1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody remember this game? (need help finding one)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by EleanorHunter, Jun 24, 2014.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, this is going to sound like a bit of a weird request. I'm currently getting into emulators and discovering a lot of old games, many of which I played as a kid at my friends' houses and such. I wasn't a huge gamer, but there were certain games that caught my eye and I never totally forgot about them.

One of those games was a certain computer game (at least, I'm pretty sure it was a computer game). There was always an trailer for it when I watched Disney movies (pretty sure on VHS, though it could have been DVD as well), and it scared the living heck out of me. It was a very dark game about a little boy with monsters underneath his bed, with lots of creepy music and a pretty awesome narrator for the ad itself. I'm pretty sure the boy ends up getting kidnapped by one of the monsters, and that's what leads to the game itself. The style, from what I remember, was like a 2D cartoon. The only thing it resembles that I can think of off the top of my head would have to be Invader Zim, except that the game looked more like a pencil sketch, and the main character's anatomy was different.

Now normally I'd just search up this game and find a copy but, unfortunately, I can't remember the stupid name. I don't even know what the genre is; I had no idea if it was a point and click game, or a platformer, or anything. Since I was so little (probably only about six years old or so), I hardly even knew the basics of video games. And plus, that commercial was horrifying to watch, there was no way a scaredy-cat kid like me was gonna go anywhere near it. But now, I've gotten over my fears, and really want to find this game again. In fact, it's kinda driving me nuts.

I know that's not much of a description to go off of, but does this game sound familiar to anyone? A PC game from the late 90s particularly? If it doesn't, a list of PC games from this era would also be a huge help (especially if Disney ever advertised any of them).

2. White Knight

3. Ridiculous

4. mangotree

#4 mangotree, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  5. White Knight

Wow. Nice job, Mangotree.

Certainly your wiki-fu is stronger than mine. *bows*

6. mangotree

Thanks White Knight (*hug*)

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks like the question was answered with Nightmare Ned, but I remember this game! Played it when I was sick as a dog with chickenpox X.X but it was pretty awesome, until the game froze because it was a crappy scratched-up disc from Blockbuster lol.

8. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YES! That's it! Thank you so much! :icon_bigg

I actually didn't know this game existed until this year, and I'll probably end up playing it as well.

9. mangotree

Any time...
    Just out of interest - what software are you using the emulate Windows 95?
    Or are you actually using an old computer?
    or a VM?
    There's some late 90's games that I'd like to revisit as well :slight_smile:
    e.g. Jazz Jackrabbit, One Must Fall, Wacky Wheels, Little Big Adventure 1 and 2, original Need for Speed, original Grand Theft Auto, Mech Warrior etc...

#9 mangotree, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  10. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Chances are, I'm just gonna try my hardest to find some sort of emulator or VM. I'm pretty sure there isn't a computer in my house that's old enough to play any sort of game without an emulator. Heck, that computer would have to be older than me! :lol: But I can let you know what I used when I figured it all out. I'm still pretty new to all of this.

11. White Knight

There are some emulators around to net to allow you play many non-PC or old PC games.

I don't know if you can find them on GoG but you might want to check them for well known titles.

GOG.com

This is where I found my most old games. They even have Sacrifice. :icon_bigg

12. mangotree

Thanks, I might have a play around at some point too.

I've used DOSBox on my Mac and on Linux, and it worked okay ... only for DOS games of course... though often had sound problems (Sound Blaster etc..)

It'll be fun trying to get Win95 going.
    I used VirtualBox a while back and got WinXP going ... sort of, hard to say if Win95 will work on it, but might be somewhere to start.
    If you can find an old version of WinXP, I seem to remember it having a Win95/98 compatibility properties option.

There's also Q Emulator (if you're on a Mac) - I've never tried it though.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2014 at 03:54 PM ----------

Thanks heaps for the link White Knight.
    Found Little Big Adventure 1 and 2 on there, yay!

13. White Knight

You're welcome.

Good thing about GoG games, you can play it on current systems without any hussle.

I even stopped playing MMOs thanks to GoG. Have too many games in my hands and so short attention span.:confused: