1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Maeve, May 29, 2014.

1. Maeve

Because Microsoft Support is incompetent, I'm hoping the lovely people of EC will be able to help. I wasted over an hour of my time trying to fix the problem and got absolutely nowhere.

Okay, so here's how it goes: I got a new computer earlier this year. The computer's great, no issues. It came with a free trial of Microsoft Office 365. I never activated it, and went with Open Office instead. It's okay, but every time I open something in Word it throws a little temper tantrum and the format is sometimes messed up.

I decided to buy the full office for those reasons. I couldn't get my trial to activate, so I uninstalled it using "Uninstall a Program" and re-install it. I think this is where I went wrong. Now when I try and activate it, it won't work because a previous version was already installed.

I'm not super computer-savvy, but what I think happened is that there was some component of Office left on my computer. I tried using the Microsoft Office Uninstall tool to completely remove it from my computer. Didn't work.

So, what do I do now?

2. CrazyChances

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program - Look down the list to see if there's any Microsoft Office programs that are still hanging around. If you can't see any, try...

Start > Computer Local Disk (C) > Program Files (OR, depending on your system) Program Files (x86) - Look for any Microsoft Office folder and delete it manually.

If neither of them work, you might have to do a system restore to a point before you tried to activate it. No 'computer expert' here, those are just the steps that I'd try.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    okay, try this.

Go into "My Computer"

Click on "C: Drive"

Click on "program files (x86)"

Find "Microsoft Office" and delete the file, if it isn't there it's already uninstalled.
    ______

IMO stick with Open Office, you can save your files in different formats if you need to. Instead of just hitting "save as" and having it save the document as an Open Office document, which is the default, you can go to the bottom of the save menu and there is a drop-down bar that has different formats for you to save it in.

4. Maeve

It doesn't show up in Uninstall a Program, but I did delete the folder from Program File (x86).

Forgot to add I'm running Windows 8 64-bit.

I'd really rather not do a system restore because I've installed a fair bit of stuff since then and I don't want to lose it.

---------- Post added 29th May 2014 at 07:22 PM ----------

Sometimes the format is screwy with Open Office, even if I save it as a Word document. It's a pain in the butt to fix it. I'm a student, so I use Office programs regularly.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you need to transfer the document into Word format?; and no you don't need to do a system restore. You just need to remove the files.

6. Maeve

I don't have a printer, so I need to use the school computers to print stuff out. They only have Word. And if I'm in a lab, I may prefer to use a school computer for whatever reason.

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you right click on the document and select 'print' the computer will send the file to the printer, you won't have to go through Microsoft Office.

I think that's how it works anyway, you could also download open office to a flash drive and run the program from there, that way when you plug it in to your school computer just open up Open Office from the flash drive (Your flash drive is just a little hard drive) and then you can do everything you could do at home but at school.

Edit:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2019655_install-openoffice-flash.html

Here's a link to how to download Open Office to your flashy drive

8. Maeve

I also send stuff to professors and other students a lot. I've sent stuff that had weird formatting or I've forgotten to save it as a Word document so it doesn't work.

Plus I paid for it, and I want it to work, darnit!

9. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk, now that it's removed have you tried downloading it again?

10. Maeve

Yeah, no luck. :frowning2:

11. Quandary

Out Status:
    A few people
    My sympathies and a free bump. I didn't like Microsoft Office or OpenOffice and have used Jarte religiously for years.

12. MaynardSantos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You're using Open Office? That one was already no longer a popular office suite for the Opensource community. Everyone that were using Open Office migrated to "Libre Office". Try downloading that instead, as it is under strong development.