1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past vs. Ocarina of Time

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

2. Candace

I liked the Ocarina of Time best. I'd rather have a good quality story and the graphics be a hit and miss than the other way around. It makes the game entirely less enjoyable otherwise, imo.

3. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love zelda, ive played ocarina of time before and I enjoyed it :slight_smile: I just bought A Link To The Past this week and I cant wait to play it.

4. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ocarina of Time is the best followed by Twilight Princess.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Nostalgia is going to play heavily into a lot of decisions. Keep that in mind.

That said, I was very young when A Link to the Past came out. I was a middle-aged teenager when Ocarina of Time came out. Having played them both back then, I always enjoyed A Link to the Past a little bit more. Ocarina of Time is a good game, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the features and concepts from it, come from A Link to the Past.

In a way, Ocarina of Time took what A Link to the Past established and enhanced it. This is fine, as it makes the game familiar to older fans, as well as enjoyable.

The primary reason I prefer A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time is, the story. In Ocarina of Time, it's pretty straight forward. Ganon causes problems, and Link has to step up and save the day. In A Link to the Past, Link is thrown into the thick of things, without any real kind of preparation, other than following his uncle, and seeing his only accessible relative die before his eyes. Gradually, Link learns of the evil wizard, Agahnim, and his plans. However, you learn, much later on, that the situation isn't what you were led to believe -- and it is much worse.

Ocarina of Time is a fine game, but I don't know if it'd be as critically acclaimed, if A Link to the Past didn't provide the foundation to build upon.

As a kid, I didn't like Majora's Mask. Now, being older, and having gone back and played it. I now realize how underrated Majora's Mask is. It's a much darker game, and when you consider the theory that Link is dead, and that the world he travels around in is Purgatory, it only adds an interesting layer to the gaming experience.

6. Simple Thoughts

I'd throw in my two cents, but I have to finish A Link to the Past and at least start on Ocarina of time first.

I've been systematically playing all the Zelda games. When I was younger I never got into them ( I don't really know why ) but given their success and how highly they are praised I've been giving them a shot. I'm absolutely in love with the original game, and so far A Link to the Past has not dissapointed. I'm a bit nervous about how the transition into 3D will go with Oot, but we'll see.

Majora's mask is the one that has my interest the most. From what I've heard about it, it sounds like an amazing game and I'm eager to get my hands on it.

7. Sitri

While I certainly loved both, I'm going to have to say I liked A Link to The Past just a little bit more. Mostly because of water temple frustration in OoT. That ONE key! Beneath the door... ugh

8. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay