1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D&D Next...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by White Knight, Jun 17, 2014.

1. White Knight

New D&D edition, titled D&D Next coming out in coming months. Starting with mid July starter pack launch. Followed by PHB, MM and DMG month by month till Dungeon Master's Guide's November release.

Not currently aware of novels related to version change as in the past but this time WotC also having an event/tie in with Neverwinter Online on 14th August. Considering what I saw and heard 5th edition; DnDNext is more akin to 3,5th Edition so having that event in NWO kinda surprising as DDO based on that edition.

Anyway do you play D&D on pen and paper? Are you DMing? Which is your favorite edition? What is your favorite class? Favorite setting? Any ideas about D&D Next?

Edit: I know there are some D&D video game players so feel free to chime in. :grin:

2. jargon

I remember checking this out when they released some early material a few months ago. It seemed a tiny bit less flexible than 3.5, but probably significantly easier to get started in. If any of my nerd friends are still in the area when this comes out I wouldn't be opposed to trying it.

Myself, I grew up on 3.5. Favorite class? Anything I can play as a dwarf. :thumbsup:

3. KayJay

I don't play D&D but I do play Pathfinder :3

4. twosoups

I play 3.5, and will probably continue to. I played the d&d next playtest and didn't really care for it.

5. White Knight

I started playing D&D with original Neverwinter Nights. I like and DM 3,5.

Playing 4th on Neverwinter Online. While it is so confusing on PnP, it feels nice as a video game.

I also dabbled a bit into play test. Couldn't get into it as much as I wanted to thanks to real life commitments. Liked what I saw so might at least get first set of books to check.

My favorite setting is Forgotten Realms as player, Eberron as DM which is more flexible than FR.

I have that weird obsession for playing as a half elf/half drow and like Druids, Bards and Sorcerers.

6. Nikky DoUrden

I never played the P&P type of D&D but I did play games such as BG, and some forum-d&d when I was younger.

I'm not sure thu if "shadowrun" considered D&D as it is RPG because thats one game I didn't like, so I guess my favorite "settings" are ones which I can take my sword and hack some dragons and demiliches.

I think drow are the coolest (my avatar is drizzt!)

7. White Knight

Checked Shadowrun and no it isn't DnD. It uses d6 instead of d20 of D&D. Of course also doesn't belong to Wizard of the Coast.

Setting is where your game takes place. So far nearly all successfull D&D computer RPGs took place in Forgotten Realms, home setting of Drizzt Dourden.

Only games I know from recent past who ain't Faerun are Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk) and Dungeons and Dragons Online (Eberron, recently it is also expanded the FR, which is considered as default setting for D&D by most).

Enough geeking... :rolle:

Shadowrun looks interesting, might give it a try.

8. Delirious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, to be honest, I've only played dyd 4th. Tried 3.5 but my friends didn't like it. Plus we already had 4th ed books and our master never played 3.5 so, we kept playing that version.
    If the books are translated to Spanish, I wouldn't mind to try next, the problem is that there are only two members in my group that will be able to understand what's going on. The others will get bored easily. Anyway, seems interesting.

Favorite class? Mage (witch) race? I like pixies

9. Nikky DoUrden

More geeking please! :grin:

I thought all of those places took place in the Forgotten Realms, like there are multiple universes or something like that.
    At least when I played Planescape:Torment they explained about the Blood Wars between the two types of fiends and that theme not only happened on PS:T but in other D&D games as well, and in PS:T they talk about having Sigil as a place that u can portal to anywhere.

I will totally agree with u then - Forgotten Reals is the best setting, not only because of Drizzt!! :grin:

If u'll ever try shadowrun just keep in mind saves are only when starting a new area, i really hate that in games >.>

10. White Knight

This is the problem with D&D or maybe not a problem but why we have X edition guys. You invest huge time and money to products so moving to another edition hurts.

I hear your problem about not finding books in your native language. My players also don't know English so I have to use 3rd edition Turkish PHB or translate things for them.

