1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a Mac or PC Laptop?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Rakkaus, Apr 25, 2014.

?

Should I Buy a Mac or PC Laptop?

1. Mac

49.0%
  2. PC

51.0%
  1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Alright, so right now I'm using this big bulky expensive Alienware laptop that I got 3 years ago (M17x R3). It's red and looks cool and all, you can set your keyboard, mousepad, lit-up Alienware logo to different colors. (My keyboard right now is a rainbow, I set each section of the keyboard to different colors of the rainbow.)

I got it because I was into gaming much more back then, but I don't play many games these days, and those I do tend to be strategy games that are not graphics-intensive.

The graphics card (NVidia GTX 580M) is busted away, and stupid Dell won't replace it even though we paid a lot of money for the damn 4-year warranty. I even wasted money getting the 3D model with big bulky glasses for 3D, I have used 3D maybe once or twice and I'm not sure where the glasses even are at this point.

The most graphics-intensive stuff I do at this point is use Inkscape to create SVG election maps.

But the laptop is all loaded full of junk at this point.

Oh, I did I mention it's really big and bulky, very heavy, and not very easy to carry around?

Now even though I spend a lot of time on the computer, I am not by any means a computer nerd. I don't have much technical knowledge when it comes to computers.

I'm looking for new computer that's lightweight, easy to carry around, simple and clean.

I want a computer that I can take to work with me each day, and do my work on it. I also want to be able to take it into cafes in the city.

I mainly just use the computer for internet browsing, along with using Word and Excel for work assignments and other various tasks. So I want something simple and lightweight. And I would like it to be visually appealing and stylish, of course.

I really would like to get a Mac. The problems are A) they're expensive and B) there are limited customization options. Also, my current laptop has a 17-inch monitor. MacBook Air only comes in 13-inches, while MacBook Pro only goes up to 15 inches, so I would have to get used to a substantially smaller screen. I definitely could not do 13-inches, so the 15-inch MacBook Pro seems to be my only option.

It would be much cheaper to buy a Dell, and I would get 10% cashback from my Discover card. Since I'm only using it for basic tasks, I could save a lot of money by buying another Dell, even though I have had bad experiences with them. In fact I've had bad experiences with PCs in general, constant problems over the years.

And whenever I go into cafes in Manhattan, I notice pretty much everyone uses a Mac. It's trendy and fashionable. I want to be able to fit in with the trendy urban crowds. Plus Apple sells this gorgeous red Michael Kors bag for carrying the MacBook- quite an improvement over my big bulky Alienware backpack. Although the bag is quite expensive itself!

Is it worth the extra money to go with a Mac? I do get 5% cashback from Apple Store using my Discover card. Plus I have 0.00% APR on my Discover card until April 2015, so I could buy the whole laptop outright from Apple putting it on my Discover card without having to deal with Apple's financing options, and then pay it off over time as I save up money.

Or would I be wasting money?

Should I make the switch and make my first Mac purchase ever? (I do have iPods, an iPhone 5, and a first-generation iPad, but no Apple computers)

#1 Rakkaus, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been a Mac person all of my life, so I'm going to be bias - Just warning you. :wink:

For what you want in a computer, I would definitely recommend that you get a Macbook Pro. Yes, they're expensive. Yes, they're not quite as customizable as PCs, but they're durable as hell. They have outstanding support, outstanding software, and outstanding usability.
    Plus, you already have an iPhone, so your life'd be easier if you had a computer to go w/ that.

I've used Macs all of my life, and used PCs at school. I definitely prefer Macs.
    Last August I bought the 15" Macbook Pro w/ Retina Display - great computer for medium-gaming, school, and your social life.
    I just bought an iPhone 5s, so i'm enjoying having everything hooked up.

There are perks to both, but I'm a diehard Mac fan, and I definitely think you'd love one.

Also - I think they're coming out w/ a new Macbook Pro this year (you can probably check online). If they are, wait until that comes out. I heard a new one was coming out soon enough and it has some pretty cool new hardware.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ah thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have an iPhone 5. Though it's not like the iPhone works so perfectly that Apple technology must be wonderful, I've had loads of problems with it, it crashes on me often when I need it most. Whenever I go into Manhattan and need to rely on Google Maps to know where I am going, the phone just crashes and I get a flashing red no battery left image, even though the phone has 90% power. I also am having a problem with the camera, a black squiggly line is appearing on my photos, at least I thought it must just be lint or something on the lens, but after thoroughly cleaning the lens, using a wet Q-tip, a tissue, and a can of compressed air, it is still there, suggesting the line somehow is coming from inside the lens.

