1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Least resource-heavy browser?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, May 31, 2014.

1. 741852963

I'm a hardcore Opera user (currently using Opera 12) but for the last few months its really been hogging RAM using anywhere from 0.5GB - 1.5GB+ which surely is a bit excessive? I'm finding when it spikes at the high-end it white over and I'll get a not responding message. Chrome in contrast is usually at the 0.4-0.5GB margin.

I do love Opera's minimalist visuals and find it one of the cleanest looking browsers (the toolbar layout is the best) and its super speedy when working, however its obviously of no use when it doesn't work!

Which browser uses the least system resources? Can Chrome/Firefox/IE be customized to look a bit more like Opera (I find the Chrome toolbar way too chunky). Has anyone tried the latest Opera (13?) or Opera Next - what is the difference?

2. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    look it doesnt matter what browser you use they all take this huge amount when you open multiple taps
    anyway i play heavy games and open like 20 taps and still dont face any slow in my pc i have 2gb of ram
    how much ram do you have and what operation system you use?

3. 741852963

2GB RAM but upgrading soon. I usually have 10-15 tabs open (not flash-heavy sites either).

4. MaynardSantos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Unfortunately there is no longer a light browser that exists today, all mainstream browsers are pigs. Opera used to be the lightest, but beyond version 12.16 - they abandoned the Presto Rendering engine which is the lightest of all rendering engines in favor of Webkit --- the same pig engine as Chrome/Safari.

5. 741852963

Thanks, so they are all pretty much the same now?

I might still have to try switching from Opera if the newer versions don't fix some of the page errors though. I find Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Netflix really struggle in Opera for some reason, even with the "Mask as Firefox" set.

At the moment I have to use two browsers (Chrome and Opera) for different tasks (video content and email v general browsing) which is a real pain.

6. kem

kem

I used to use Chrome, but I've switched to Safari. On a Mac, it's the lightest and the fastest I've tried. In addition to its other benefits (keychain, iOS safari sync)

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I don't know what you're using Opera on, but have you looked at the processes it spawns? I am a Firefox user on GNU/Linux, and I notice sometimes I have a shitload of flashplugin processes running sometimes, and that does cause some slowness.

In other words, are you absolutely sure that the browser is to blame?

8. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want my advice chrome is pretty good i use it all the time never had problems

9. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah in today’s world, every browser eats ram. I use chrome due to the heavy google integration(which I love) and the extensions. I find chrome the fastest as well. I usually have 6+ tabs open and along with my extensions I usually use at least 2 gigs of ram.

10. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you only have 2 gigs of RAM your computer will be paging (writing to disk space instead of memory) which slows it down a lot. Dedicated graphics cards will reduce RAM load, but the cost difference between two 2 gig and two 4 gig sticks of RAM isn't much so just buy a couple 4 gig sticks and you're good for a while. RAM is pretty much universal and unless you know more about it just stick with buying the ugly green sticks since they're cheaper (but slower) than the 'gaming' sticks.

The only light browsers you'll find, that I know of, are made for tablets and smart phones.