1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Videogames Anti-LGBT?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mr D Gamer, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Mr D Gamer

I don't know if its just me that thinks this, but whenever I see a character showing any interest in anything other than straight heterosexual relations it seems to be reflected in a bad way. Most recently for me I noticed it in dead rising 3 for the Xbox one. I think the guy's name was dale, he was in a sex shop/ strip club kinda set up with a guy and girl hostage, and made a cheeky comment at nick as he clumsily tripped and dale got a nice view of his arse. So its pretty clear he likes him as he even tries to ask him to lick a lollipop (couldn't be more obvious dale :wink: ) after nick refuses, it ends up in a bloody battle with dale turning out to be evil. But I'm sure this isn't the only time gays, bis and such have been shown as evil people in games. Help me out people have you seen anything which made our community seem evil?

2. KayJay

I think this would be an appropriate video for this discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdmJXHJLZ6M

I feel like there are many more negative portrayals in games of the LGBT community than there are positive ones. Kind of sad really. Usually when there are good ones they seem forced and not needed you know? It is such a weird subject.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watch a lot of CSI and it seems as if all LGBT related episodes except for one or two makes them criminals or victims.

But video games? I don't think I've seen any, although that could be that I don't play many. Some of them are LGBT-friendly, though.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mass Effect tried to make it both present and a non-issue throughout the game. I think they did a great job actually. The muscular guy was getting teased by the gay crewmate for working out a lot, and he came back with something like "you know you like the show." Then they dropped it. It was a great portrayal of what kind of acceptance we can look forward to in the future.

5. Candace

Not to my knowledge, but then again, if you had the straight guy be the evil one, then you'd hear complaining from them as well. To my recollection, I don't see a lot of negative portrayal when they introduce gay characters. It's possible in video games, with the idea of straight machoism shoved down our throats.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've never played a video game with an LGBT character, so I'm not sure how they are portrayed. Barely any games I'm interested in include relationships of any kind.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my Jebus would there be complaining. Christian activist groups who got wind of this scenario would cry out like the Devil himself were handing out copies of the game.

8. Mr D Gamer

Wow KelsC that was the same video I saw! It does make some fair points but there isn't actually that many games that contain this sort of thing. Hopefully in the future characters will come out of the closet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Complex

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's annoying how games are set up with stuff like that;theres usually nothing or something bad. barely ever in games that it's equal i can only name a few like Fable series i used to love those games just because of that. and that was before i even figured out i was pans lol