1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for Small Carry Weapon?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pret Allez, May 3, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm deciding it's time to get over of my fear of guns, practice shooting, and understand their safe and prudent operation. You'll have to keep in mind that I know very little about guns other than a few days of research.

The use cases are personal protection and target shooting.

So far, I have been looking into .357 magnum revolvers with internal hammers based on my desires for reliability and safeguard against accidental discharge during presentation. One model I'm wondering about in particular is the Smith and Wesson M&P340.

But I wonder if the other arms users on EC have different thoughts...

#1 Pret Allez, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Because their purpose in damaging or ending life is the epitome of safety and prudence?

3. the uk wouldnt allow any weapon to be carried. assuming you mean carry as in on you in the street... so different to the uk. swiss army knives are banned aswell so ive been told.

not any input but to me america is so... strange! just baffles me that anyone can buy a gun lol.

4. Jethro702

Me too.... as for info on guns, I know very little.... My fathers owns 13-15 guns, but I don't go near them.

5. Kat 5

Felons and psychopaths can't buy guns.

---------- Post added 3rd May 2014 at 08:02 PM ----------

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. My mom has one of those.

6. Jethro702

Sadly, It is all too easy for them to "obtain" one though.

Georgia Legislators Think Felons Should Be Able To Shoot You - The Daily Beast

---------- Post added 3rd May 2014 at 11:07 PM ----------

Sorry, Im off topic lol

7. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally like 9mm or .38 caliber handguns. I prefer semi-automatic over revolvers though because they're quicker to fire and I don't have to mess with the hammer. Ruger has some good models, as does Smith & Wesson. Those are the two I would recommend looking at.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If this topic is going to be mistreated by more than half the posters, I'll just ask a moderator to close it. Please stay on topic. I'm not asking for your opinions on gun control laws, self defense laws, or for your input on whether or not people should have guns. If you want to tell me that I'm crazy, go do it on my wall, not here.

I am legally entitled to purchase and own a firearm, and I am probably going to do so, sometime in the next couple of months.

9. starfish

I haven't looked at carry guns, as I don't have an interest in carrying. However I have been thinking of buying a handgun for target shooting, and home protection.

I've heard good things about the Springfield Armory XD series. My cousin has one and really likes it. The price is pretty good also. I have several coworkers who carry, I'll try to remember to ask them on Monday what they carry. They've told me, but it escapes me at the moment.

My self I want to get a Colt 1911, my Dad has one I enjoy shooting it. Though it is not a good choice for a carry gun.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're new to guns, a revolver is a good choice. Personally I prefer external hammer for single-action shooting because it's easier to be accurate that way (no overly long trigger pull) but your reasoning is sound. They can be inexpensive and are easy to use/maintain.

The only con I can think of is that .357 rounds are expensive X.X and if recoil may be an issue, look for one with a muzzle brake on the end.

IMG: note the holes near the muzzle to redirect gas flow upwards

Not that I've carried one, but I can disagree with some certainty. People love to carry all versions of 1911s because they have two layers of safety (three if hammer down), are usually slim if single-stack mags, and .45s are plenty of firepower when it's needed. I've heard Kimber pistols have some rust issues, but other than that they are known as being great for CCW.

Kimber America | Super Carry .45 ACP Pistols

#10 Argentwing, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife
    It's legal to carry a SAK in the UK. It's been my EDC for years. It's illegal to threaten people with it, or, god forbid, stab them.

--

I've never used a handgun, thanks to my country's laws. I've been a member of a survivalist forum for years. I know a bit in theory, but I'm not even gonna pretend I know enough that would defend you. I'm surprised you don't get to try out some guns at shooting events.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right, and thank you for the resources. I also read someone saying that .357 Magnums have a hell of a kick, especially on the airweights, and the user stating this said he hated shooting the H&P 340. I might look into .38 Specials instead, like the Model 642. It is also considerably cheaper than the 340, although I will have to look at why before I simply decide for no informed reason whatsoever as to why to prefer it.

13. starfish

It is not recommended to carry a 1911 with the hammer down and a round the chamber.

It is a good gun, but it is a bit on the big side. I'm 6'4" and built like a line backer, so I could conceal one easily, but a smaller person it could be a bit much to carry. Though you can't beat the stopping power of a 45.

