1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod music transfer

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by drwinchester, May 24, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So I've had this iPod touch for about 4 years without updating or backing it up.

Just backed it up through iTunes today and was able to transfer over some of the purchases. However, not all the songs are purchased- a lot of them were sourced through CDs or local files. So transferring purchases through iTunes just doesn't work. I might need a program to transfer the songs since I can't enable the iPod for disk use (which would allow me to dig into the iPod's hidden files and manually transfer the songs).

Does anyone know of a good clean, effective and free iPod transfer program?

2. mangotree

How did you get the CD and local files songs on there in the first place? Does the computer/hdd that you transferred them onto the iPod from no longer exist?
    Are you on a Mac or Windows?
    What version of iOS does it have now?

You might have to jailbreak it unfortunately because I haven't seen or used a free backward transfer program since the iPod classic days. Though I could be wrong.

Peace be with you.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no good answer because I was wondering the same thing. Apple changed that a long time ago. Forces you to buy stuff if you want to upgrade. But like was said, if you ripped the music from a cd, the local source files should be there in the computers music folder.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was a program I used a couple years back and it was free. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it though.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, my iPod has the only copies of those music files- I manually uploaded the music from various iTunes accounts and computers over the years.

I'm on a Windows 8. But I've been able to backup songs before- but that was on a Windows 7 and with an older version of iTunes.

I had a program back when I did the same thing with an iPod Nano but I don't remember the name of it.

6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Quick google search returned Sharepod and KiwiG PhonTunes. Although when I went to go check out Sharepod, it's a limited version. Have no idea about KiwiG Phontunes though.

7. mangotree

A quick search on CNET gave me syncios, might be worth a try.
    Generally speaking the OS on nano vs touch are very different so if u found it, it might not work anyway.