange the device.

And last but not least, use a search engine like Google to search your device's name to see if other people have encountered the same issue. There may already be a solution out there.