But ah, good to know about the new MacBook Pro. But if anything, that makes me afraid and eager to order the current MacBook now, because the Discover card 5% cashback excludes any new, recently introduced items.

Exactly what sort of improved hardware is the new MacBook Pro expected to have? Anything that would really be worth waiting for and potentially giving up my 5% cashback? Are there some cool new unique innovative features, or is it just going to have a faster processor or something?

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, given what you've said, I'd suggest some flavor of MacBook. Yes, they are more expensive. But build quality is better than a lot of PC laptops. There are good PC laptops, but guess what? They aren't a hell of a lot cheaper than Apple, and they bring all the "fun" of Windows headaches. (Unless you are willing to try something like Linux.) Made even more fun by Windows 8: the new Vista/ME. :lol:

As for the screen size issue: you might be able to get by with less than you have now. One former Low End Mac writer did adapt to a smaller screen when he went from PowerBook to MacBook.

Also worth considering: I believe all MacBooks support external displays. If you don't need a big screen on the road, you might even be able to get by with an 11" MacBook Air...

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm also biased in that I've used Macs through out my school years (worked in newspaper/yearbook as a graphics designer). I have had two macbook pros, the current one of which is will be 5 years old and still going strong. The only replacements have been the battery, the optical drive (likely just dust clogging it), and the power cable. I got the 3 year applecare, and it was well worth it. Definitely check out macrumors.com buyer's guide for ideas on when the next model will come out.

Also, try to see if you can buy your Macbook Pro from someone who has a university discount. The savings are quite good, especially back-to-school where there are additional deals.

Don't worry so much about the 15" size. 17" laptops are very heavy and awkward to be lugging around in cafes.

6. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

I love my Macbook Pro, not to mention it's extremely durable. I've probably dropped my Mac about 50 times and it still works.

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say get a smaller Windows laptop. :slight_smile:
    Could always try one of those Ultrabooks. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you really want to cut the bloatware, HP do a 14 inch Chromebook, but you'd probably want to do more on it than it can do.

8. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Not the most technologically-savvy person, so take this with a grain of salt. I own both a Dell PC laptop and a Macbook Pro. Bought the latter a year ago for school. I now use it exclusively, school assignments or otherwise. Dell has become an ungainly-looking paperweight. Conclude from that what you will.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PC. You can get Mac OS and install it on a PC. You can't really do the same on a mac without some special software and a willing to cut the amount of space of your hard drive in half.

Your problem with Alienware: It's a very fancy Dell. Not really that great.

You can go with Sony. You can go with Asus, or even HP or Toshiba. Those are all some great brands that offer some good PCs for a fairly low price.

But whatever you do, don't go with Dell. There is a reason Dell has been the laughingstock of computers, and it's their efficiency. Every other computer you can get for the same price as an Alienware (or even a good-priced Dell) is going to be much more efficient.

I personally have and use both, and there are a lot more advantages to having a PC. I personally carry around my macbook and treat my PC like a desktop (although it's a G74Sx Asus). I personally need all the screen I can get, considering what I do for my work. Still, I'd go with a PC because at the end of the day, the OS is always separated from the machine, where it's not so much on a Mac, unless you want to take some extreme risks.

10. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'm all for Mac. Always have been and I wouldn't dream of buying a PC. But at the end of the day it all depends what you want to use it for and personal preference. They're both pretty equal. Although I do prefer the user experience on a Mac.

11. kem

kem

Haha are you kidding, it's the exact opposite :grin: You can only get Mac OS on Mac hardware. You can, however, install Windows on a Mac really easily. Seriously, Mac OS's Bootcamp helps you through the entire process; you can choose how large a partition you want to give to Windows, it installs all the drivers you need for your it to work on the mac and it's really easy to switch betwen the two... You don't have to partition your hdd either, you can install windows only.

//

I'm biased. Go with a Mac.

12. Iowan1976

I vote for Mac. I know they are on the expensive side, but I have owned many mac computers going back 15 years or so. I have never had any mechanical problems with any of them. In fact, I have a mac laptop from the late 90's/early 2000s that would still works (though it just collects dust now.)

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 07:08 AM ----------

I run Parallels on my macbook pro. I can and do run both mac and windows together at the same time. It works with no problem on my machine.

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Although my Macbook is only a few years old (bought it refurbished), I've worked on Macs at my job for years. Never had a single problem with any of them.