Luckily my games involves too little fighting, center on intrigue and mysteries... having female players is a huge bonus for that type of play. Just mention them X is cheating on Y and they are all ears. :roflmao:

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2014 at 11:54 AM ----------

All D&D settings evolve around similar background. Blood Wars is common theme in Greyhawk (generic D&D), Eberron (to an extent), Forgotten Realms... not sure about Ravenloft or Dragonlance. Planescape, from what I gather by reading things online and convos with gaming friends, is like Doctor Who meets Marvel's Exiles. It is limbo or crossroads of several planes/settings.

Forgotten Realm is the one most similar to Greyhawk in many points. It has more superstars (Elminister, Khelben, Simbul or Drizzt) and more interesting Pantheon. My first fantasy novel was Avatar Triolgy which tells the story of Midnight (soon will be Goddess of Magic Mystra, Cyric who will become Mad God of the same name and Kelemvor Lionsbane who will claim the throne of Myrkull, God of Death). Pantheon of FR has a god for every liking and it is the only setting I love playin a cleric or favored soul (in PnP, not that satisfying when playing on CRPGs).

Eberron is very different yet has motto of "If it is in D&D, it has place in Eberron". It was the most high magic of current D&D settings. Not in power of magic but by its usage. Elemental bound Airships, House Orien railroad system, half construct Warforged race and their Warforged Titan cousins. Also it leaves more space to intrigue, like you can create corrupt clerics of good gods who can still function (in PnP you loose all your powers if you stray too far from your God's alignment). Also has its own New York, namely Sharn City of Towers... corruption and poverty runs in streets... especially on lower heights of the city... Perfect place for your private investigators, serial killers, Batmanesque vigilantes or crazy mini airship chases between towers.

11. Nikky DoUrden

That explains it thanks! :grin:

I would definatly love Eberron, I think the Dungeon&Dragons Online game taken place in there (poped into my mind when u mentioned the warforged race).

12. White Knight

Yes. That game has very good use of things I mentioned (Warforged Titan boss nearly sci-fi like raid, corrupt clerics, "good" deities using people to do their dirty deeds) and of course every guild can have their own airship. Jumping off the airship is fun. :grin:

While I don't like current trend of game's leaning thru Forgotten Realms, it is still a good game. Hmmm actually I just don't approve their FR expansions, they kinda started neglect Eberron. They are just following money.

What I like most about DDO is unique mission design and lack of missions style I hate most in MMOs... kill X number Y.... Yay for not having hunt missions.:eusa_danc

Neverwinter Online uses 4th edition rules and made by Cryptic (which means they can really make good mission designing). It is more action focused than DDO which fits 4th ed. very nice as it is all about action and fast pace.

Both games are nice. DDO more like old school MMOs, more party based. NWO on the other hand is leaning towards today's weird (at least for me) MMO style, you can level up to cap solo then you need to learn "playing the game" and farm items to make your character better so you could be accepted into groups. :rolle:

13. Julieno

I played and DM'ed a lot of D&D 3.5. I really hated 4th though so I am pretty excited to hear this. Forgotten realms and Dragonlance are aldo my favourite settings though I would love to try Ravenloft

Unfortunately I don't thing anyone i know where i live now would be interested in playing, so that cuts the excitement a bit.

My favourite p&p game is (old)world of darkness though, I just love vampire the masquerade. I am a compelte horror nerd so it was a given.

14. White Knight

My initial reaction to 4th Edition was also very negative. However in time I learned to think out of the box and now liking the system. Not for D&D perhaps but its open ended system, mostly dawned on me by guys who posted 4th Edition Wolverine or similar superhero builds on WotC boards, it might be good for another playstyles. :icon_wink

Probably 4th Edition even didn't sit well with WotC and they are changing back to "roots" i.e. more 3,5 edition like system. If you think about it 3/3,5 edition give birth to most successfull (in numbers, BG is best D&D game by many uses 2nd Ed) computer games which is more in tune with today's young generation. I don't remember if I told it but I also introduced to D&D by a video game.

4th Edition so far only produced Neverwinter Online which is pretty good and a monstrosity I don't even remember its name.

Will D&D Next be the last edition? I doubt that. After insane amount of supplement books they will need to come up with something different to sell more books/products.

#14 White Knight, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014