1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do your characters reflect your identity?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AlexTheGrey, Jul 28, 2014.

1. AlexTheGrey

This is a bit of a respin of an old thread, which can be found here: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/techn...your-characters-reflect-your-orientation.html

Rephrased a bit, the question is: when you have an option to pick the sex/gender of your character, does it match your identity, or not? Does playing scripted characters where you don't get to pick, bother you?

----

For me, I don't mind playing a scripted character of any sex/gender. I do find myself creating characters of the opposite sex when I'm given an option though, trying to play a character of the same sex in an MMO is strangely unsettling for me.

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    meh, i like playing a female character but would not mind playing a male character

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting.. I'm a male, not confused with my gender at all, but I usually pick the girls.

I find it more interesting, because you can totally be someone else then. Especially with games like the Sims. :lol:

4. Sabot Kitty

I always play as my gender; it's kind of the first ways I had of expressing as much. =)

5. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My characters are almost always designed to resemble me as closely as possible. They are almost always female, look like me in appearance, have my name or one of my nicknames/aliases, and where the game allows, they hit on other female characters as opposed to male.

For some reason I just don't feel comfortable playing with characters who aren't extensions of myself, so yes, it does bother me when you have to use a predetermined scripted character.

Although I was thinking generally of more 'serious' games, it makes for good (and rather disconcerting) fun in The Sims where eventually you can end up with a whole town full of different versions of yourself all interacting with each other. Weird.

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In video games, I always pick male as my gender, ESPECIALLY if they use pronouns to refer back to me.

As for OCs, no. They have a variety of genders.

I have to say, though, a suspicious amount of them aren't straight...

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My characters are always girls.

8. Hiems

When given the option, my characters are 40/60 M/F. My choice depends on design. For instance, Castanic Males in TERA are way too hot to ignore, so I make that instead of Castanic Female :grin:

In other games, the female designs may look cooler, so I pick them too.

As for gender-locked classes, it doesn't matter. My choice is based on the playstyle, not the gender.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to make them reflect me, or at least an idealized version of me. That's why I shy away from games with rigidly-defined classes. I want to be my own warrior, dammit, not somebody else's! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I tend to choose/create females. I'm a sucker for a bad ass woman, kicking teeth down throats, while looking fierce. Of course, in games where the characters are already made, then I go with what I like best, male or female. But when given the choice, it's usually almost always a female that I craft.

If I had to make a ratio, it'd be along the lines of 80/20. With the first, 80, being the percentage I go female, and the second, 20, being the percentage I go male.

So, in a way, kind of. But there is a great deal of liberties, in other aspects. Take Skyrim for example, as awesome as it would be to summon the dead, that isn't something I can actually do, LOL.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Nah, I tend to make OCs out of the character creators in games ha

12. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Definitly male character, people actually treat me like a guy.

13. Acm

Acm Guest

I like making ones with the same gender and orientation as me, but that last one isn't always an option in games

14. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer to stay away from pre-scripted characters. The act of character creation allows for a deeper connection with one's character which in turn allows for a more immersive experience. I do tend to make my characters like myself in one way or another but I avoid the uncanny valley of self-replication. Seeing as escapism is one of the reasons I play video games, if a character is too much like myself it tends to ruin the game. That being said, I do regularly create characters that are nothing like me. For example, Karla the female Orc Shaman I am currently playing in Skyrim.

15. PaganPoetry

I personally love when a game gives me the chance to personalize my character and I will usually pick a male character if there are options for dressing it in a more feminine, glam and flashy or androgynous manner (like I do in animal crossing).....but I will pick a female character if I'm stuck with a masculine male character with limited fashion choices and will usually dress the female character in the most glamorous of outfits (like I do in my pokemon game).....but I always try my best to create characters that I can see myself as...which I guess is interesting because it says a lot about the way I want to be seen and be

16. norasariah

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is why I like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and The Walking Dead. I can make choices that affect the world around me, and I can be rude or polite, cowardly or brave. I do feel like these characters reflect my identity based on the choices I make.

17. Mr D Gamer

I usually pick a female character and make myself look nice also I'd like guys to want me as their bitch or girl and in real life I want to be their girl... Except I'm still a guy :wink:
    Plus females usually are drawn better in most games so I like being a bitch hehe

That post makes it sound like I am trans. I will never become trans just to clarify that point.

#17 Mr D Gamer, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  18. Yosia

Im always either a girl or a boy which looks like a girl.

19. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I always chose a hot muscle stud for my charters in Baulders gate games...
    A warrior with style... :slight_smile:

20. Fimo

Out Status:
    All but family
    I always chose a guy ... and when you could personalize them, I would always make him look like me: mid-long hairs, freckles ... And even now, I still always create male caracters, of when i create a female, she is never feminine ... always a tomboy ^^