1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JRPGs or WRPGs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Yosia, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Yosia

Do you prefer Japanese role playing games such as Final Fantasy and Tales of Xillia or Western role playing games like Fallout and Skyrim? Why?

2. kem

kem

Both, because I like pretty much all RPGs. I also like D&D and Pathfinder and the like. :slight_smile:

3. BornAnew

JRPG's for the unique battle systems, creative worlds & characters.

My loyalty will always lie with the greatest series of all time, FINAL FANTASY!!

FFXV will come & rule gaming!!! It will be hailed as the greatest game ever!!!!

**although I do love KOTOR..but that stems from my star wars love really...and Oblivion was amazing too.

4. White Knight

Westerns...

I like Anime and all but I have more easier time to understand Western humor and situations.

Tho I don't like all western RPGs as well. For me Skyrim feels more like a cheap MMO than actual RPG. Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age had good balance of customization, story, role playing and action... those games make you think and judge situations which is the real reason I love RPG genre.

5. Yosia

Final Fantasy yay!!!! Im playing FF:X HD Remaster on my ps vita ^^

6. Ryujin

I prefer Western Rpgs due to how monotonous the combat can get in a lot of JRPGs when everyone has the same rotation every battle. Also, random encounters are extremely annoying when they happen every 10 steps and just feel like an artificial way of increasing the game's length. I prefer western rpgs like Cube World and Diabolo as they have a much more free flowing style and more creative combat.

7. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    JRPGs because they tend to have better stories and I find the gameplay and aesthetics more appealing to me. And the music. Not to say I hate WRPGs. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are awesome, but I don't get the hype behind Elder Scrolls whatsoever.

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    JRPGs

theres just a certain quality to them that's just incomparable to western rpgs.

9. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never played WRPGs before, only JRPGs. But I can say that JRPGs are amazing. My favorite genre (besides action-adventure games).

10. BornAnew

YAY FINAL FANTASY FTW! haha

FFX is one of my fav ones...it must look GLORIOUS on the Vita :grin: ....enjoying it?

11. Shamash

I like WRPGs more, generally, because they usually have more to do. I feel like JRPGs tend to have rather boring combat.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Western RPGs. There need to be more of them, but I like their style better.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Japanese, for the unique worlds, battle systems, and the cast of characters.

I find that the Japanese RPGs tend to be more, well, emotional. Yes, some Western RPGs can have these, but I have never cried or felt emotionally compelled in one. Now, a Japanese RPG, there have been times, where, I'm like, "Holy shit, why would you do that to so-and-so? That's it, next boss battle, I'm fucking you up!"

That said, there is one important difference between the two:

Japanese RPGs tend to, for the most part, require more time and effort. You can't always just sit down and play one, which I like, because it gives the game longevity. However, Western RPGs tend to be, for the most part, easier to pick up and play. You can sit down and play them for a little bit, a while, or a long time. Skyrim is an example of this; you can spend days on it, or a few minutes, it all comes down to your mood. With a Japanese RPG, sometimes, you're at the mercy of the game, and where it scatters Save Points (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy X!).

14. vyvance

J-rpg for sure. Tend to enjoy the story, characters, and gameplay more often.

#14 vyvance, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  15. TabletopFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Up to my teenage years, I loved Jrpgs. But recently I think I'm more into Wrpgs, especially sand-box (open world) ones like The Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Probably because you're not forced into a linear plot or into a certain protagonist role.

16. Hiems

JRPG's because I played them more than WRPG's. Actually I don't think I've played a WRPG before o.o

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I like both, a lot! I went through a bad JRPG phase and a shameful WRPG phase lmao

I loved jrpgs when i was younger, but that shifted to wrpgs as i got older. jrpgs just felt too basic and repetitive for me in every aspect and it got tiring, playing them made me feel like a babby. There are still some gems though, but they fall in older releases rather than newer releases.

18. Midknight96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would have to say both.

19. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    WRPGs. I don't like how the Japanese style their games. There are other issues too. JRPGs typically have set stories designed for you to live through, whereas WRPGs have stories that you can make changes to based on how you play (either in regards to character story or overall game story - there is more choice).

With that said, I've never gotten into many JRPGs because I don't like the art direction of most of them.

20. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Japanese.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 09:21 PM ----------

The exceptions being Fate, Summoner 2, and Sphinx: The Cursed Mummy.