14. 741852963

If you are living in the US could you not just use non-lethal protection (which I presume would be legal if guns are) i.e. mace/pepper spray, tasers, kubotan etc if you feel that at risk? Obviously the first step should be self-defense lessons though really.

Without wanting to go into the gun-legalisation debate (I appreciate you say you don't want to hear it), it is important to know there really isn't a non-lethal place on the body to shoot and so you would have to be prepared for the consequences of using the weapon.

15. Jethro702

Sorry, I do apologize for my spurt of off topic-ness there. I, in no way meant to question your intents to purchase a weapon, That is your right... Again my apologies.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could carry a non-lethal weapon, but I refuse to do so. I can't defend myself or anyone else at range with any of the weapons you described.

Right, and there's nowhere non-lethal I can stab someone with my 5" dagger, either. However, I still open carry it when I'm running. The only consequence of relevance to me is that the use of any weapon results in me sitting in a courtroom having to make an affirmative defense, potentially without any witnesses on my side.

-----------------------------

Anyway, as to the rest of it, I'm hoping for a gun small enough to concealed carry. Although state law allows me to carry a firearm openly, Helena city ordinance prohibits me from carrying a firearm at all unless I have a concealed carry permit. If I'm going to have to get the CCP to carry period, I might as well get a real concealed carry arm. I went to a local gun store today and found that the 1911 looks a bit big. I like the look of the Ruger SP101, though. It looks smaller.

17. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that a .357 is a bit much for personal protection. The recoil will make follow up shots with accuracy and speed difficult. Not to mention over penetration.

I am biased by my 15 years of Glock ownership and would recommend one without hesitation for a carry piece. They are very simple to maintain and operate, very reliable, and replacement parts are readily available (if you can actually afford enough ammo to wear it out). There are different frame sizes to chose from and a wide variety of calibers as well.

I prefer semi autos to revolvers simply due to the capacity. For example in the sub compact 9mm Glock 26, the stock magazine holds 10 rounds. You can also carry an extra magazine that holds 10, 12, 15, 17 or 33 rounds if you like. Or at the other end of the size spectrum you can look at the .45 AUTO Glock 21. 13 rounds (plus one in the chamber) of +p ammo is never a bad thing although this is probably way to big to recommend as a CCW.

My favorite carry piece has to be my FiveseveN. It's very light weight, has a 20 (+1) magazine capacity, is extremely easy to shoot well and is just darned reliable. The only downside is the full size frame isn't all that easy to conceal in summer clothes.

And to anyone that thinks I don't like 1911's, I really do, they are more of a day at the range just admire the craftsmanship piece in my oh so humble opinion. I want something that will work no matter what if I need it to.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect carry gun, just make sure it's one you can shoot well.

#17 Ruprect, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  18. Aquilo

I'm curious. How does defending yourselves with a gun actually work? Are you supposed to kill the person threatening you, before (s)he can shoot you, or do you have to aim on the arms/hands/legs? Or is the point that people see that you are armed and won't threaten you (but then why carry concealed guns?)

If killing the threat is the goal, bigger bullets would probably help if you think you can aim the first shots well? But on the other hand, if you can't aim well I suppose more lighter bullets (so a bigger capacity) would work best, if you wish to keep the same mass and size of weapon?

19. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US and in the states that allow concealed carry, you have a right to defend yourself against attack with deadly force if necessary. Even in a state that prohibits carrying of weapons, if someone attacks you, you may use any force to stop the attack (e.g., my state prohibits weapons but if someone attacks me, I can grab any object near me and/ or use physical force to stop the attack even if doing so is lethal to my attacker). Nearly everywhere on Earth has some form of castle law in which you may use deadly force against an intruder in your home.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have articulable reason to believe your life is in danger (that is, can convince a jury that your shooting was justified) then you shoot to stop the threat. If they are incapacitated but survive, alright, then they get arrested. If they die, that sucks, but they made the decision to offend somebody else's rights.

As above, killing is not the goal, but there is something generically called "stopping power" different kinds of bullets have. A .45ACP (a fairly big bullet) is a popular concealed carry choice because it has high mass and low velocity, perfect for imparting a lot of energy into a person and not piercing through the other side. You usually get fewer of them in the same-size gun as with 9mm or other smaller rounds, but if you're in that protracted of a gunfight, things have gone sooo far south. :S I prefer 9s mostly because they're cheaper and easy to shoot hehe.