By contrast, my brother has owned a number of PC's over the years. Supposedly only buys "higher-end". Yet, seems like every couple months he has to blow it away and reinstall everything. He's gone through I don't know how many motherboards.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can get the MacOS to run on generic PC systems. This is the so-called "Hackintosh." But, the last I heard, it can be difficult to get working properly, and there is a chance of something breaking during an OS update. While perhaps things have gotten better, I have to think that if one really wants the MacOS one might as well just get a real Mac unless there is a good reason to do otherwise. But then...I'm getting old and lazy. :lol:

And yes, it's easy to run multiple operating systems on a Mac. You can set things up to run natively, or you can run the other OS inside the MacOS (virtualization). Important, but obvious note: when you run another OS you have the problems of that OS. (Yes, I'm thinking of you Windows, and all your six billion virus problems. :lol:

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2014 at 10:13 AM ----------

Chromebooks are really interesting. But they do have limitations with what they can do. They aren't quite as bad as "no Internet you are SOL" as a certain OS maker in my state would like to claim. But they don't have the full power of a Mac, either, and some feel uncomfortable with Google products.

But they have some real strengths. Reasonably cheap. No Windows to deal with. And the ones I've seen are really amazingly nice computers even though they are cheap. If I were buying a new laptop they'd be a strong contender just as long as I also could keep/have something to fill in the various gaps. (And for that, my current desktop computer would be enough. I don't, for example, need page layout software when I'm at Starbucks.)

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing with Bootcamp, is that in order to get it working well with as few issues as possible, is that you have to let it take up at least a decent size of the hard drive. And you have to restart the computer EVERY time you want to switch from one to the other (or at least to go to Windows). And then, everything's extremely tiny and barely noticeable. And yes, you do have to partition the hard drive. That's part of the whole process of installing Windows on it in the first place.

And with things like Parallels, that's true, but from what I remember, it was quite expensive. And Rakkaus is definitely looking at price tags.

#15 Jinkies, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Parallels isn't the only choice. VirtualBox should do the same thing, and its free.

But one question worth asking before even worrying about Windows is: do I really need to run it?

17. CarUnderwater

I am a Windows whore. i love android and I love my PC.

I got a Macbook air for my birthday and can't stop complaining about how un-user friendly it is.

but... it is reliable. there is virtually no lag, theres no hiccups, theres no issues, no malware or problems with boot time or all the other issues you run into with PC. It doesn't heat up and cook your lap either.

but it's not user friendly and it's annoying to find program conversions to use on a Mac.

18. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My current computer is a 2010 Macbook Pro. I gotta say I love it (it's my first mac). I have a windows 7 ultrabook at work (it's probably 200-300 cheaper than the cheapest mac). It's runs just as well my personal Mac. Macs are really good machines I just don't think there worth the extra cost. I'm not really not a Apple fan anymore, so I probably will get a tablet/chromebook next since I have my work computer to do all my boring work tasks. You could get a windows pc around 800 that would more than suit your needs and pocket the savings.

I am also android/google fan now.... I traded in my iPhone for the Galaxy Note...

I don't think Chromebooks would suit you, but if do go that route, I would wait, Samsung is releasing new ones that have higher end specs next month.

#18 Cap’nSerious, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  19. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yes, I'm quite aware of the fact that 17" laptops are very heavy and awkward to be lugging around in cafes. Especially the big bulky Alienware one I have. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's not just the screen size, the base of my laptop is very thick and bulky too. I really wish I could just get a 17-inch laptop that was just thinner and lighter.

It's quite a pain in the ass to travel with them in airports too, since stupid idiot TSA "security" makes you take your laptops out and put them in a bin before they send you through the naked-body cancer scanners that I opt out of, and I'm always worried my laptop will be stolen while I'm being molested by the TSA.

But when it comes to screen size, I always think bigger is better. I had to adjust when I switched from my 19-inch desktop computer monitor to the 17-inch laptop monitor. I also had to adjust when I switched from my 4.3-inch Motorola Droid X phone to the 4-inch iPhone 5. So I suppose I will have to adjust again.

(And I had problems with both Android phones and Apple phones, and I am somewhat fearful that I will have problems with an Apple computer just like I have had with PCs)

The only issue is that I do a lot of SVG mapmaking for Wikipedia, and it's hard to view full maps on a small screen.

Unfortunately I'm not in college any more, so not getting any university discount. My sister is in college (the same college I went to), but I don't know about the logistics of her buying a laptop for me and paying her, she doesn't even have a credit card.

At least I get 5% cashback from the Apple Store with Discover card, which is essentially a 5% discount, which could mean a fair amount of money considering how incredibly expensive MacBooks are. (Though Dell has a Mother's Day promotion right now where they are offering 10% cashback, and their laptops would be much cheaper to begin with.)

20. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't want to encourage any abuse of the system, :wink: but this is how it works:
    • You click the education bit on Apple.com
    • Select your school
    • Enter your (sister's) school email address
    • You gets an email with your bill to that address
    • You can pay with credit card

It's not necessary to pay her. :thumbsup: