1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How People React To Mathematicians

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pret Allez, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm a software engineer, not a mathematician. (I was never good enough to be a mathematician). Anyways, I found this to be hilarious, and I hope that our three mathematicians will find these funny.

"If I Reacted to Other People's Careers the Way they React to Me Becoming a Mathematician"
    The last one was an F bomb, so I didn't include it despite being the most hilarious.

2. Candace

This was purely hilarious! :lol:. It's like they always try to make you validate your profession or they try to impress you, patronizing even. I find it funny that whenever I say "I speak 4 languages fluently" they're like "well, I started learning this, but it was too hard" or "can you tell me how to say X in Y" or "Geez, you probably can learn 150 languages by the time you're dead".

Alas, I try to brush it off by saying that I'm a normal human being like everyone else, but thanks though...

3. Derivative

Derivative Guest

Haha!

Something I hear quite often when people find out I study mathematics is "So you want to be a teacher then?".

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As if anyone actually supports the electoral college system.