1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to start getting into video games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mickeytheles, May 17, 2014.

1. mickeytheles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey I just want some suggestions of video games that I could maybe play. Don't really mind what genre. Nothing too hard or confusing would be appreciated please. :help:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ONE OF US. ONE OF US. Lol glad you're taking interest in a hobby that can last the rest of your life. I know you didn't really give specifics, but if I may ask, how good is your computer? If you don't answer "dinosaur" then I strongly recommend a web service called Steam.

Welcome to Steam

Through their program, you can get all manner of PC and Mac games-- AAA "summer blockbuster" titles, really old favorites, obscure indie games, and everything in between. Most of them are cheaper than store prices (with occasional freebies :eek:slight_smile:, and you don't have to worry about losing disks because your game collection is stored in the cloud, so you can delete/reinstall at your leisure.

Beyond that is all a matter of money and taste. :wink:

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, I'll try and break down some of my favourites.

Good for singleplayer:

Mass Effect Trilogy - great campaigns (for the most part), friendly to lots of different playstyles, lots of characterisation and customisation. Plus an interesting backstory.

Grid 2 - good racing game, pretty realistic.

inFamous series - open-world superpowered badassery with pretty decent campaigns.

The Walking Dead - excellent campaign... it's more of a narrative with choices than a campaign, but those choices are fascinating and the story itself is quite gripping at times.

Good for multiplayer:

Bad Company 2 - a slightly more tactical FPS with large maps and lots of vehicles, and the destructible terrain can be very fun.

Battlefield 4 - same as above, only larger maps, more vehicles and much newer than BC2 (so you'll have an easier time finding full servers online).

Pretty good for either:

CoD 4 - FPS, the campaign's pretty good and the online's ok too- good for quick 10-15 min fixes.

Halo series (mostly Halo 3) - Again, interesting backstory, and it has a fun multiplayer, though one which took me some getting used to :lol:

Those are some games I've had fun with, though there's hundreds more great games that could be mentioned. Depends what your tastes are and what you're looking for, there's a world of games out there. Just dabble in whatever and you'll find what you like. Have fun :slight_smile:

4. Tetra

I had a really nice introduction to gaming back when I was just a little kid - Pokemon!
    I'd say start with X or Y if you're looking for handheld games.
    If not, Why not start with a variety. Maybe pick up Halo 4, Final Fantasy, aaaaand GTA V? See which of those you like, then start tailoring?
    If you're into more family-friendly games, you should pick up a Legend of Zelda game. They're fantastic, you can't go wrong. Also try some Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart!

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I recommend any 'nintendo' game: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and the like.

I'm a RPG fan. If you're into japanese roleplaying games, check out of Tales of series. If you're into western types, try Dragon Age: Origins.

If you're into casual simulation where the gameplay never ends, the Sims 3 is a good PC game for that.

6. KrnlKrazy

KrnlKrazy Guest

Mario... Play mario.

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you played video games before? When? for how long? Which ones?
    Which system are you looking to play on (PC, PS2, Xbox360 ETC)?
    Why do you want do start playing?

8. Daximus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just bought Deus Ex Human Evolution for five bucks off Steam. Gonna give it a go tomorrow. Other games like Crysis 3, FarCry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Alan Wake, the Batman Arkham series, and Titanfall are all awesome for PC.

I'm really looking forward to GTA V and The Crew.

9. Katbot

Everyone else is giving solid advice on what games to buy but I'm just going to say this: Buy second hand all the time!!

Unless your buying a new release remember that second hand games are perfect. I forgot that when I first got into gaming and blew a lot of money on games that i could have gotten much cheaper.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Your experience with video games would be an asset here, but I will assume you have little to no real experience. Just for the sake of simplicity, of course.

As others have suggested, any Mario title is a good start. If possible, I would look into getting a NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) with either Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros. 3. These two games are great for becoming accustomed to video games, and are still pretty fun today, especially Super Mario Bros. 3. The NES also has such games like Tetris and The Legend of Zelda. While the latter isn't easy, it's definitely worth a play through, if you ever intend to expand into other gaming realms, namely RPGs.

If you can find or obtain a SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System), I would go with games like Super Mario World (think Super Mario Bros. 3, but with enhancements) and Donkey Kong Country 1-3. These are great platform games, and they will teach you about using the various controls, without becoming hair-pulling frustrating. The SNES also has gems like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, both great games, and a secondary step into heavier RPGs. Chrono Trigger, one of my all-time favorite games, is also on the SNES and is a fantastic first serious RPG introduction (I consider Super Mario RPG as the best introduction-to-RPGs, due to it's simple but fun presentation).

With the SEGA Genesis (or Mega-Drive, as it tends to be called in other areas of the world), you can't go wrong with the Sonic the Hedgehog games. It's Mario, but at a faster-moving pace.

I won't even make any suggestions on the Nintendo 64, because almost all of those games are incredible. You'd be hard pressed to find a bad one.

Those are good for jumping into the game (see what I did there?) of gaming. If you want to branch out, you should by this point know what you do and don't like in a game.

11. DeliriousMess

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm really only into MMORPG/Sandbox games so I'd recommend Saints Row 3 (Not 4 because it sucked), The GTA series (best being Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City, and the newest one), Sleeping Dogs.

For MMORPGs, the obvious one I'd say is World of Warcraft but it's kind've been losing it's interesting factors in the past years, but I still think it's a great MMORPG. LOTRO is pretty good as well. Right now I'm playing TERA which is Free-To-Play.

Also, No lie the first game I've ever played was GTA: San Andreas which was when I was in like 3rd grade. Don't judge me :icon_sad:.

#11 DeliriousMess, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  12. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    BioShock games. They're cheap, interesting and the storylines are amazing!!

13. garudamon11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you want someone to play with, we could both play Minecraft. I don't suppose I need to introduce it :slight_smile:

14. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My two cents. Skate 3 is always fun, gta 5. Watchdogs is coming out on the 27th it looks unreal. And if you like racing or cars there is no better game in the world than forza Motorsport 4. I still play it to this day. Endless amounts of customization, and by far the most realistic racing game there is.

15. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    FIVE QUID? I spent like 50 on it! :bang:
    But yeah Assassin's Creed, specifically AC2 and 4. They are the best.

16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Got the director's cut for £3.75

All the hail the mighty Gaben and his Steam sales.

17. Niko

The Assassin's Creed series are wonderful (especially AC2 and AC4). Dishonored is a great game, one of my favorites. I really enjoyed Thief (4) as well. And if you have, or willing to get a PS4, get inFamous: Second Son. :thumbsup:

18. JessicaWolfess

for the great pc god gayben as he blesses us with high resolution free multiplayer and amazing sales. Amen brother

19. Derivative

Derivative Guest

League of Legends is a good game. It's free and doesn't require an overly powerful machine to be playable, and you can start off playing vs bots so you can learn the game :slight_smile:

I think it would be useful if you mentioned which platform you intend on playing :slight_smile: