1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn-based RPGs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Trentacles, May 6, 2014.

1. Trentacles

Can anyone recommend a good turn-based RPG?

I just finished playing Child of Light on Playstation and really enjoyed it and now I'm looking for something similar but most things I've found are weird Japanese games.

2. Tim

Tim

Most Turn-Based don't really get localized anymore, which is a shame. :frowning2:

The last one I found was Arc Rise Fantasia for the Wii. It's actually really great story wise, though the voice acting can be a bit grating.

3. White Knight

Turn based games I've enjoyed are Heroes of Might & Magic series and Temple of Elemental Evil which still has new content provided by Circle of the Eight group.

4. littlelostkitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, I'm new here *this would be my first post ever here yay! hehe*

If you're wanting playstation 1 turn based rpgs, some I've enjoyed in the past were:

Legends of the Dragoon- four discs long, and a very touching story that spanned two generations.

Chrono Cross- another multi disc game thats pretty good. sadly i never finished it.

of course there's the final fantasy games. Though i've only played bits a pieces.

And lastly the only one I can recommend thats ps1 days, and actually kinda fun, is Wild Arms.

ps2 ish era, i didn't play much that's when I went to work so only rpg i played was final fantasy X.

ps3/360. the only one i played that I enjoyed was one called Enchanted Arms. (its made for both so either way you prefer). Its about a goddess taking over and pitting friends against each other. and to boot there's actually a gay main character, though sadly he's kinda annoying early on. But it plays like a pokemon type rpg. You can have three to four characters in battle, on a grid, so choosing your creatures or golems in this game and your characters is a big thing. but it was quite fun!

That's about all i can contribute to this rpg talk, sadly. Sorry if this wasn't helpful! But i didn't play much rpgs...i keep getting lost. and grinding for levels is a pain in the booty!

5. Drenee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For PS1 Legend of Dragoon and the Final Fantasy series is good.
    SNES Earthbound, Super Mario RPG Final Fantasy III
    GBA= Mother 3 or Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
    DS= Nostalgia, M&L: Partner is Time & M&L Bowser Inside Story
    Wii= Arc Rise Fantasia (hands down) or Opoona
    XBox 360 Blue Dragoon

Try some of the Shin Megami Tensei series that spans over many consoles.

6. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I have to recommend the "weird" Japanese ones. I find they're the best of the genre and have more engaging stories a lot of the time. Final Fantasy is the biggest name in turn-based RPGs, but there are a ton out there to try. Do some digging and I'm sure you'll find something that tickles you.

7. Trentacles

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I only have ps3/ps4.

8. Drenee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Man thats tough, there arent to many tun based RPG on those. Like you i love tradition TB-RPG & JRPG must pretty much all RPG nowadays use ATB's or an Active/Interactive Battle System. Have you even though of using an emulator on your computer

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Definitely any final fantasy. Idk if you're into that but my favorite is FFX.

10. Tetra

Yeah, I hate turn-based games, but pretty much all FF games are, aren't they? I've only played one or two...

11. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Depends on what games in the FF series you're talking about. FFI to FFIII are turned-based, then FFIV and beyond have mainly been ATB.

Anyway, TC if you aren't just looking for TB RPGs then I suggest you try out the Grandia series.

12. Emberblaze

I'm gonna recommend you a wide range, for turn based rpg's ARE my specialty :eusa_danc

If you're a fan of nintendo, I'd recommend Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga for gameboy advance (it also has 3 'sequels' after it, but this one's the best). There's also Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door for gamecube and Super Mario RPG for Super Nintendo, all BRILLIANT games.

Then of course, there's the Final Fantasy series, but not ALL of them are 100% turnbased. Some of them are active time battles, meaning every character has a time bar and when it fills up, they can act. The FF game that's a TRUE turnbased that I'd recommend is FF10. But if you wanna look into the ATB styled battles, I'd recommend 6, 7, and 9 for sure.

Persona 3 can be bought on the playstation store and it's a GREAT game! The only thing different about it from other turnbased games is that you only control the main protagonist, and all of the other characters do their own thing, but the Ai for them tends to be pretty smart, so it's not an issue.

OOOO, and I almost left out one of the best turnbased RPG's that everr came to Gameboy! Golden Sun and it's direct sequel, Golden Sun the Lost Age (and that also has a sequel on DS, but it's not as good as its predecessors). This is a really great game and i'd totally recommend it!

Heheh hope that answered your question pretty well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I also really love this game as well! Everyone complains about the voice acting, but I liked it despite how bad it is XD One thing about it is, the difficult iiiiis HIGH. I had my entire party eliminated in the first turn of a boss battle by some petrifying breath.... :dry: They told me it was coming, but I didn't listen.

13. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can get Breath of Fire 4 from PSN. It was a late era PS1 JRPG. It's amazing, one of my all time favorites. You don't have to have played the others to understand it since it's a prequel.

15. Trentacles

LOL so many abbreviations. :eusa_clap

16. Camerooon

Ooooh, Child of Light is brilliant. I still need to finish it, but I'm loving it so far.

Hm, the only other turn-based games that I've enjoyed are XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Clash of Heroes is awesome IMO - I'd check that out!

17. Don

Don Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I need to

18. Depsailor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh wow! To echo some sentiments, Persona 3 AND 4 were both just...stellar. Stop reading my post and go buy them and don't come back until you beat them. Though I prefer P4 were I can control all my party members! You said you only have a ps3 and 4, but do you have any older systems or handhelds?

To echo another statement, the Paper Mario series is well done (never played the last game...on the Wii I think? There are times the battles become boring but the ability to jump around and manipulate the environment to uncover secret stuff is just...fun as heck! Did anyone ever beat the secret dungeon thing in Thousand Year Door?

If you have a computer built even within the last decade, I HIGHLY suggest you play the Avernum series of games from Spiderweb Software! I grew up on the original Exile series and the Avernum retains the old school turn based charm with more modern (though perhaps still old to you youngsters) charm. Even Mr. Vogel's Geneforge series is well worth a look, though all these games are, again older then dirt to most!

Also...for what it's worth...Legend of Dragoon is such a great game I swore never to beat it until my last days on Earth. That way the magic never ends! Just...go find/buy/play it. You'll thank me later.

19. Trentacles

Nope. PS3 is the oldest one i have. I have a 3DS though.

20. chi29

*1st post*
    I have a 3ds and I really love fire emblem awakening
    And if you have any other consoles that have different fire emblem games I would highly recommend them ^_^