Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware

Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware Chat about gaming, technology, computer software and hardware, MP3 players, gadgets etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30th Jul 2014, 07:52 AM   #1
EC Addict

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: A few people

Star wars prequels

I personally prefer the star wars prequels to the originals. They were more intelligent. It wasn't just good vs evil but more interesting with the republic being flawed and there being politics to it. And the bad guys in the films change half way though from the separatists to the republic itself. It wasn't as predictable with the mystery on how the republic turned into the empire oppose to knowing that the rebels would eventually beat the empire in a big battle at the end of the movie. The characters if not played as well I think are more developed. They had flaws while the old character were either good or evil (except for Han Solo) this made the prequel characters more interesting. The action scenes were more epic.

The prequels were less silly than the originals. They completely defeat the empire by destroying the Death Star (which they had already done) and the emperor in one system. What about the rest of the empire? Did they just give up? Also I enjoyed the transformation on Anakin in the prequels if not the annoying romance. I still liked the originals just don't understand the hate the prequels get.

What do you guys think?
gibson234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Obsessed with Puella Magi

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: online, mom, gsa, only irl friend

Re: Star wars prequels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson234 View Post

The prequels were less silly than the originals. They completely defeat the empire by destroying the Death Star (which they had already done) and the emperor in one system. What about the rest of the empire? Did they just give up?
If you've read the expanded universe novels, they explain that they hadn't actually won yet. If anything, far from it. But it was still a rather large victory in the movies having finally beaten the emperor.

(the emperor in one system? He's the only emperor in the empire.)
Old 30th Jul 2014, 07:44 PM   #3
gonna live in a castle someday

Orientation: bi
Out Status: Some people

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson234 View Post
I personally prefer the star wars prequels to the originals. They were more intelligent. It wasn't just good vs evil but more interesting with the republic being flawed and there being politics to it. And the bad guys in the films change half way though from the separatists to the republic itself. It wasn't as predictable with the mystery on how the republic turned into the empire oppose to knowing that the rebels would eventually beat the empire in a big battle at the end of the movie. The characters if not played as well I think are more developed. They had flaws while the old character were either good or evil (except for Han Solo) this made the prequel characters more interesting. The action scenes were more epic.

The prequels were less silly than the originals. They completely defeat the empire by destroying the Death Star (which they had already done) and the emperor in one system. What about the rest of the empire? Did they just give up? Also I enjoyed the transformation on Anakin in the prequels if not the annoying romance. I still liked the originals just don't understand the hate the prequels get.

What do you guys think?
You're out of your mind is what I think The prequels were flashy and set in a very turbulent time, but IMO they were not so good, and compared to the originals had only a minuscule fraction of their charm.

Echoing the words of Gwendolyn, the finale of ROTJ was not the end of the war by a long shot, despite the fabulous Ewok party XD. And while the prequels did a decent job of showing the slide into tyranny and how impressive Palpatine's master plan was (except Anakin's moment of transformation was total bantha poodoo), they were emotionally bankrupt. The originals followed a deliberate literary design for their storytelling, which is why they are timeless. The new ones just sort of went every which way. Their breathtaking visual style is all that saves them from total mediocrity.

Last edited by Argentwing; 30th Jul 2014 at 07:50 PM..
Argentwing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Banned

Orientation: Sapio-Bisexual
Out Status: 2 people directly; potentially anyone indirectly

Having grown up with Episodes IV-VI, that is the only way I saw Yoda. I know he was a wise figure, and a very powerful Jedi, but the prequels only made me miss, his pretending childishness and his joking wisdom.

I always laugh when Yoda tells R2-D2, "Mine, mine!".
Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2014, 09:35 PM   #5
EC Addict

Orientation: I like girls
Out Status: Everyone knows!

The original trilogy holds more nostalgia factors for me, as I think it does for a lot of people. If I-VI were standing alone, and I had to rate them without having any previous attachment, I'd probably like I-III a lot more than I do.

Like I said, I'm not going to deny that it's solely for nostalgia purposes that I enjoy IV-VI so much better. It gives me this weird(but good) feeling in my stomach that I-III just can't seem to capture. The prequel trilogy is a lot deeper, and has a lot more depth; however when put up against the success of the originals, it's really hard to live up to those standards.
"But the world is so full of people, so crowded with these miracles that they become commonplace and we forget... We gaze continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from another's vantage point, as if new, it may still take the breath away." - Watchmen
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2014, 01:17 AM   #6
EC Addict
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn View Post

(the emperor in one system? He's the only emperor in the empire.)
Sorry I meant they beat the empire in one system. It was a poorly structure sentence lol
gibson234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2014, 08:41 AM   #7
EC Addict

Orientation: Homosexual Biromantic (Or just gay)

The original trilogy isn't nostalgic to me (I didn't grow up in that time period) but I still find them better then Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones. However I feel that Revenge Of The Sith was the best film because of the level of complexity it presented.
Old 31st Jul 2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Pax

Out Status: Most people

I'm a huge Star Wars fan...

