1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using javascript to make games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AngelAceRainbow, May 15, 2014.

1. AngelAceRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone. I am in a college course that I hate, having to do with learning JS and our big assignment is to make a game/project that uses a tween, procedural animation a background sound, and another sound which is on click or similar. I am totally stuck! I hate coding with a passion, totally not my thing, but I have to get through this class! Any pointers? I am so confused. Thanks! (P.S. I love games, I just don't love creating them.):tantrum:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to say I know jack about JS, but the only times I've dealt with the actual creation of graphics is in separate software tools (Flash for 2D and Maya + 3DS Max for 3D). Do you have to create the instructions for the tween animation all by yourself? o.0

I know I'm of limited help but there are tons of Javascript tutorials online that are readily found.

#2 Argentwing, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. Ridiculous

Are you sure it is Javascript or Java you are talking about? They are very different things (and Javascript is very unsuitable for making games).

4. AngelAceRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Argentwing yep. We have to come up with it all ourselves. Why they allowed students in the class who know nothing about code is beyond me... but I was roped in to taking the class cause it fulfills a requirement for my degree and it was going to be "fun." But yeah, I am so lost. And we are 7 weeks into the course. @Ridiculous, yeah, the class is about javascript. create js, easel js, etc.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took a brief intro to Java (not JS) and saw how it could be used to create GUIs for games, but figuring out how to make something move if you know nothing about code is asking you to build an airplane while knowing nothing about physics. Basically, a fool's errand, and as a matter of fact, you could probably figure out the plane.

But rather than call it impossible and give up, try something like this:
    Javascript Animation: Tutorial, Part 1 - Schillmania.com

I only gave it a brief glance to see if it was what you're talking about, but it might be able to help you. Be sure to check out part 3 (link near the top of the page) because it specifically mentions tweening.

#5 Argentwing, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  6. Emulator

Javascript isn't a good language to make games in. I did a trial run for a game in js and that was the worst move.

Anyway, you should search online. There are some simple source codes out there that you can download for free. "javascript game source code" gives some good returns, last time I checked.

7. AngelAceRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks everyone! :slight_smile: