1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I recall programming knowledge ? (c/c++/java/python/anything)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nikky DoUrden, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Nikky DoUrden

Hey all !
    I known some programming but I didn't touch some subject for a really long time (for example c/c++) and I wonder how to recall that knowledge.
    I don't want to do whole tutorials again, maybe some expert-exercises that will also explain stuff ?
    Any site for my kind of problem ?
    Or what should I google ? :grin:

Thanks (*hug*)

(note: not sure if its the right forum to put this on ?)

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Programming is just about learning the different syntax structures (and libraries) to support writing algorithms. The most important part is remembering what the algorithms are and when and how to use them.

I say it's nice to return to programming with Python, since you care less of the time about types than a strongly-typed language like C#. Just as a random tidbit for the numerically inclined, Python uses arbitrary precision arithmetic.

C# is my language of preference, but I have not been interrupted from programming in quite a while.

By the way, I would love to figure out how the Heisenberg principle came about and why it is that pi and e show up all the time in physics and seemingly unrelated other branches of mathematics.

#2 Pret Allez, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually just start a project to refresh my knowledge. I also have a lot of reference books(C++/Ruby/Python user).

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Codecademy is an interactive code-learning website.

It doesn't have C or C++, I don't think, but it does have Java and Python, along with a few others.

The reason why I suggested this is because I find that using simple sites like Codecademy really boosts my motivation and understanding. It's smooth and the lessons are very friendly (they don't sound like a robot is talking to you).

Even if you tried it already, I recommend you to go back. It's good review too.

5. Nikky DoUrden

I learned python before actually although I remember nothing, could be a good idea to refresh my memory on that :slight_smile:

But since im looking for a job, I think I should also touch the most popular languages such as C/C++ and Java right ?

About Heisenberg its quiet facanating, and require some reading!
    If u assume particles behave like waves, u give them a wave equation that represents the position at a given time ("wave equation").
    The fun part is that the best way physcist found to write the wave equation is as an IMAGINARY equation, and if u remember there is the Euler Equation that says e^ix = sin(..)+cos(..) or something of a sort. thats where the "e" comes from.
    PI comes a lot since in physics things seem to have spherical symetry, and PI represents a circle in a way :grin:

If I start a project i'll need a project to do though, and one that will help me retain the skills I had, thus I thought maybe some excercises on the net could help although I dont know and "pro programmer" excercises ^^

I would try that one and see :grin:
    I agree that it might even motivate me more because its on the internet and I dont need to handle compilation and configurations :slight_smile:
    Hope they would had c/c++/java as well thu hehe

Thank u all for the input (see what i did there?) (*hug*)

And if anyone else has more ideas and references I would love to hear about! :slight_smile:

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I snorted so loud at this I felt guilty

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frickin' Codeacademy. I went there because I wanted to brush up on my C++, but alas. I've given up on programming :frowning2: but at least 3D modeling comes easily enough to me.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw, come on. I love that site. At least it prepares you for the difficulties and frustrations of learning code.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mean to imply it isn't a great site, just that C++ is what we learned in school, and although we also learned Java, I wasn't nearly as interested in that and I was disappointed they don't offer my first choice.

10. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, haha. I didn't really mean the "aw come on" thing seriously. Oops.

But, yeah. It'd be great if they offered C++ courses. I wanted to learn that too, but alas, it was not meant to be...