The originals are better films. And they follow an established storytelling arch with some ancient philosophical themes thrown in for good measure (Monomyth etc).

But I do actually prefer the Prequels, because I prefer the deeper complexity of both story and characters. Some of the acting in the prequels is truly awful, though. But then again, that's partly because of the appallingly written lines that they had to deliver...
Old 31st Jul 2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Well Known

I prefer tho original films, I grew up with them and I think there are such a fantastic story, it's like an epic tale. The prequels haven't a heart, They have a great plot but they don't touch me.
Old 31st Jul 2014, 10:29 AM   #10
EC Addict

Out Status: All of Uni, Mum, Dad, Grandma

YES FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE LIKES THE PREQUELS ....a long time have I waited for this moment!

The Prequels are nostalgic for me as they were my childhood. In fact I only saw the original trilogy after seeing episodes 1 & 2. I love the light saber battles & how much more colourful the prequels are.

Overall though I love all the films! My favs would be Episode III & Episode VI . I love how both of them wrap up their respective trilogies with grace!
Old 31st Jul 2014, 10:58 AM   #11
Exploring the Gender Forest

Orientation: Women
Out Status: 2 others

I like the choreography work they did for Episode I. That to me was my idea of how a lightsaber battle should be filmed. Then they kept trying to top themselves in II and III and it kinda fell flat for me.

I am not a huge fan of the prequels, beyond that. There were good ideas there, but George really needed to let someone else do the screenplay based on those ideas. I don't hate them, but it felt like there was a huge missed opportunity to make something as iconic as the originals.
AlexTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2014, 11:07 AM   #12
EC Addict

Emperor vs Yoda was the best fight for me.

Perfect combination of tension, music, symbolism (the senate chairs being thrown symbolising the end of democracy) & choreography.
Old 31st Jul 2014, 12:20 PM   #13
Banned

Orientation: sexysexual
Out Status: ~The World~

There's redeeming aspects of the prequels but from a storytelling standpoint they fall flat pretty hard, especially the first 1. I see them as kind of a chain reaction of things that went wrong. First of all the characters were boring and alot of them served no purpose except to have a light saber fight at the end. When the characters are bad and you don't really care what happens to them, the romance and drama aspects don't work either. When those dont work and you still don't care about the characters then the Conflict (which should be most important part of the plot) fails as well. At that point you're left without anyone or anything to care about and the movie itself fails. I think the prequels are all perfect examples of this.

Last edited by kageshiro; 31st Jul 2014 at 12:23 PM..
kageshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Banned

There were three things I really enjoyed in the prequels.

The lightsaber battles were a lot better. But this is due to the technology. I assume that Episodes IV-VI would have had better duels, if the technology was around then.

Seeing Yoda actually fight, was incredible. I still miss his joking mannerisms, which he had in The Empire Strikes Back, but to see him actually in action, I'm down with that.

The scene where Anakin is marching during the Great Jedi Purge. Very well done, and a powerful moment.
Old 31st Jul 2014, 12:33 PM   #15
EC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageshiro View Post
There's redeeming aspects of the prequels but from a storytelling standpoint they fall flat pretty hard, especially the first 1. I see them as kind of a chain reaction of things that went wrong. First of all the characters were boring and alot of them served no purpose except to have a light saber fight at the end. When the characters are bad and you don't really care what happens to them, the romance and drama aspects don't work either. When those dont work and you still don't care about the characters then the Conflict (which should be most important part of the plot) fails as well. At that point you're left without anyone or anything to care about and the movie itself fails. I think the prequels are all perfect examples of this.

Yousa call mesa boaring?

couldn't resist soz!
Old 31st Jul 2014, 01:03 PM   #16
Banned

Orientation: sexysexual
Out Status: ~The World~

Honestly I think it could be argued that he was the best character in the phantom menace. He was the only one with an arc...
kageshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2014, 01:23 PM   #17
EC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kageshiro View Post
Honestly I think it could be argued that he was the best character in the phantom menace. He was the only one with an arc...
I have waited all my life to see a compliment for Jar Jar...thank you for fulfilling your destiny and completing my lifes purpose
Old 31st Jul 2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Well Known

Kageshiro, Sorry, I can't understand what do you mean I know what arc means but I can't understand the way you use it...
I deny the existence of Jar Jar Binks asd

Last edited by Mith; 31st Jul 2014 at 01:27 PM..
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2014, 01:25 PM   #19
Banned

It's sad, but kageshiro has a point. Darth Maul, as cool-looking as he was, simply existed to give us a reason to endure a fairly dull movie.
Old 31st Jul 2014, 01:27 PM   #20
EC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith View Post
Kageshiro, Sorry, I can't understand what do you mean
I deny the existence of Jar Jar Binks asd
Goood embrace your anger and become one with the jar jar side of the force!