1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Lenovo a good laptop brand?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by gaynerd64, Jul 28, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

I found a really good deal a Lenovo laptop (16 GB ram, SSD, HD Radeon graphics) but I am not familiar with the brand or the Thinkpad line. I am trying to decide between this or a Mac. I am also not familiar with Radeon graphics either.

2. In my experience, no. The display got really messed up only a couple months in-- diagonally, half of the screen would be black while the other half would show the programs that were running. I'm not sure if it was just our laptop or if others have experienced this with Lenovos as well. Try looking around on sites like Amazon to see what people think.

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2014 at 08:42 PM ----------

I looked up Lenovo on Amazon, and most of the ratings are in the 3.5 to 4 stars range. Others were as low as 2.5 and as high as 5.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For advanced users no, i don't think so.

4. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are not great, but they are not the worst out there. It's really hit or miss.

5. For a laptop i'd stick with the Asus brand, they're top quality

6. starfish

It depends. If you are looking at their ThinkPad line, that is pretty much the gold standard for PC quality. If it is one of their other lines, I rate them as meh.

7. KazTastic

I've got a Thinkpad T530 (which replaced a Mac), and it's a decent machine. However, their quality control is nowhere near as good as when IBM built them.

However, they're better built than pretty much any other PC on the market, though using a Mac is something completely different. It's like comparing a Toyota to a Mercedes Benz.

ASUS should've stuck to making motherboards, their laptops are poorly built and are clogged full of junk out of the box.

8. RainbowMan

^^ This. I've not had a ton of laptops other than ThinkPads, and my 6 year old R61 is still chugging along (slowly :grin:)

My current primary laptop is a ThinkPad T440s.

9. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Typically Asus and Lenovo are the top laptop brands when it comes to quality.

10. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lenevo laptops tend to be good for switching in or replacing different parts as the whole PC can be pretty easily dismantled with a screwdriver, however they can be a little expensive because of their ability to be customised
    But I personally you'll take a Lenovo over a mac.

11. Data

Data Guest

I'm using a Lenovo R61 ThinkPad right now to type this.

My favorite things about it are:
    #1 The red cursor trackball in the keyboard in the center of G, H, and B keys.
    #2 The keyboard. IBM/Lenovo has the BEST keyboard out there, ever. A joy to type on.
    #3 The design overall.

I haven't had ONE issue with this laptop since buying it. I love it, no regrets at all.

12. gaynerd64

Thanks everybody. I've decided to go with an Asus laptop since it seems to be the most popular and the model I am looking at has a 2 GB graphics card.

13. Not true, maybe the cheaper models as mine had no pre-install software at all. Asus laptops have been in the top in terms of quality for many years.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been using a Lenovo ThinkPad for the past 15 months or so. There have been zero problems with it, it is so robust and reliable, the most problem-free of any laptop I've ever used.

I actually visited the Lenovo headquarters in Beijing, China about 5 years ago, very impressive (but they keep their innovations to a minimum, concentrating on improving the quality of their existing products).

15. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a Lenovo Thinkpad and a Toshiba Satellite. The Thinkpad I've had for three years and it recently started giving me the blue screen at random. I don't really use it much because it was free through my school. My Toshiba I've had for five years and, except for a battery that went bad about a year ago, it runs like a champ.

16. KazTastic

I can't fault their internals one bit, however, they just look and feel cheap, compared to Lenovo and Apple's products, especially their keyboards. Dad's K72 was loaded with so much useless stuff that it slowed down the computer, even when it was new. The battery also died within 2 years of use. However, I would still trust them more than HP, Toshiba, Dell or Acer.

17. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be completely honest, brand doesn't matter all that much. The problem with any pre-made computer is that you usually don't know the exact internals (ie what brand of motherboard or RAM), and the internal hardware (especially in laptops) is usually going to die at some point. The reason is that computer brands will put cheaper components into a computer to save money and since people will usually upgrade after a couple years anyway they think it doesn't need to last, and the fact that laptops trap more heat than desktops generally means that they won't last as long.

I've had a Dell desktop, a Gateway laptop, a Toshiba laptop, and now I have a Lenovo laptop. All of my previous computers have had either a motherboard or hard drive go out (except for my Lenovo, which is only a few months old), so honestly no brand has been better than the other. My Lenovo is actually very nice and can run almost any game on normal-high settings with no problems. I also do streaming, recording, and video/audio editing on it with no issues.

TL;DR: I love my Lenovo laptop (Ideapad Y410p), and I got a great deal on it. My advice when buying a laptop is just to pick your specs and not worry too much on the brand name, because any brand computer can and most likely will die sooner or later. If you are looking for a desktop, build it. Anyway, good luck with your computer ^_^