1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible iPhone battery failure?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gallatin, May 31, 2014.

1. Gallatin

Hi y'all.

So despite me posting last night that my iPhone is dead, I stubbornly refuse to give up on it. It's an iPhone 4 that's four years old (ancient, I know).

I've done everything I possibly can think of to fix the problem, but nothing has worked. The issue is this: when I plug the phone into the charger, it does not charge. The charging symbol appears and it says it's charging, but the percentage just continues to decrease. At this point, the battery is nearly dead. If I plug it in right now, the phone starts up, comes to the screen prompting me to enter my password, stays there for about four to five seconds, and then shuts off because of a lack of power. As of just a few days ago, it was still charging fine and holding it's charge quite well (I could go a couple days without recharging).

So far, to fix it I've tried (in order) turning it off and on, trying several different chargers and cords, reseting it, restoring it, and trying to clean any dust/debris from the charging port on the phone. Unfortunately, nothing has worked.

I'm truly out of ideas, so I'm wondering if anybody has ever encountered anything similar before? I know the phone is old, and that the batteries aren't designed to last forever, so if that's what it is, then alright. But it seems odd to me that it would go from doing quite well one day to just failing the next.

2. AlamoCity

Not sure if it'll work but what if you turn the phone off, then press the Home button as you connect the device to your computer's USB port. It should try and start the recovery mode and maybe that should be able to work.

I did this when my iPhone 3G was having issues and was frozen. Different circumstances, but it might be worth a shot. If you can't update or restore your iOS device

If not, maybe take it to those repair shops for phones and have them change the battery and use it till the iPhone 6 comes out :grin:.

3. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this happened to my galaxy when i plug it into my cheap charger to charge with when the battery is almost dead so try another charger
    also do this first turn it off and plug it in and leave it dont move it at all leave it charging while off

4. AlamoCity

To piggyback on this, iPhones seem to be notoriously picky with non-OEM chargers. Try your luck with a "real" Apple USB cord just in case it works.

5. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um...my sister's iPod (many years ago) battery failed. I remember leaving it on the charger for 30 minutes to an hour (to jumpstart it.) May not be the same method for an iphone but doesn't hurt to try.

(If it works, I'll be completely surprised.)

6. MaynardSantos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The moment a lithium-based battery left the factory where it was made -- its death clock is already ticking. Lithium-based batteries have a maximum charge cycles, and you cannot cheat it. If you've been using that phone for 4-years, of course the charge it holds has already degraded to the point of unusability.

7. Gallatin

Hey y'all, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, it's just not responding well to anything I try, so it probably is the battery that finally died or some issue with the charging port. But it's not really important now as I've decided that after four years, it's probably time for a new phone anyways. :slight_smile:

8. paranoidkid

I fix iphone 4's. What I do is this, I will open the iphone up, (2 screws on bottom) then go to where the battery connects, take the screw out holding the battery connector in. The disconnect the battery, then reconnect it and put everything back in. it works perfect for me every time. My iphone 4 has the same battery and its been over 4 years. It actually lasts me all day while using it.