1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really nerdy pokemon battle talk :P

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sully, May 2, 2014.

1. Sully

I'm not really a gamer at all, I do how ever go through phases of playing pokemon (it's pretty much the best game ever...)

This time I've been playing emerald. Anyway I just battles gym leader Norman. In the past I've always struggled to KO his level 31 Slaking. This time however, I went in with a level 33. Vigoroth, it went a little like this.

V - vigoroth
    S - slaking

V- used strength
    S - counter
    V - slack off (regain health)
    S- loafing around
    V- strength
    S - yawn (doesn't affect vigoroth because of its ability)
    V -strength

And the battle was pretty much over!!!! I guess the reason I'm sharing this is because for as long as I've played pokemon, I've always just used a team of sweepers to annihilate everyone, now I realise you can be pretty strategic in battle!

Still don't understand IV/EV's though, they're way to complicated!

2. Aquilo

Only know generation III games..

IV = value ranging from 0-31. A pokemon is born/caught with a certain randomly choosen value of this. If the IV for a certain stat is 31 it means that if the pokemon is lvl 100 that, that amount gets added to the stat. If it's lvl 50 it means that half of that IV is added to that stat.

EV = added value on a stat you gain from battling pokemon. For each pokemon you defeat with your battling pokemon, you get 1-3 EV's for a certain stat.

Like IV you only get the full amount when the pokemon is lvl 100. The maximal amount of total EV's a pokemon can have is 510, the maximal amount of EV's a certain stat can have is 255. The amount of EV's you get for your fighting pokemon depends on the species of pokemon (see here).

There's one final calculation for EV's, you have to divide them by 4 to get the final added amount to your stat (when the pokemon has reached lvl 100).

Example: Kill 255 bulbasaurs (who give 1 EV for sp. attack) and 255 charmanders (who give 1 EV for speed) and your pokemon will have +63 sp. attack and +63 speed when it has reached lvl 100, compared with a same pokemon who hasn't battled, but has grown to lvl 100.

3. Harve

If the opponent has Counter, you should use Slack Off on its attacking turns and a damaging move on its loafing around turns. :wink: I pretty much always play the Nuzlocke version, where a fainted Pokémon is dead forever, so I have to think!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O.O That's a thing? Yikes. I would catch so many fodder 'mons if that were the case, and only pull out my unique ones if there were no chance of losing.

5. Colours

"Pretty much the best game ever." I pretty much agree.

I'm also not a gamer at all and go through phases of playing pokemon. And then I mean pretty much all the time, lol. It always lasts a couple of months and then I get bored and not play for a few months, until I randomly start feeling it again.

Currently in a phase of not playing pokemon. I wonder when I will start playing again.

6. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gen 3 had strategy? I thought they didn't get really in depth with strategy until gen 4! XD You're better off learning about IV's and EV's in any gen after gen 3, because they just get more simple to understand with each passing generation.

7. BelleFromHell

^^ THIS.

They're especially simple in gen. VI.
    *cough* Breeding *cough* Super Training...

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really want to play pokemon now :frowning2:

9. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Forget super training! Waaaay too time consuming... The hoard encounter EV method is so much more efficient and much less time consuming than super training.

10. homoblomo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i love pokemon, and I go thru phases of it as well, like rite now I am replaying pokemon x w/ a new team, but all of that iv/ev talk, it confuses me, I just play pokemon for the fun of it.

11. BucKeTz

tsk tsk. In Nuzlocke, you can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in an area. so if you plan on catching mewtwo, you need to bring a whole lot of repels.

Anyways, I actually battled professionally for a while....I was nerdy, but hey it was fun. So if you have any questions, I may be able to help. I know stuff about IVs, EVs, breeding, egg moves, and a lot of other handy tips.

12. Harve

Yep, so you're forced to use Pokémon that you wouldn't normally use. The worst was when I played it on Blaze Black 2, and restricted to healing only once per town/route. It's possible - barely! I think I reached the 6th badge before I wiped out. I just find the game's no fun if there's no challenge.

13. Tim

Tim

Just for the record, his Slaking is really easy if you have a pokemon with protect or detect. xD Just use it when he's attacking, and attack on his loafing turn. :wink:

Think when I played gen 3, I just used a meditite that had detect from leveling up.

14. Aquilo

What's a good replacement for Butterfree (bringing a pokemon to sleep fast and reliably in the first turn, so it can be caught easily) in Emerald? Only have 3 badges yet, so I can't use late-game pokemon.

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do I feel so out of place in this thread?

16. BelleFromHell

I don't blame ya. I spent hours and HOURS super training 30+ Pokemon, only to find out that 95% of them didn't get the right EVs. Not to mention, I have a friend who wips my ass in battle and I promised him I'd EV train my team! *sob*

17. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's why I think super training is only good for everything before the metagame. In the metagame it just takes up time! I would be happy to explain the hoard method if you don't already know it, but alas, I am not very good at explaining things. You're better off looking up a tutorial of the hoard encounter method on google or youtube, then you can make unstopable Pokemon so much faster!

18. BelleFromHell

I understand. I'm not good at explaining stuff either. :lol:
    I'll look it up. Thanks! :icon_bigg

19. Oxelotl

I'm aware that there is a such thing as strategy, I just choose to ignore it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Although those moments where I have a moment of strategic brilliance I do love (and I definitely recall having some in Emerald, incidentally my first game.) Still can't understand EV's or IV's either (I'm too impatient to do so).