1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory for games on PC

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Darcher9696, May 3, 2014.

1. Darcher9696

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I talked to a tech guy in 2011 about how much ram do I need for gaming and they said 4GB is enough for computers. If you have 8GB or more it's for video or photo editing. I did last week get a new notebook and it has 4GB ram and since that tech guy said I only need 4GB I assume that is more than enough to play games and do normal stuff right? Meaning 8GB or more will be useless for people who play games a lot.

2. Ridiculous

The more you have the better. Up until recently (the last few years) most games were designed specifically to not use more than ~4gb of memory, for certain technical reasons -that is not the case so much any more and that soft limit no longer holds.

More memory also allows room for the operating system and other things that may be running in the background while you are playing.

Video memory (and processing power) is just as important for games though and you really can't have enough of that.

3. Darcher9696

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So games today will use more than 4GB? I remember tech guy said games will only use like 2GB or around there and nothing will ever use more than 4GB. So he was saying 8GB or more is a overkill in a way. Unless I do photo editing and video stuff. Also I heard that having a lot of ram wont really make the games run smoother. I just remember talking on a computer forums when I got my other older computer and they said 4GB is enough and 8GB or more was for heavy stuff.

4. Sarcastic Luck

More ram is better. It will make the games run smoother if you have the processor and video card to back it up.

5. Ridiculous

Many games (and other programs) pre-2010 were set to not even utilise more than 4gb of memory, even if you had it. Most were designed to work within this limitation. Some games would actually crash due to this because they 'ran out' of memory because they were artificially limited to <4gb.

Those released in the last few years and into the future are unlikely to have this limitation.

More ram will allow everything to run smoother though, because it ensures there is space for the game, plus your operating system, plus anything else you happen to be running.

Also RAM is relatively cheap now so just go for 8gb and futureproof yourself.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More system memory (RAM) is way less important to have than a good graphics card. The graphics card needs to have at least 1.5 GB of RAM, preferably 2 GB, and it also needs to be pretty fast. You can find really great cards at the $200 range.

I would only be concerned about increasing your system memory if you had less than 4GB.

In general, the upgrade priority for computer parts should always be GPU, then processor, then system memory. If you can afford RAM in addition to the more critical parts, certainly feel free to go up to 8 GB if you are running a 64-bit operating system. (If you're still running 32-bit, I will have a sad.)

#6 Pret Allez, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  7. Darcher9696

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I currently have 12GB of ram and I thought I overkill the amount I needed since I thought most games only use around 2GB. But it seems like you guys are saying that games today can use more than 4GB right? I can go up to 16GB on my Toshiba notebook though. Since I' am in a budget I was only able to afford a system that has a AMD E1-2100 with originally 4GB ram and with 500GB hard drive and a AMD Radeon HD 8210 and with Windows 8.1. But I upgraded the ram to 12GB so that should help a lot. Maybe if I had 16GB it would even help better. I got my notebook on sale for $280 normally at OfficeMax they were selling it for $380 so it was a good deal.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, we're saying that it's possible for games and the operating system to use more than 4GB. What I was trying to say was not that more than 8GB is overkill, but rather that having a fast video card is much more likely to determine whether you can play games on your computer.

9. Darcher9696

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow so today 8GB isn't an overkill anymore? People use to say it was back in 2011. They said unless you do photoshop and stuff you don't need like 8GB or more. So most people have 8GB as a standard today? No more 4GB be enough anymore? Or was it like this even back in around 2010 or 2011 that you could use more than 4GB when playing a game and running Windows itself?

10. Sarcastic Luck

Mine has 12, and the computer I bought back in 2009 came with 6.

11. Darcher9696

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also another question I wanted to know is what programs will benefit having a lot of rams? I heard about Photoshop but how can that program really use a lot of ram if you are just editing pics? I just wanted to know what does more ram benefit on programs and what are heavy ram hoggers.

12. Darcher9696

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I basically talked to my moms boyfriend and he said that he didn't know how could Photoshop use soo much ram. He said maybe video editing might use but not just changing pics.